MMO/UO Vet.. Is the combat going to scare me away from SOTA?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Asan Drakus, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xail

Xail Avatar

I report some comment a player just made 1 minute ago while logged:

him:shroud looks like a "Barbie online" game
    me:...
    him:more development on building a house than on the combat part
    me:...
    him:all these events, let's drink virtually and dance together...euh what?! I can go out in real life

I post this because he unfortunately at the moment was totally right...and I tried to be optimistic but he basically crashed my mood to the ground...because he was telling true stuff and I could not counter...

2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

lolololololololololololololol

Atogrim likes this.
  3. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I at least quite like the sound of the new "Free Attack" feature coming with R19 today.

• Free Attack: We're experimenting with a free attack mode this release. If autoattack is disabled in the options, the player will use the free attack mode if they are using a melee weapon. With free attack, the player only swings when they click and release the left mouse button. More rapid clicking will produce more frequent, but weaker blows than the old autoattack. Clicking and holding charges up a more powerful attack that will be unleashed upon releasing the button. Free attack ignores selected targets and instead only hits the space in front of them, where they swing their weapon.

Atogrim and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Borg

Borg Avatar

I wonder how will it work because actually you have to use left click to move your character......

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  5. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I do not move with the left mouse button at all. I move my character with the keyboard, specifically "w", "a", "s" and "d". However, I am using the right mouse button for camera control. I see no problem using the left mouse button for striking with a melee weapon, and I like the flexibility of choosing between quick, but low damage and slower, but harder hitting attacks. Finally a combat mode that disables selected targeting as well, and instead uses actual physics and placement to decide who or what you hit.

Ravicus Domdred and Albus like this.
  6. Borg

Borg Avatar

If you left click while holding RMB your character will start moving...and that may cause some issues...

Ice Queen and mikeaw1101 like this.
  7. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

True. I'd suggest disabling that entirely while having "Free Attack" enabled.

8. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Hot tip... it sucks.

And you guys thought that combat system was an afterthought! WAIT TILL YA SEE THIS LITTLE GEM!

9. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Oh no...

10. pirAte gAmbit

pirAte gAmbit Avatar

So a lot of peeps cry about the combat system ... what I see in it (when we take away the current unbalanced state):

+ Its innovative and hey, its not that much different from classic "cooldown" system

+ Skill to lock glyphs in place so you can have big handsize, some glyphs locked (combo on a stick) and some dynamics

+ Adds dynamic feeling of the fight

+ Makes you pay attention, plan ahead - instead of just "zombie" pressing keys

+ Combos and spell stacking

+ Realtime-turnbased-feeling (for me personally its ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++)

+ From RP point of view it is so much better to try to "cmooon figure out the speel in my head / the right sword swung .... AAAA my good how do I heal, how do I heal, somene help!" and get better and better (draw faster, more spells in deck, bigger handsize, ...) than just gets skill, assign it to hotbar and spam spam spam

- Takes time to get used to it and still needs tweaking/work/polish

SEMI TURN BASED CARD LIKE ALL RANDOM WHOOOP WHOOOP COMBAT SYSTEM ON YOU YOU LAZY "oldschool" GAMERS :-D

11. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

"SEMI TURN BASED CARD LIKE ALL RANDOM WHOOOP WHOOOP COMBAT SYSTEM ON YOU YOU LAZY "oldschool" GAMERS :-D"

This sums up the experience of using the deck combat system in ways I could only dream of expressing.

pirAte gAmbit likes this.
  12. orcscout

orcscout Avatar

To OP:
    Yes it will. Save yourself those $$$. I went ahead without much research and spent it. Then had that terrible surprise. Then said f@#$ it and tried it for 3 weeks. At the end, I just couldn't lie to myself it anymore, it would make me nauseous I had to give up. The combat is literally unbearable.

Is there such a thing as realtime-turnbased? I think there's such a thing called failing at real time and having just fast turn-based. 2015... $6+ million collected .... do we deserve this?

13. recon0303

recon0303 Avatar

Sad that the combat is still weak, I been saying this for years how slow and how bad the combat is, its very dated, I actually work in the gaming industry and feel we have the ability to make better combat, I can't understand why some of these games are still way behide... Those said to me wait a year, well, I waited almost 2 and it still is slow and boring combat, I left the game after sadly I got many people to buy it, I love every other aspect of the game but the combat is such a turn off I just can't play , and the horrible loading screens..

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  14. Logain

Logain Avatar

I hope you don't mind me being curious, but mind linking to your portfolio?

Atogrim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.