Monthly RPOTA.COM Writing Contest: $155 in Prizes Every Month!

Discussion in 'Reoccurring & Future Events' started by Elgarion, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Hear ye! Hear ye! Biographers, Historians, Diplomats, Journalists, Story Writers, Quest Designers, Videographers and Musicians! RPOTA is in dire need of your amazing talents! Role-Players of the Avatar is hosting a monthly contest to award those most famous with their quill, camera, piano or lute!

Journey to the RPOTA website, and share in the grand adventure!

[​IMG]

And here are the Featured Writing / RP Themes for this Month!

(Using one of these themes makes your entries eligible for the Grand Prize!!!)
    Featured Short Adventure:
    The Encoded Note
    Auspicious Event Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

You and your party have decided to do a bit of research at a local library of sorts. A friend has offered use of their library for your fact finding mission, which has offered you and your party several days of relaxation mixed with occasional naps as you peruse the dusty tomes. But at last, within a tome which seems related to the topic for which you were searching, a folded parchment falls out and too the floor.

You immediately gather up the oddly placed document and unfold it for viewing. The parchment is aged, but not terribly so and remains well intact as you handle it. Upon it are runes, of a script ancient and uncommon. Could this page hold answers you seek? It was in fact within a tome which held many clues to your educational endeavor, but could the note itself be the elusive key to learning all in regards to this most puzzling of quandaries? Perhaps there is someone you know who might be able to translate this encoded message...

Featured Lengthy Adventure:
    To Bring Law & Order
    Laws of the Land Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

As virtue slowly returns to these forsaken lands, anarchy ebbs towards Order. Each city state adopts differing values and laws, of which offer a wide variety of considerations, both ethical and tyrannical. Oh Avatars, what laws shall ye bring to these disparate peoples? Can ye unite the masses under one rule? Speak now the words of Order. With these edicts and treatises, perhaps thy governing tones shall set the stage for a defining law throughout all of the lands.

Featured Holiday:
    Noroc Day
    Holiday: Month 03 (Marse) Theme by @enderandrew

The sailors that brave the treacherous waves in the Bay of Storms are as salty as the seas and as hard headed as the barnacles below their ships. They believe in little, but what they do believe in, they believe mighty hard. They believe in themselves and their skill. They believe in their ships. They believe in the stars that they sail by and perhaps most of all, they believe in luck.

In the stars, they follow Noroc; the three legged rabbit. Sailing towards any of the three legs is good luck. Sailing in the direction of the missing leg is never done for that would bring about terrible luck.

Upon shore, the sailors set a day aside for Noroc. The day comes in early Marse which marks the five month rainy season which makes the Bay of Storms even worse to travel through. The festivals are found in port villages around the Bay and feature barrel upon barrel of rum. Oddly enough, the sailors also exchange gifts. Symbols of luck are very powerful and one or three should always be on one's person. A horseshoe, an acorn, a bronze coin (minted on only one side), a red feather, a vial of salt and a Cat's Eye stone are popular amongst the sailors. Gifts of a black feather, a fang of a snake or coal are considered "bad luck." People that give gifts like these often find themselves at the bottom of the Bay of Storms.

The holiday is celebrated inland and in other regions of Novia as well, but without the sailing. Sometimes it is merely hunting expeditions or town dances.

A WORD FROM ELGARION:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well my friends, so far, RPOTA has consumed well over 1000 hours of development time. It is a site purely for the community with no hidden fees, ads or tricks to steal your gold. RPOTA serves one purpose and one purpose only, to provide the most thorough and extensive RP database available to the Shroud of the Avatar Community.

Coming soon? A new module called, "My Rumors", which is intended to help people leave the start of a crumb trail at RPOTA.COM for in-game content in Shroud of the Avatar -- a great way to reveal a tid-bit of info without any spoilers!

Join us now and take part in the development of RPOTA. Already much has changed based upon community feedback! The more interest the site garners, efforts to provide great content and contests will multiply! Remember, with each prize awarded, more money is donated to the creation of Shroud of the Avatar!

PREVIOUS CONTESTS:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Februa 2017 Contest...
    February's winners will be announced before the 12th of the month! Thank you all for supporting RPOTA!

