Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mob toughness

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Royou, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    this does not invalidate my opinion. And yes, people will use the totems as a reference and will not proceed, they wont attempt to explore. You see it as frustrating when people die in exploration. I see it as unpreparedness. Be cautious when exploring. Go slow, look at your surroundings, if you see something scary run like hell. But to play a game with indicators on levels really is not ultima-ish. Not even in UO did they have them. You could go into a dungeon and die at the entrance from a dragon, or you could get ganked, or you could get some one to explore with. There were no level gates in the ultima series that I remember really. Maybe we need a "NEW" guild to help people explore, promote the social aspect.

4EverLost and Fox Cunning like this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont see dying in exploration to be frustrating at all. I see dying as a new player with no idea where to go and accruing gear damage and expensive ammo loss as a result to be frustrating. If your intent is exploration and excitement, then tier markers will not stop you at all. If your looking for resources or a place to kill stuff, then they help.

A new player has little option in preparedness

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I'm not going to argue about this. I see the game as an adventure when you see the game as farming materials.

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

No i dont.
    I hate farming and grinding. I love exploring and finding stuff out. But more often than not, a new person might go into 5 different scenes and never find a situation they can handle, and justgive up. Tier markers shed light on why that is happening to them.

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  5. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

I think the problem there is that the player is given no idea where to go. You can think about skull markers as a solution to that, I find it a very inelegant one.

For example, NPCs at the entrances /exits of nearby civilised areas could recognise the player's low level and have a warning "bark".
    E.g. "Be careful, we have reports of dragons in the woods north of here!".

Also finding a dragon's lair with a trail of blood leading to it and corpses in broken armour scattered around the entrance should prepare and warn the player well enough. That is unless the devs leave the dragons homeless as they seem to be at the moment. :D

Short version: in my very humble opinion players being clueless is not a consequence of the lack of skull markers. Skull markers do not give a clue: they give a spoiler.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I agree with, and like, the idea of having nocs chatter in town about surrounding areas. While the skull markers roughly gauge an areas difficulty, it still doesnt do a new player any good unless they figure out what they are for.

I like the npc barking idea better cuz it feels more natural and makes it easier for new people to catch on to. Having them talk automatically also helps those who would not think to talk to the townsfolk to find out stuff.

Also i think there are some npc's that do that already but i may be wrong

7. Royou

Royou Avatar

So time for a noob question from me, I know I'm not a noob but........ What the hell are these skull markers that every body keeps talking about, as I am clueless and do not have a clue to what you are all talking about :p

Mata and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

There are sticks near the entrances of some scenes with skulls on them. Not every scene has them yet, and some are easy to miss (i.e. not always visible when you first zone in). Took me awhile until I noticed a post Themo did that showed one and had the AHA moment.

Kara Brae, Mata, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  9. Abraxas

Abraxas Avatar

I'm hoping that as more story line and quest line content is added there will be some direction for beginning players to follow. As it is now you run out of that direction fairly quickly because, I think, they are saving the real content for after the technical aspects of game play are smoothed out.
    Hopefully the first town you come across will have enough npc dialogue and potential questing to get you going and give you information about enough areas for you to explore in early leveling and until you branch off to new towns with more information. Rumors around town about spells that can heal curses, a hunters advice about how to kill wolves, etc. A player should be able to learn a lot from the talk of the town. I have no doubt that will happen more and more.

10. Mata

Mata Avatar

;)
    [​IMG]

Royou and Kara Brae like this.
  11. Royou

Royou Avatar

Thank you Mata, I never really stop to look and just run through, so have missed these every time, thank you for taking the time to show me :)

Mata likes this.
  12. Mata

Mata Avatar

You're welcome! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.