Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mining... the ultimate grind?

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Pleione, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

Suspect the progression is going to be slow enough that many won't bother. That is NOT a bad thing - it means there will be a market for ore that those that DO bother will benefit from.

I currently at a proficiency of 13, after a couple of hours of mining. In the past hour, I've been mining and reading the forum (since mining speed is so slow), and managed to gather all of 9 ore in Owl's Nest. Mostly failed attempts, but even those bump skill level. Believe I'm now up to a 32% chance of success...

All of this difficulty will make my future success all the sweeter!

Edit: Strange, buy mining also just bumped my Deflection skill?!?!? Cause and effect apparently needs work...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

My mining proficiency is 13 as well in the past hour I been mining in South Valeway. I have a 97% chance of success and I am averaging about 20 to 25 ore an hour. The one thing that doesn't make sense to me is why is success in Gathering so much affected by the level of the area. I mean why would I venture into an area where I have a 20% chance of mining a bronze node filled with higher mobs to get 1 chunk of ore when I can stay in a zone with lower level mobs where my chances are 95%+ of getting the same 1 chunk of ore.

Osiris3 and Sara Dreygon like this.
  3. chunderbun

chunderbun Avatar

I also personally think the requirements to make an ingot are too high, and would much prefer 2 ore = 1 ingot, or 1 ore + 6 scrap metal = 1 ingot. It's tedious even with meticulous collection and puts me off ever making more than one piece of equipment. Iron ingots alongside copper should be base metals where 2 ore = 1 ingot, then maybe make gold, nickel, silver etc. 4/1. Then you can just keep the mining system the same but make it faaaar less time consuming.

I think the success rates are because you're mining in dungeons and mines vs. overworld "easy" spots. The "harder" veins tend to be larger and probably have a higher rate of double drops and better meticulous drop rates. Don't quote me on that though.

Osiris3 likes this.
  4. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

And I SUSPECT easier spots yield less tin, nickel, and whatnot.

I also like it as it is. I suspect few will invest the hundreds of hours needed to get good at mining, and that in turn will make crafted armor a lot more valuable.

That said, if someone comes up with a macro to mine that is half effective, it will really really unbalance things.

5. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

The thing is all of the refining and production skills are not in game yet. I think that the 4 to 1 ratio is balanced for what is planned for these skills. In this post it shows what there concepts for crafting skills is going to be once implemented. With more refining skills you will get more return on your base components. So with a higher refining quantity skill the ratio will become 4 to 2, 4 to 3, 4 to 4, etc.

6. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

Actually, to my surprise, things are now mapped into Refining and Production...

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You can mine in owl's nest? Interesting.
    I would say you are mining at the wrong spot. In mining I see no real difference from the last release so far. At my spots at least.

8. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

Ok, ok. The mine available up the hill from the Owl's Nest entrance. That said, the screen calls it "Owl's Nest" and it has a dozen or more nodes plus a lot of blue crystal (handy for early money). It is my primary mining location.

Osiris3 likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Then you haven't been using Metal Scrap. I need to do more mining just to keep the weight of salvage scrap from breaking the floor in the bank.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Duke Raas likes this.
  11. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

Yeah - salvage is stretching my mining 4 to 1 now. Stupid scrape is HEAVY! (I had 330kg from salvaging rusty elf swords in one run).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.