Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Monster Loot from players

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Fredrick FlameGrinder, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Way back in the days. Portalarium said players would be able to find other player crafted weapons and Armour as loot from killing monsters which had conquered those players.
    Has this gone into effect yet?
    Did they say when it would go i into effect?
    I still feel less than happy at the loot I am finding on enemies and do not feel like adventuring much.
    If this was implemented at least there would be more found good treasure.
    I know there is artifacts to be found supposedly, but this is different from what they spoke about.
    Or are the artifacts the said treasure?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

AFAIK, they kicked that idea around but never said that they were definitely going to do it. I hope they never make me lose my stuff for dying; dying is already penalizing enough.

Tamsen and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

I understood the feature as crafted goods sold to NPC, not actually eaten PC loot by mobs, but had the fiction that other adventures bought the goods and got eaten. Sounded like a good idea to me, no idea what happened.

4. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering the same thing.

In UO I remember seeing the monsters looting dead players. Then we had to go back and kill the monster to get it back.

5. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

This is what I remember also.

But I did like in UO when a mob would rummage through a dead players corpse and take something, and then carry that item (often a bag full of lewt) until someone killed them. I would love to see that in SotA.

6. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

yes dying is very painful. Maybe another idea is you don't lose anything, but the monster is tagged with a copy of some item of the killed player.
    I like that, is that implemented does anyone know? I ha
    I have not seen low level crafted gear for any loot with a player's name crafted by etc , has anyone else?
    Thanks for the input.

Tamsen and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  7. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I think this was more or less the basic idea they had but I think they are still working on the “normal” loot tables of the monsters and those additions would (if still part of the plan) be a later step.
    But even if that would be already a working mechanic…are there any crafters selling stuff to NPCs? As far as I remember most avatars either use their products themselves, sell them to other avatars or recycle them. Just “junk loot” is sold to NPCs to generate gold and that way we will never know if this is some normal loot or a rare drop of an item another avatar sold to an NPC as both items would look identical. Maybe we would know it if we would loot out of e.g. a skeleton archer a mages staff…but I do not think anyone is looking that closely on the loot to notice that. ;)

8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Maybe it's still there... but who sells crafted loot to NPCs?

9. Selene

Selene Avatar

I have heard the idea of monsters having player loot sold to vendors kicked around more than once in a post-mortem. I also heard about boss mobs having the chance to loot an item of yours if they killed you.

Neither of these has been fully confirmed or implemented.

Sounds like a way to dupe items. :( Don't think that would work.

Would be cool if NPCs had "purchase order" type quests to make items and then THOSE items could be found out in the world on monsters.

10. mass

mass Avatar

I've made all kinds of crappy stuff to level my crafting skills that no one would buy, but would be fun to sell to vendors if you knew they would end up as loot drops. Particularly stuff that is useful for new players, but too expensive for them during the first 20 levels. It's cool to think they might loot something you made that actually helped them along.

11. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

If I remember, items that players put on the public vendors if left until the expiration of the sale will not be returned to the players but will be sold to a npc vendor and that money will be given to the player.

Then it might go towards drop loot on a monster.

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Mind you, we are discussing mobs looting people and not a PvP flagged person in PvP.

In UO I could run around with a cheap deadly poisoned Kryss and slay stuff with deadly poison.

In SOTA, my current set of wands probably cost me 100 hours in play time to make and hundreds of thousands of gold. This is because it probably took 25 wands (masterwork, which means 100 wands made) to make them along with all the gold and silver Ore for enchanting.

My Bronze chest chain piece took 7 masterworked versions (35 total chests made to get 7 masters) to make along with all the gold and ore (and still does not have the stats I really want). Hundred hours of mining, BS'ing and then all the gold and silver ore to great them while making them.

I am not a fan.. what so ever... of mobs being able to loot me and drop the loot to other players.

This is still why I dont flag for PvP to this day.

13. HalfPint

HalfPint Avatar

Every so often, I accidently sell a piece of my own equipment as I sell mob gear to an npc. There is no way to recover that mistake so it would be nice for the gear to find it's way to a mob for a chance of getting it back.

14. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

What are the penalties for dying? I just run to an Ankh and resurrect? I haven't researched though so there might be more to it that I think (loss of XP?)

I was actually thinking they need MORE penalty for dying ot make the game more meaningful.

I'm totally for the idea of monsters looting players and the item going into the loot pool.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's the XP loss, of course, and if you don't make it to an ankh then there's also a large stat penalty that lasts for something like 15 minutes. Anyway, the XP loss is quite enough penalty.

uhop and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  16. mass

mass Avatar

The loss of xp (and potentially loss of skill level if your xp pool is too low) is really mild at lower levels but scales as you level to be more impactful when you reach higher levels. It gets high enough that you begin to take risk assessment more seriously.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Barugon like this.
  17. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

The problem is nobody wants to spend 20 hours mining, 3 hours refining, 30 minutes crafting and watching things break with a 95% success rate and finally after spending about 200-300k worth of time farming to goods where they could have just sold the goods, rather craft an item that is useless and sell to an npc for 40 gold coins...woohoo!!!! We'd all be rich... lol

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yeah it was funny to remember what it was like to have to run after a creature like a lizardman who stole your bag of reagents to get them back. ;). I don't know that we can implement this kind of fun here as easily. People are really attached to their stuff. Some cost real life money and some can't be stolen because of it. The complexity of stealing from anyone in this game can be a sore subject, which is a bit sad because it stands in the way of some fun systems that could have happened but due to the funding model and effects of that many can't happen or get a gimped version to not over step the confines of this model.

19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Wrong.
    I would immediately start selling my products to npcs.
    1. How cool would it be if the archer kills you with 'one of my bows'
    2. If the bow drops as loot it's free commercial

mass likes this.
  20. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

So you want to spend 300k buying mats to craft something you don't want or doesn't sell to other players just to sell it to the vendor for 20 gold coins and for someone else to get lucky and find it for nothing?

Enjoy making any money that way lol, not to mention have fun spending 20 hours crafting that worthless gear.

Not to mention people who spend 20 hours gathering mats tend to make more money then taking those mats and crafting the gear for resale because most of the time you end up blowing up about 80% of those mats and not getting anything worth of value. At least by farming the mats you have a guaranteed chance someone is going to buy the raw mats...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.