Janus 2017 Contest...
    • 1st Place Prize ($50 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Andartianna -- for the storyline "Verat Chaos, Fires From Above: Chapters 1-7!"
      • Alas, good Doctor, yet another fine tale and it would seem there is a hunt for a Clockwork Dragon coming our way in future chapters as well! So sorry I'm late in reviewing your fine submission. I've been distracted as of late, but my lateness does not in any way reflect upon my lack of interest. I'm very happy to say that you you're a 3 time winner sequentially and that MIGHT be a first. When entries wane in number a bit, I worry that I must suspend the awarding of prizes, but even in this waning period, I'm so very glad that the few entries that do come in are VERY deserving of the prizes. I'm proud to say you're the winner of Janus's $50 add-on store credit prize!
    • 2nd Place Prize ($25 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Olthadir for the legal analysis , "Treatise on Truth: Vol 1!"
      • So there is something that intrigues me deeply with your various Treatise on the Virtues of New Britannia. You're sources are the actual books within our world! You're taking these various literary works and utilizing them as proof to your analysis upon the topics at hand. Your analysis of Truth and the books speaking of Truth which are scattered throughout our world adds a level of immersion in your Treatise that I find to be highly rewarding.

And... inspiring! I've noticed something. RPOTA allows players to link content together through relationships. For instance, you could assign related characters or factions to this Journal entry, if you so chose. And I do have database objects containing all the New Britannian Titles to be discovered in our World which is utilized in the Collections module BUT I do not have a way for people to link these New Britannia titles as a relationship in their various Journals or Stories etc. Well... soon there will be! I hope this leads to folks writing about their experiences with these New Britannian books in the game and sharing their opinions of them.

Keep in mind, this does NOT mean I'll be reproducing the content of these books at RPOTA. Titles only... as seen in the Collections Module. BUT, soon as well, when I get around to reading more of them, there'll be single paragraph descriptions of these amazing resources to better encourage our players to find particular books which cover topics they're most interested in!

So friend, once again you dazzle us with your writing skills. You are hereby awarded 2nd Prize in the Janus RPOTA Creation contest garnering a $25 add-on store credit voucher. Please enjoy your reward, and thank you for your work in enhancing the world of New Britannia!
    • 3rd Place Prize ($10 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Cassyr Dubois for his fantastic insight into the mysterious nature of death, "On Civil Wrongs & Remedies, Book 1!"
      • In your work, you wrote, "The principles of law contained in these pages can be used to assist in establishing the basic building blocks of any civilized society." Absolutely! I hope the player towns of New Britannia who are role-play centric take these teachings to heart. I must say, friend Cassyr, that I, Elgarion, shall be utilizing the teachings of Cassyr in Kahli, in hopes to establish order in this land of Chaos. I'll also be referring players to the higher courts of Beran's Reach in hopes they go there to settle their disputes whilst considering these laws as laws of our land. I hope, for smaller disputes, to acquire the practice of traveling magistrates to visit Kahli to assist with settling such disputes as well. What you've created, and what I hope for with your collaboration with the Courthouse of Beran's Reach will bring MUCH hope to our land. The Virtue of Truth has returned to New Britannia. Can this save the peoples of Kahli?

I hereby award this entry as a Third Place Prize ($10 Add-On Store Credit) for the Janus contest! Congratulations -- your efforts in establishing law and order have no equal. Also, for the Marse Contest, I'll be ensuring one of the Themes is a Law & Order RP Theme. Your entries will be shining brightly in March and will be very eligible for the Grand Prize, Indi's Art Commission!
    • Grand Prize (Art Commission from Indi Marin Art, $70 Value) is awarded to @Andartianna -- for the storyline "Verat Chaos, Fires From Above: Chapters 1-7!"
      • For a third time in a row, Dr. Zazeriz writes a story matching one the 3 featured RP themes! Congratulations Andartianna! I'll put you in touch with @Indi2 of Tortoise & Hare Creations immediately! Tortoise & Hare Creations is the creative force behind the Shroud of the Avatar: New Beginnings comic book! And THANK YOU so so much for paying attention to the themes. I cannot tell you how much it means to me that someone is paying attention to one of my favorite module, the Themes Module.

