Minor Tweak for Deck System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Banker, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Banker

The Banker Avatar

Today, as I was engaged in combat, my opponent turned to flee. My first inclination was to slow him and shoot him in the back. After consulting with my deck, though, it appeared that adopting a defensive stance, attempting to tame the local wildlife twice and then recalling would be the far more prudent course of action.

Following my decks suggestion, I raised my shield and proceeded to tame the creatures. With 2 rabbits in hand, I immediately began teleporting. Unfortunately, the wolf came back and mauled me before I was able to escape but that is besides the point.

Quite frankly, this experience has left me feeling a bit too overpowered.

Rather than strategically being able to use my skills at the appropriate time, the deck assists me in this decision by consistently giving me the most effective means to win.

I think our current deck system can use a few minor adjustments.

Change our current system to the locked skill with resource/time requirement used in pretty much every other successful game.

In another menu, use our current deck system as it is and add things like Ace of Clubs or King of Diamonds to the top left and bottom right of each card.

This should allow us to keep the nostalgia of the old DnD dice roll while adding a touch of modern combat mechanics.

Fister Magee likes this.
  2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

A bad workman blames his tools.....I think in this instance the deck builder is at fault not the deck system. If you would like to lock all your skills, the options yours....

Makaryus Drach, NRaas and Alley Oop like this.
  3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I have no idea what is going on here... :confused:

*quietly shuffles out of thread*

Oba Evesor and Makaryus Drach like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well for me, the skills I want to be available are locked in their slots. Like I allow 3 rows of the different heals at least since I play a paladin/trying to support others type of player at times when grouping. The way each person's deckis set up can make the combat system much more interesting and functional for how they like to play. Extensive work has been done to improve it and great suggestions are important of course to continue to improve. BTW welcome to the game Rook Strife. I am Majoria in game if I can assist you anytime or for just saying hello add me to your friends list if you would like. :)

5. Makaryus Drach

Makaryus Drach Avatar

I completely agree. Save for actual minor tweaks, I think the deck system is brilliant. When I started playing, I didn't understand all aspects of the game (for weeks), especially deck mechanics. But just as gaining experience in-game, I gained experience with the deck system. In fact, learning to play this game is exactly why it draws me in and, ultimately, post this feedback. The deck system has a supreme (+25%) amount of potential, given balance in other areas of combat.

Bow Vale and moko like this.
  6. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

There's some older but good YouTube tutorials out there, and a couple threads in the Game Features - Combat subforum here

7. Shezep

Shezep Avatar

Deck building is much like rabbit training. Some critters need to be locked down and told to "sit" and "stay," while others are happier and healthier when given room to run. You don't want them to run just anywhere, so you must assign them and their packmates to the kennel that is most convenient for you. Also, make sure you remove any strays from the yard or they will start throwing slugs. Getting hit by a slug is not pretty. It's not nice to the slug either. (I consider myself to be a novice at deck building, so there's probably more to it than that, but what I've got seems useable so far.)

8. moko

moko Avatar

The dynamic deck is actually one of the features I really like in this game. You're free to lock all your glyphs if that's your thing. Maybe try giving the slots a certain function, i.e. One slot for buffs, one for mere range attacks, one for ranged attacks, so you have all kinds of situations covered?

9. Dexter4

Dexter4 Avatar

dont give them any more ideas how to make things even less fun ok .

10. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I have done some changes to my deck lately. Current things i need to increase for next tree levels are locked. Heals and odd glyphs in one rolling slot...defensive in another...magic in one and combat in another. I keep one heal locked. Just wish the tool bar was bigger or we could stack a second toolbar. Waiting for cards to flip over for something tends to get me killed often....but i am learning to depend on other things at times. Bigger weapon....stepping back from mobs to regroup. Its rough being a sword fighter at times especially against mages and archers but i usually just rush them and jab and swipe them to death. LOL. And i wish they would fix the Distract glyph. It never works.

11. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Sounds like you just need to learn how to properly build a deck.

This is my main damage deck for example:
    Slot 1: Chain Lightning, Lightning, Ring of Fire
    Slot 2: Chain Lightning, Lightning, Ring of Fire
    Slot 3: Chain Lightning, Lightning, Ring of Fire
    Slot 4: Chain Lightning, Lightning, Ring of Fire
    Slot 5: Healing Touch, Healing Burst
    Slot 6: Blink (Locked) mapped to Q key
    Slot 7: Death Shield (Locked) mapped to middle mouse button
    Slot 8: Shield of Ice (Locked) mapped to mouse button on the right side of my mouse
    Slot 9: Passive Stance (Locked)
    Slot 10: Defensive Stance (Locked)

Card Totals:
    5x Chain Lightning
    5x Lightning
    2x Ring of Fire
    4x Healing Touch
    2x Healing Burst

I have Enlightenment, Air's Embrace, Strength of Earth, and Shield of Crystal all on my non-combat bar for use in between fights. My recall and teleport scrolls, summoned elemental, and light spell are also all on my non-combat bar.

This is a good deck building guide: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...od-and-how-to-modify-it-for-your-needs.58341/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.