Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

.Midi to .ABC losing notes and other problems

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by etertay, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etertay

etertay Avatar

Hello,

Ive been having lots of fun with the music features, I am also having problems converting .midi to abc im not sure if this is a problem with sota, or a problem with the software doing the conversion (maestro)

Here is an example of my problem
    miditoabc_example.zip

So the essence of the problem is I convert a .midi file to .abc and some notes in the higher/lower registry's will be changed making it sound pretty bad in comparison to the midi.

I'm using maestro to convert my midi files and it is required to select the instrument from a list of LotrO instruments whether it be misty mountain harp or whatever.

the problem is that in LotrO these instruments have range limits (as far as I know sota's instruments dont) so what I think is happening is maestro taking my midi file and giving the closest approximation of what could be played in LotrO. so when I play the file in sota it's receiving this "fixed" version of the music.

in maestro different instruments have different ranges, and the instrument chosen will have an effect on which notes that are "fixed"

How can I convert my .midi files so they arent limited by lotrO instruments. I'm having this problem regardless of the instrument I play in sota even piano's (which shouldnt have too many range problems) are effected in the same way.

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, if not sorry in advance!

Mata and Tahru like this.
  2. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Ya I think it's intended. Sota's single instruments are not intended to playback complete scores and therefore the range of notes is the same as each instrument. Especially some instruments like guitar can be transposed differently as well so you need to use a midi editor to edit the .mid to whatever you want. It's a very easy process if you have a good midi editor.

Mata likes this.
  3. etertay

etertay Avatar

I dont think its a sota problem, Im having the same problem in the .abc player. Lotro's instruments definately have limits but i dont think sota's do. but I cant find a converter that will ignore the range limits that Lotro instruments have. baiscally lack of proper conversion tools. even if sota's instruments do have range limits they definatly should change depending on the insturment im playing which they dont.

Mata likes this.
  4. Brax

Brax Avatar

Mata likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.