Decembre 2016 Contest...
    • 1st Place Prize ($50 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Andartianna -- for the storyline "The Tourney of the Failed Experiment! - Chapters 1-4!"
      • What a wonderful story - and it matches the theme for RPOTA's monthly contest for Decembre! Paws and his focus potion addiction really made me chuckle. This is two months in a row for Dr. Zazeriz to take first place -- congratulations Dr. Zazeriz! I so do hope there's so much more to come!
    • 2nd Place Prize ($25 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Cassyr Dubois for the legal analysis , "On Mad Justice!"
      • I really enjoyed this work. Very insightful. I wonder if Sir Richard Hare actually didn't die on Earth on 2002 and instead travelled through the Rift to bring his teachings to New Britannia ;) Or perhaps he travelled to New Britannia throughout his life. (Could be a neat Character for someone to play). So, on another note... congrats Cassyr!
    • 3rd Place Prize ($10 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Olthadir for his fantastic insight into the mysterious nature of death, "Musings on Death!"
      • So first off, Olthadir should NOT sell himself short. He replied to me upon notification of his win that he thought it was his weakest published piece thus far, but it definitely intrigued me. Perhaps death intrigues me. Hmmm, perhaps I need to see a shrink. In any case... I had a lot of trouble finding an entry befitting a 3rd place $10 prize entry this month... so much that I've essentially awarded $25 add-on credit for two entries this month! Congrats! The insight and possibilities you've provided us (and definitely me) into the afterlife were very enlightening. Please enjoy the $25 add-on store credit prize!
    • Grand Prize (Art Commission from Indi Marin Art, $70 Value) is awarded to @Andartianna -- for the storyline "The Tourney of the Failed Experiment! - Chapters 1-4!"
      • Again Dr. Zazeriz honors me (and truly motivates me to work on my Themes some more haha) by writing stories matching one the 3 featured RP themes! Congratulations Andartianna! I'll put you in touch with @Indi2 of Tortoise & Hare Creations immediately! Tortoise & Hare Creations is the creative force behind the Shroud of the Avatar: New Beginnings comic book!

Novembre 2016 Contest...

• 1st Place Prize ($50 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Andartianna -- for the storyline "Harvest of the Shattered Moon - Chapters 1-3!"
      • Here are some thoughts I shared with Andartianna (Dr. Zazeriz) upon awarding the prize: "Congrats, Dr! Your work is simply fantastic -- this was a complete journey from beginning to end and woven beautifully into the Harvest Festival RP Theme ( by @enderandrew ). Even though I'm only capturing the first 3 chapters for this contest, so that chapters 4-10 still are eligible for future contests, I did read through the entire story. Chapters 1-3 have garnered the First Place Prize for RPOTA's Novembre Creation Contest, a $50 add-on store credit voucher is coming your way! A grand adventure indeed! Not only did Harvest of the Shattered Moon add wonderfully to the lore of The Tower of the Shuttered Eye, the story featured a wonderful cast; perhaps they are actual guild mates from an actual guild called Organized Chaos? And I must say, using healing potions and Healing Rain to improve the brewing process for beer? Stellar! I must now convince my girl-friend that beer has healing properties!"
    • 2nd Place Prize ($25 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Ulf Berht for the epic storyline , "Virtues' Forge - Chapter 8"
      • Okay. Here it is -- what we've all been waiting for, yet another chapter in the VIrtues' Forge saga, by Ulf Behrt! I actually was remiss to learn I had never even read Chapter 8 yet when processing this month's contest. So excited I was to realize this, I started over from Chapter 1 to ensure my mind had fully remembered the details of the story before progressing. Here's some of the things I had to say to Ulf during my review of his fine work: "Chapter 8 -- so utterly awesome (I actually felt I learned something about the lore of the game... you provide such a great depiction of the Cabalists and the Obsidians this chapter) that it also garners the 2nd Place Prize for Novembre's contest!"
    • 3rd Place Prize ($10 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Cassyr Dubois for his wonderful legal treatise in the Journals Module, "General Ideas on Legal Theory"
      • I had MUCH to say about this work, and PLEASE -- if you haven't considered incorporating the legal thoughts and essays of Cassyr Dubois into your legal role-playing ventures, give them a long gander -- they're simply marvelous: "Cassyr! I'm very happy to notify you that this is the 3rd place winner for the RPOTA creation contest for Novembre! What a fantastic starter document for role-players of New Britannia to read to formulate initial thoughts on the law of the land. Of all your work of the law related documents/journals, this one lays the foundation. (I kinda wish I read this one first lol). Again, Cassyr, I cannot stress how important your work will be to role-players in New Britannia -- each and every journal you've added are likely to eventually garner a prize at RPOTA, and rightfully so!"
    • Grand Prize (Art Commission from Indi Marin Art, $70 Value) is awarded to... @Andartianna for the storyline, "Harvest of the Shattered Moon - Chapters 1-3!" No doubt you might have guessed that this story has also won the Grand Prize for Novembre, since it tied directly into one of the 3 featured RP themes. Congratulations Andartianna! I'll put you in touch with Indi Martin of Tortoise & Hare Creations immediately! Tortoise & Hare Creations is the creative force behind the Shroud of the Avatar: New Beginnings comic book!

