Mines

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Ysold, Aug 15, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Now that I finally made my first visit to the Elysium mines, I realize all the more what a struggle it has been to gather enough ore for my needs, especially silver and tin. I have missed a good mine at tier 3 level so much!
    True, there are some mines at that level, but they either hardly have any ore or are too full of mobs for comfortable mining. I found going to those mines pretty much a waste of time. So I made do with the tier 1 mine in Highvale Outskirts and endless running around on the map looking for the right kind of encounters.
    I think the game could be improved immensely for the "younger" players if there was a tier 3 mine available that has a nice selection of ores and a low density of mobs.

Ysold.

Net likes this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

The risk-vs-reward would be imbalanced. There's fewer ore nodes, because it's an easier zone.

It's another thing that World of Warcraft got right. Sure, a level-60 player can go into a Level 1-10 zone and clean house on the Copper nodes.... but the ore is so worthless to a level-60, either to sell, or to craft (but worthwhile for the level 1-10), that it's almost entirely a waste of time. So why bother?

SOTA doesn't really have different-tiered ores. An exception may be silver/gold vs. iron/copper. The iron ore from a Tier-2 zone is worth the same as from a tier 10 zone (although I think they're working on the quantity scaling in some higher zones. But at the end of the day, the lower tiered zones shouldn't have more ore because they're easy and low level.

3. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

It would be nice to access some ore without needing to fight my way there. How many real world mines have monsters in them?

These places should exist even if there is far less yield.

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

As Chris is so fond of saying, realism should take a back seat to a coherently functional game. Real world mines frequently have permanent death from accidents.

5. oplek

oplek Avatar

Or, I suppose we could have our monster-free mines, if we also add in the ability to permanently deplete the ore. Might be interesting if we had to melt down older swords to make new ones, because there was no other metal to be found.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The current complete strangle hold of silver ore is honestly completely frustrating. The best output is only one area, Elysium Mines.

You can however find silver ore from Torc and the Clockwork Dragon too. Or visit the Snowy Mountain Road encounters and go get your whopping 3 silver nodes per scene..... meanwhile gold ore nodes are thrown all over the other overland encounter scenes.

About the only viable option a lower level character does have is to harvest wood and other materials, and sell that for gold and then purchase silver.

There really needs to be another viable silver ore alternative for miners instead of one scene in the entire game......

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It has been forever since I've been there, but Blackblade Foothills (t3, I think) has an underground mine area, and I think it's copper and silver. I used to mine there before they uncloned the scene, when it was a dupe of the strip mine scene. I didn't go there much after it was uncloned, as that was right around the time I was able to start mining in Elysium.

You have to solve a puzzle to get the door open, and you might find the elementals (earth and fire) tougher than you'd like. Don't bother with upper part of the underground area, its full of higher level skeletons, and I think there's only one or two ore nodes up there. But I used to get decent amounts of ore from that scene. Only other issue is I think the way nodes respawn got changed at some point, and I haven't been to that scene since then, that might affect how much ore you can get.

8. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'd see that as working-as-intended. Kind of. Of course more valuable materials are in more difficult areas.... whether we're talking about WoW or Eve Online. That's not really the problem.

This game has a lot of issues like that... one issue that's really only an issue because of other aspects of the game. It's similar to requiring RNG in crafting because "people would just make exactly what they wanted"... because there's little to no item loss/consumption in the game. Access to silver at a low level is only an issue because training crafting is tied to massive silver consumption.... which could be rectified by having apprentismentship quests... or just being able to apply skill points directly to the skill. That'd be preferable to scrambling the risk-vs-reward of the ore industry.

Going through the game's systems feels a lot like:

9. Net

Net Avatar

I think that while the scene is T3, the mine area seemed like a T5 area. It is a decent scene for mining... and lava fishing though. There are also some nodes outside, I think the high rocks with air runestone have some nice low level silver nodes.

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

It would actually be interesting to calculate the per hour output of Blackblade Foothills for silver at my level of character skills. I do know what that number is for Elysium Mines for my character. Not really going to be expecting much however.... ;)

11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

No, it's garbage compared to Elysium. But was much better than the chintzy low-level silver mine they put in which utterly failed to address the problem that caused them to put it in.

I'm actually heading over there now, as it was probably forty or fifty levels ago the last last time I did, and now I'm curious.

Oh, hey, it's a T2 scene. I thought it was T3.

Net and Anpu like this.
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

What a cool, wasted scene.

I mean, they couldn't be bothered to give any dialog at all to the people in the oasis camp? Really?

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Well, maybe someday they could Level scale the scene and put in a daily quest there....

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, not a terrible number of ore nodes, but mostly copper and iron. I got about 20 silver in ten minutes, but I wasn't letting any meticulous play out, since I took my skill higher once we started getting XP, and lower level players might not have that. Of course, I was able to mow through enemies pretty easily, so if you factor in fighting, you might be able to mine somewhat more consistently, as the fights will give time for the ore to respawn.

Interestingly, they were all T5 nodes in the caverns. Didn't think to check what they were up above, I only grabbed the two or thee silver nodes on top of the mesa.

Above ground nodes were lower tier. I think you could probably count the underground area as T5. I think I could do it at lower levels because you didn't get swarmed, and I was an archer.

Anyway, if Elysium is tough for you @Ysold this was probably a poor recommendation on my part.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Anpu and Net like this.
  15. Net

Net Avatar

The other nodes are T2 or T3 iirc, only the mine is T5

Anpu likes this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, was editing when you posted this. :)

Net likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.