MINING IS BROKE?!?!? WHEN will it be fixed?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Humblemeister, Jun 18, 2017.

?

How Long will it take to become a GM Blacksmith and Masterworker under the current Ore available?

1. It will probably never happen in my lifetime

38.9%
  2. I will be old and grey IF it ever happens

22.2%
  3. In a few years while I enjoy playing the overall game

41.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Aortic thrombis

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Wow, amazing how threads get sidetracked...
    As for what the OP said:
    @Fionwyn Wyldemane summed it up quite precisely :
    I too group on a daily basis with at least a dozen avatars, inside and outside of my guild, and we are ALL in agreement regarding the availability of ores in the "new" mines.

Nobody is asking for "easy", but we unanimously agree that gathering ores should be "reasonable".
    Currently - it's like Fionwyn said - sadistic and punishing. :mad:

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  3. eli

eli Avatar

Personally, I think the "old" mines were sadistic too. I would certainly never spend time in mines now. Nothing redeeming about the experience at all... it's a designed grind.

I have to assume they were primarily interested in making the game hard for bots, which is kind of like hatchet surgery on the central crafting activity.

To rationalize that choice, my guess is they either: thought the mines became less tedious because there's more adventury stuff (disagree), or just decided that adventure scenes and shardfalls have enough resource nodes that mines did not need to be relevant (maybe agree).

4. Boedy Arc

Boedy Arc Avatar

was just on skilling armory enchant... its 4V4 but think was maybe arround nr. 20 and my skills high to 95% 87% 50% 16% 8%

5. Numa

Numa Avatar

Not to mention that some crafting specializations don't go together. There's a good reason why master blacksmiths don't make masterclass musical instruments in their spare time.

King Robert and Bow Vale like this.
  6. Boedy Arc

Boedy Arc Avatar

i can say to you for me isnt level 100 a real GM..... i prefer to say level 140 is for me a real GM or maybe title Legendary Grand Master? :)

Zader and King Robert like this.
  7. Humblemeister

Humblemeister Avatar

IF Leveling was an ISSUE, I would have said so. LEVELING is not the issue of my original post. SUPPLY of ORE is my issue. I do not mind it taking a few years to get to GM. Some of you have misinterpreted me completely.

I dont mind the labor of hard work in getting to GM. What I do mind is that GM (for a working family man who doesnt have hours each day to spend in the game), in stead of years away (before the change) is now possibly a decade away for me with these mines.

They appears that they are changing all of the mines, NERFING them. I think they have the cart out in front of the horse at the moment. It is SO FRUSTRATING.

ttyl

FrostII and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I couldn't agree more, whether personally IRL or in SotA! :D

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, however unregulated (or weakly regulated) markets adjust in ways that are not preferable...
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/16/real_estate/rising-home-costs-affordability-harvard/index.html

In RL this results in things like "the great recession" and the second great recession (coming soon to a country near you). In the case of SOTA it results in people quitting the game and going somewhere else where they can have fun.

I'm a big supporter of the player driven economy, regional markets, and even having winners and losers in our game. But I'm not in support of designing a game where the winners are always the winners, and the losers are always the losers. It's not fun in real life when that happens either (unless you're the winner I suppose).

10. Drocis the Devious

I already told you why, because then higher level players would mine the hell out of them because they have less risk.

Less risk, less reward.

Do tell.

[​IMG]

I can mine anywhere solo without the slightest problem. There are some mines that are more challenging than others, but if I wanted to be a full time miner I could certainly do that. If they put tons of ore somewhere that make it highly unlikely I would ever be killed, I'd go mine the hell out of that place because ore is very expensive and I need it to raise my enchanting and masterwork skills.

So I know quite a bit about what I'm talking about and this is not a problem with the supply of ore, as I stated before it's a problem with the crafting and economy systems as a whole. The supply of ore for new players is just a small symptom of a much larger disease.

Onyx likes this.
  11. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Easy Fix...

Keep Owls nest a good spot to mine for early miners and then INCREASE the amount of ore you can mine in the harder areas... Easy fix. Early on you get 1-3 ore per attempt and then as you get better, wow you can mine more ore from same node in HARDER areas only.. So as you get better you can gradually increase the amount of ore you can obtain from nodes in higher areas.

12. Drocis the Devious

That's already what we're doing right now. There's more ore nodes in the harder areas.

What you're suggesting would just increase the overall ore in the game, thus reducing the grind of gaining levels in crafting skills and crafted items.

Numa and Onyx like this.
  13. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

In this thread, the good Baron is quite correct. Things may improve for the newer players after they finish balancing things out a bit, but we're not there as yet. On another note, in my opinion, Verdantis Mine and Serpent Spine Mine are no longer mines they are adventuring zones.

14. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

It's part and parcel of the same problem. If they fixed levelling, then maybe nerfing the mines wouldn't be a problem.

15. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

NO what I am suggesting is to allow lower level miners to have spots to mine and not take stuff away from them.. For those of us who can mine alone in Spectral, Graff Gem and Elysium, we have our locations but those who cannot do not have anything now.. They took away the average / medium level areas of Verdantis and Serpents Spine mines so where can they go to gather stuff now?? Before it was staggered where you would to go Owl's nest and mine, move to serpents spine mines, and then up to the harder mines and as you gain skills you move to areas where you can gain more up to the point where your at Spectral, Graff Gem and Elysium.

Kaffien and FrostII like this.
  16. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Fwiw, I have pretty much zero risk mining silver and gold. removing ore from Owls nest doesn't penalize high level players... it only hurts lower lvls.

oh also.. @Humblemeister I didn't take the poll because imo it's skewed You have no option for "It's fine as is" or "I'll get there soon enough". It is based entirely on the assumption that your premise is correct. If you want a real poll, something to be taken seriously you need to include viewpoints that might differ from yours.

Aldo, Zader and FrostII like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

I think you missed my point.

If Owl's Head suddenly gave you 5 times more ore, why wouldn't you go there where the risk of dying is even less?

18. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I dont really think anyone is concerned about making sure not everyone is a GM of anything whether blacksmithing, combat, etc. thats why there are no skill caps. Essentially the 0 skill cap decision stated they really didnt care about any one player having a role in the game. Its like its a single player game (Hence can do everything) with an MMO aspect just to sell store goods. I mean lets be honest whom would drop 100s or thousands of dollars in a store if the game was single player only. People need and want to show off their things. Whether its some expensive store bought item, or a questing hat that is no longer available. I think the online portion of the game is purely for income. There lies the problem. Most the online players are seeing the game isnt an MMO in a true sense, and single player people are seeing they are focusing on the MMO side more that the single player. that just my $.02 ill offer you $.01 for a response lol j/k....... funny thing though... ever notice how the saying goes heres my two cents, then the other saying is a penny for your thoughts? Goes to show we all value our own opinion over others.

Please spare me the "SOTA never claimed to be an MMO claim as well"

19. Drocis the Devious

I do think that the developers should be concerned about everyone being a GM in (for example) Blacksmithing.

If everyone is a GM, why would anyone need to buy from another player? They'd just make everything themselves. It's a classless system for a reason, so that when they nerf things players have flexibility to change their character builds. But when it comes to crafting, it doesn't make any sense for everyone to have everything, it ruins the player driven economy.

I believe they will have to put skill caps into the game for crafting.

Korim Rackham likes this.
  20. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I think skill caps period would a positive direction forward. So have to say i agree with you on Skill caps for crafting. Id also like to see it with other skills! Specifically combat oriented skills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.