Octobre 2016 Contest...
    • 1st Place Prize ($50 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Olthadir -- for this captivating adventure story, "The Darkness in the Forest!"
      • This one was a rare treat for me since it was the first time someone actually wrote an entry specifically for one of the 3 specific RPOTA story/RP themes that I had written (featured last month), "The Artifacts of Avatars" theme. I was so super impressed and excited to see it! In fact, it inspired me so much, I got Olthadir's permission to do a tie-in story one day with Elgarion. A particular concept in Olthadir's work is going to work PERFECTLY for a plot development in Elgarion's storyline, so I can't wait to dive into that ;) Olthadir even featured a cool little tie-in to @Vyrin and @Womby 's bookstore! I was like, "I've been there!" Haha. Olthadir, thank you sire! You bring great credit to our community!
    • 2nd Place Prize ($25 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Kobold Skrek’Kex for the storyline , "The Kobold Skrek'Kex - A Tale of Misadventures"
      • So... you guys simply simply have to read this tale of misadventure. I found myself laughing out loud several times -- the adventures of Skrek'kex are not only charming, but interesting as an insight into the Kobold race. And comon! How can you not want to read a story that features a DEMON TURKEY! Comon! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I -- be sure to congratulate Skrek'Kex on his fantastic work! (And if you meets hims in gamez, Skrek'Kex likes the fishes!)
    • 3rd Place Prize ($10 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Cassyr Dubois for a fantastic Journal Entry titled, "The Noble Duty of Man"
      • Okay -- this is NOT the first time I've extended praise to this wonderful writer (and obvious lover of the law). Any and ALL libraries players keep in the game simply MUST acquire the works of Cassyr Dubois. I feel there are many of us who will utilize these great legal essays and treatises to formulate our legal enterprises in-game, and I'm certainly one of them. Expect many more pieces of his work to top the charts at RPOTA. And I'm not sure if you folks know, but @Astor Cerberus opened a courthouse in Beran's Reach! Be sure to check it out! It is my understanding that legal minded folks such as Cassyr are taking interest in locations such as these, so you might now have a place to resolve any legal disputes troubling your Avatars!
    • Grand Prize (Art Commission from Indi Marin Art, $70 Value) is awarded to... @Olthadir for his storyline, "The Darkness in the Forest!" With the new format for the Grand Prize using 3 specific RPOTA story/RP themes, Othadir took to the task and created a storyline to match one of the themes from Octobre! Olthadir, you are the winner of the art commission from Indi Martin Art, the artist of the Shroud of the Avatar: New Beginnings comic book! So many of her art pieces have been featured at RPOTA.COM since this contest started over a year ago. I'm guessing we're up to about 15-16 pieces of her artwork already! (Do I sense a gallery might be in the works?!?)

