1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Might be worth Devs noting: 4/5 of wishlist requests AREN'T combat related

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Vladamir Begemot, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That's in the first couple pages I counted, the third page seems to be holding about the same. I'm going to guess it is a trend that goes pretty far back.

So just throwing that out there, if 4/5'ths of the work is going into combat, and 4/5ths of the requests are for stuff other than combat....

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I mean, apart from Chris, who works on combat? There is a guy dedicated to crafting, 2 or more guys dedicated to world building/animations/decorations, and then Chris who does Combat + Lua + Inky + Most every bit and bob that I notice.

Doubt 4/5ths of the work is going into combat, maybe Chris simply does his work faster because he just has to tweak numbers in his code vs making art/animations/etc. ?

Numa likes this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I don't intend to start a giant storm, just wanted to point this out. Looking at the last few months release notes + the 2020 vision has most of the stuff in adventure zone creation (mostly for combat, although gatherers benefit) and combat proper.

I imagine it won't change much, but I am sure the message has been seen, so my job here is done.

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

(I realize I have a ton in the first few pages because of bringing back necros from the past, but even five pages back it looks about the same)

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Try looking in Feedback instead of Wishlists...
    Combat peeps tend to post more in Feedback than Wishlists.........

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That's a good point.

Another good point would be, Combat Peeps have things to give feedback on. Everyone else is just standing around wishing.

Gravidy, Numa and craftymethod like this.
  7. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Combat stuff is needed, but I think combat is a sinkhole when so many other awesome polish ideas are suffering as a result.

Combat balance and database/server stuff are cool but to be honest, a lot of the promised polish on most other things is lacking.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Perhaps..... but what I see lacking most in your post is any mention of any specifics that a dev reading might choose to act upon.

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sounds fair, a forum for each.

10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

That is a very interesting observation! I have no data, but my impression (which may be faulty) has been that most explosive complaints and rage quitting has been connected with combat/PVP. Maybe that would explain the bias for combat. If the quest system/journal had ever matched my expectations as an old Ultima fan, I would be happy with the game even if we had to shoot at aardvarks with marshmallows. Unfortunately, the whole quest aspect of the game was sub-standard from day one and it still hasn't been fixed. I assume that the focus on combat is to blame. The single player version of the game was an opportunity missed. I played it for a while and liked having companions to protect me, but it never lived up to a single player game which needs a fantastic quest/journal system.

11. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yup, does seem Feedback is more geared for alteration of existing systems, where wish lists has a more "new and more" feel to it.

FrostII, Anpu, Lily Byrd and 2 others like this.
  12. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I can't speak for @craftymethod but I'm sure he means polish to the UI, Journal, Merchants that sit for no reason etc. It's easy to go back and see all of the non-combat related issues people have posted. Although that's different from a wishlist I guess.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  13. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I just hope more people work on these small wishlist tasks than seasonal and birthday items. :)

My birthday is in Febuary and I would love if that was celebrated by having a wishlist task completed such as being able to piss off a guard by pulling my sword out.

Or a new splash screen xD

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Not exactly what I meant.

You know I used to flood the feedback forums with stuff, because things I was interested in were getting implemented alongside the combat stuff. The reposting of wishlist things from my past is only about 1/20th of the posts I have, or less. There were tons of bugs, design stuff, etc.

Now what is there for me to give feedback on? "Nothing has changed in ages." There's my feedback. "Mannequins was the last thing that made any difference on my game." There's my feedback. "Lua turned out to just be for combat people." There's my feedback. "The one crafting UPGRADE of salvaging more items is for combat people, they are the ones with the stacks of weapons." There's my feedback. "The constant crafting NERFS with artifacts is also directly for combat people, suck it crafters." There's my feedback.

In other words, the reason combat is what you see in feedback is because combat is the ONLY thing that is new, so the only thing to leave feedback on.

The rest of us are just whistling in the wind, waiting for very actionable items (vendor requests from 3 years ago, promised 3 years ago) to be worked on.

The priority is combat. Chris loves combat. Chris owns the game. But it may be worth noting that other people exist. Or, as I have requested before, just tell us that we're not going to be getting any share of dev time, this is a combat game now, and let us know it's time to go away.

Gravidy and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.