Moderate moderation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by that_shawn_guy, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Berek, I love you and Portalarium, I love this game. However - whoever changed Fruck's name to FOREST APPLES is in violation of all forms of common sense. It's outrageous and I cannot, in good conscious call this out behind the scenes.

I am contacting Portalarium here on the forums out in the open. Fat lot of good it will do, but I'm doing it anyway. :mad:

2. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

A player with a character named Stinky Britches had his name forcibly changed as well a few years ago. The reasoning behind the forced change was the surname, if the r was removed, would be considered offensive.

This was brought up before and the action defended before.

3. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

The suggestion that you should contact them prior to if you have any questions is laughable when words that can be changed in to other words by adding, removing, or changing a letter appears to be an invisible clause in name moderation practices.

That said, I'd like to ask @Berek or @Cerus why @Spoon 's forum name has not also been forcibly changed? Has he proven via government issued ID or birth certificate that his mother named him Spoon? Removing the S would leave an obvious offensive term.

Let me suggest a response. "Because that is foolish."

4. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

LOL...we would have to remove the Chaos Spoon too because maybe we aren't really talking about a *utensil*? :confused::

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Spoon_of_Chaos

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Already covered that and the replacement, from upthread:

Already covered that and why one should be weary about user Reports, from upthread:

6. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Apologies for the redundancy

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm sorry but I still see a LOT of character names who are blatantly violating the naming policy - sometimes in more than one way - that have been reported by myself and others, both via support ticket and via messaging on this forum, and nothing has been done. So I'm confused as to why 'some' people are getting forced name change and other, extreme cases are not.

Based on things that haven't been changed/moderated, I'm really surprised we aren't overrun with avatars named various miss-spellings of Luke Skywalker. Not because Luke's offensive, but its a reference to a famous person, and more than a little immersion breaking to have 8 different spellings of him running around, as you see in a lot of other games.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I remember during sales training how things like this affect business. For every positive reaction is equal to 1 positive referral. For every negative reaction is equal to 4 negative responses. If they want to keep upsetting the already small player base then we all know where this will go. People who like things are content. People that get upset tell all there friends.

9. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

The name change was ridiculous and whoever did it should be ashamed.

10. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

The problem that exists in this community is the moderation bias. Rules arent enforced equally.

I remember having a guildmate getting perma banned from this game because he insulted a female streamer streaminh the game. She reported him to port. However I lately had several reports filed against individuals who insulted people the same way... even that streamer did.. but nothing happened. Now suddenly they claim if its not happening in their forums or chat it doesnt matter.

11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You can find anything if you want to, that's why it's our job to ensure fair moderation, not excessiveness that would rule out all of these names :). At the end of the day, it's our call with the person involved, not the general community's public consensus.

We use simple basic words to ensure there is no ambiguity. There are reasons for this.

QUOTE="kaeshiva, post: 1013350, member: 124241"]I'm sorry but I still see a LOT of character names who are blatantly violating the naming policy - sometimes in more than one way - that have been reported by myself and others, both via support ticket and via messaging on this forum, and nothing has been done. So I'm confused as to why 'some' people are getting forced name change and other, extreme cases are not.

Based on things that haven't been changed/moderated, I'm really surprised we aren't overrun with avatars named various miss-spellings of Luke Skywalker. Not because Luke's offensive, but its a reference to a famous person, and more than a little immersion breaking to have 8 different spellings of him running around, as you see in a lot of other games.[/QUOTE]

Please report it, thanks!

Yes, the rules are enforced evenly. If you see something that should be moderated though, please report it. We may simply not have seen it.

If anyone has any other questions or concerns with the name policy, please feel free to contact us! Until then, there's nothing 'funny' or 'strange' going on here, it's a basic name policy all, you can go back to playing the game now without worrying about it :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.