Septembre 2016 Contest...
    • 1st Place Prize ($50 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Womby (and @Vyrin ) -- their amusing and whimsical storyline, "The Unreliable Travel Guide, R29 Edition!"
      • If you haven't already checked out their work, please do so. Complete with images to help depict the story, how can you not help yourself to smile upon reading a chapter titled, "The Curious Town of Itchy Bottom"?!
    • 2nd Place Prize ($25 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @enderandrew for the storyline , "The Four Eras!"
      • Ender is one of the favorites at RPOTA and never fails to impress. Thank you EnderAndrew for being such a talented and prolific Shroud writer!
    • 3rd Place Prize ($10 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @royalsexy for a fantastic Journal Entry titled, "The Bravery of Bearbane!"
      • If its action you want? Is it adventure? Then this is the tale for you! This short journal entry is a fantastic example lore any mythos being infused into the game through the community. RP'ing knowledge of the fable of Bearbane could easily take an evening of role-playing while gathered around the hearth.
    • Grand Prize (Art Commission from Tortoise & Hare Creations, $70 Value) is awarded to... me! Hahaha. Alas, with the new format for the Grand Prize using 3 specific RPOTA story/RP themes, there were no entries that matched these specific themes. SO, I'll still be making certain that Indi Martin receives a monthly art commission from RPOTA, but it'll instead be used to enhance the website (perhaps a new logo?) instead of being awarded to a writer. So be sure to keep an eye on what the themes are each month and create something that fits ;)

Augus 2016 Contest...
    • 1st Place Prize ($50 Add-on Credit) is awarded to Erik O'Connor (@enderandrew ) his amazing story, "The Diary of Bob the Wizard!"
      • This most most assuredly fits the theme for Augus of Betrayal of another. The Bob the Wizard betrayed his guest, stealing from him... then again through trickery of an illusion, never intending to make peace or barter, always intending to rid himself of his pursuers! I'm not sure how, but I never read this one! It was a great treat to be surprised by something "new" from Erik O'Connor / EnderAndrew! I hope we get to hear more tales of Bob the Wizard in the future!
    • 2nd Place Prize ($25 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Ulf Berht for the latest chapter of the storyline, "Virtues's Forge!"
      • Though the motives are not yet clear, I think Merlin and Ulf are starting to develop a kinship of sorts -- more might be revealed that proves to me otherwise, but for now -- it most certainly appears this storyline fits one of the Augus' Themes of 'Commitment Towards Another'. I certainly enjoyed the new chapters in the storyline, and I believe this might be the first storyline which has garnered two prizes! I don't even have a mechanic built yet to track such a thing! (I got work to do!) Congrats Ulf! And thank you so much for your continued story sharing!
    • 3rd Place Prize ($10 Add-on Credit) is awarded to @Cianna for the wonderful new chapter to "They Call Her Lady Warrior!"
      • I highly recommend this story; in regards to the banter and companionship between Cianna and Nick, there is an obvious commitment to each other... AND there was a sort of betrayal (though Nick claims it was merely to protect her). Funny how this latest chapter plays into BOTH themes for the Augus Creation contest, 'Commitment Towards or Betrayal of Another...' Just wonderful! This most assuredly matches the monthly theme most closely, therefor wins the Grand Prize for the month! Loving your work - keep it up!
    • Grand Prize (Art Commission from Tortoise & Hare Creations, $70 Value) is awarded to @Cianna for the wonderful new chapter to "They Call Her Lady Warrior!" which fit BOTH monthly creation themes for Augus exceptionally well!

Julius 2016 Contest...
    • 1st Place Prize ($50 Add-on Credit) is awarded to Womby for his amazing story video, "Incident at Skrekk!"
    • 2nd Place Prize ($25 Add-on Credit) is awarded to The High Priestess for the intriguing first chapter of the storyline, "Welcome to the Hanged Man!"
    • 3rd Place Prize ($10 Add-on Credit) is awarded to Erik O'Connor/Ender Andrew for the wonderful 2 chapter tale, "The Mug of Baldrick!"
    • Grand Prize (Art Commission from Tortoise & Hare Creations, $70 Value) is awarded to Erik O'Connor/Ender Andrew! His work, "The Mug of Baldrick" fit the monthly creation theme for Julius very well -- Honoring Benevolent Lords, Deposing of Tyrants!

Juno 2016 Contest...

Maia 2016 Contest...

Apru 2016 Contest...

Marse 2016 Contest...

Februa 2016 Contest...

Janus 2016 Contest...

Decembre 2015 Contest...

Novembre 2015 Contest...

Octobre 2015 Contest...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Womby, Berek, Acred and 5 others like this.
  2. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Hey folks -- I added the contest advertisement for the August (Augus) contest :) I'll be reading up on the submissions in the coming days and will have the Julius winner announcements completed sometime between now and the evening of the 7th of August! Also, for those who've posted content recently to RPOTA, I apologize that I've yet to comment upon your entries. I've been wrapped up with a work trip (lost 2 weekends to driving) and SotAHelp progress. I'll be getting more RPOTA time soon and I very much hope to start writing again!

Thanks guys, and Long Live Shroud of the Avatar!

3. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Congratulations to the Julius Creation Contest Winners! They've been posted in the main thread above. I hope your work comes to inspire others to take up their quill and ink!

Good luck to the contributors for the month of August!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  4. Berek

Berek Senior Community Manager Moderator SOTA Developer

Congrats winners! Love this event, well done to all involved.

Acred, Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  5. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

So! You might notice I'm quite a bit behind on judging the August contest plus posting September's contest ad. I just got back from DragonCon last night so the new info is coming soon! Just give me some time to get settled and back in action. I hope to have the new ad and contest results done by the end of the weekend.

Thanks guys for all your support thus far! :)

6. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Augus Contest... the winners have been posted in the main post above -- congratulations! This was a very special month for me because I got to read a new storyline chapters added to previous winners and an entire 5 chapter storyline that I had somehow missed!

Good luck to the contributors for the month of Septembre! I've posted the new advertisement -- and @Berek , if you're up for some reading, the Augus entries were phenomenal -- check'em out!

Acred, Time Lord and Cianna like this.
  7. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

I'll get the contest processed and new ad posted by the end of Sunday, 9 October! Expect some dark and mysterious Halloween themes coming our way!!! (Of note, if anyone submits some Halloween / Horror Role-Playing Themes, I'll very likely make those the contest themes for October! Great way to stack the contest in your favor by creating the actual bonus credit items! :p

http://www.rpota.com/#role-playingthemes
    http://www.rpota.com/#addedittheme

Time Lord and Cianna like this.
  8. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Another contest month is upon us, comes another RPOTA Creation Contest!
    Head on over to RPOTA.COM to participate!

[​IMG]

Winners from the Septembre Creation Contest will be announced shortly!

(Using these themes garners extra credit for the contest!!!)

The Satyr, to Fray or Not to Fray?
    Obsidian Empire Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli
    The evening in the tavern has grown long and stale. Even the barkeep seems no longer interested in coin, and hopes the festivities will soon come to a close. All seem tired from a night of revelry, and the barmaids work diligently to clean before retiring. Only the most dedicated of rebel rousers remain, but even they slur and stagger in their attempts to rekindle the night's former humor and excitement.

With a deep sigh of annoyance, the barkeep turns his head towards the door whilst drying a somewhat clean mug with a filthy rag. Someone has opened it, allowing a chilled night wind to flutter into the tavern, several candles extinguish, and the fire flickers low. A shadowed figure steps inside, unrecognizable at first which initially prompts the proprietor to extend a formulaic greeting, "Welcome to the Inn of..." but the barkeep quickly chokes on his words as the entity comes into full view.

"I seek lodging." The Satyr bellows in a guttural and deep tenor. "Do you accept my kind here, humans?" The goat man's speech was as surprising as his visage. Educated, eloquent even. Several of the patrons draw their weapons. Another, very drunk and likely not understanding what he sees, begins to laugh hysterically until his companion elbows him in the kidney, stirring him to awkward action as well. The innkeeper simply stares, mouth agape, mug in mid clean and slightly shaking with unsure hands. The Satyr speaks with chilling enunciations, "Ahhh. I see that is not the case. I shall depart then. Please forgive me for the disturbance."

Your party is not unlike any other in the tavern. Tired from a night of celebration, some of you already feel the ebbing pain and regret which will be tenfold in the morn. With blurred vision, slow minds and unsure bellies, you all deeply ponder the possibilities. Do you try to stop the Satyr from departing, offer apologies on behalf of the other patrons, and provide him your room for the evening? Do you invite him to drink and recant stories of old? Or do you also grab your weapons in hopes to rid this world of yet another abomination from the Obsidian Era? So many choices flitter through your drunken mind, oh wobbly one -- what choice will you make? Will the Oracle be pleased? For surely, her Watchers are watching!

The Artifacts of Avatars
    Avatar Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli
    So many years have come and gone since the great Fall which wiped away thousands of years of history from New Britannia. Remnants remain. Ruins. Within those ruins, even to this day, those most industrious have engaged in painstaking excavations of the once great temples, castles, and cities of yesteryear. And sometimes, one such excavation reaps something wondrous--an artifact of power, once belonging to an Avatar of old.

During your recent travels, and in the light of the moon, you and your party have stumbled across such a work site. Deep within the woods, the clamor of hammer upon chisel pinches your ears, nearly causing you to wince with each strike as you grow nearer. Upon the clearing of the woods, a somewhat meager looking band of kobolds work diligently at a dig site, barely paying you any mind as you peer towards them. One, bearing spectacles upon the bridge of his rather short, draconic snout, holds plans in his hands, repeatedly studies them, then barks orders to his laboring minions, "Deeg fasterz! The alignment nearz! Hurriez!"

What do you do, oh brave one? Do you dare approach and question their progress on the dig? Certainly they've found something by now for they work so fervently in a state of excitement. Do you offer your aid? Or perhaps you wish to steal from these hard working souls. But whatever you decide, my friend. Let this be known. Something is there. You are not sure how. You are not sure why, but you can sense it! And the sensation grows as the stars drift into new patterns above you.

Featured Holiday:

The Spirit Festival
    Holiday: Month 10 (Octobre) Theme by @Bowen Bloodgood
    The Spirit Festival varies from province to province. Citizens living near rivers commonly set floating lanterns adrift in the river to guide spirits to the ‘next life’. A variation of this practice occurs in windy towns by using paper balloon type lanterns that float into the sky. Sometimes, the lanterns might be aided in their flight by an air mage's spell.

The spirit festival honors those who have past on. Particular reverence is given to one’s ancestors. Every region has their own traditions but often families will come together to remember the recently deceased with stories and merriment. Families often erect shrines to their ancestors or visit their graves to leave offerings of food and flowers.

Other aspects of the Spirit Festival includes following a general ‘spirit’ theme but otherwise engaging light hearted fun. Magic shows, cotton candy--you name it, all with a theme of ghosts, specters, spirits and phantasms...

Amongst the more devout of citizens, common practices include attention to self-improvement and meditation. Traditional foods for this festivity have only become common in recent years, such as indulging in sweet foods like candied apples and confections which have become common at food stands during the festival.

Acred and Time Lord like this.
  9. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Septembre Contest... congratulations! The winners have been postedin the main posting at the top of this thread. For Septembre, new additions were a little slow, but no worries, I easily found wonderful works of art from previous monthly submissions -- remember, ALL content is eligible at RPOTA.COM that was posted in time for the contest!

Thanks so much for all the interest in RPOTA folks! Be sure to check it out -- once Octobre hit, tons of new entries have rolled in from talented writers such as @Olthadir , @Cassyr Dubois and Lilian Federkiel! Their entries will be hot during Octobre's contest :)

Time Lord, Olthadir and x_Selene_x like this.
  10. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Be sure to get those submissions in ;), the Octobre contest ends end of day on the 31st! Remember, to be eligible for the Grand Prize, I'll be looking for entries matching at least one of the three monthly role-playing / writing themes ;)

http://www.rpota.com/#role-playingthemes

11. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[​IMG]

Winners from the Octobre Creation Contest will be announced shortly!

(Using these themes makes your entries eligible for the Grand Prize!!!)

The Wondrous Sightings of Lord British
    Character: Portalarium Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli
    Heralding a new dawn upon New Britannia, the virtuous Lord British has stepped through the Rift once again and become known to the world. Countless Avatars have encountered our lord and benefactor, yet so few have accounted for these meetings in story, song or play. Take to quill and ink, my friends, and share with all your wondrous (or perhaps fearful) experiences within the presence of his greatness. Surely there be tales to tell of epic proportion, or perhaps they just be tall tales, rumor or speculation? Even a jester's comical recollections or a playwright's manuscript would be suitable to our audience's ears. Or by chance there is a song in your heart which could best display your affections for this memory?

The Path of the Alchemist
    Crafting: Alchemy Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli
    An alchemist's life is one of intense study, relentless material acquisition and endless experimentation. Deep within caverns, castles, basements or catacombs, usually hidden well from view oft for the safety of others should various mixings go awry, laboratories oftentimes go unnoticed by the passerby. The trade of the apothecary is not glamorous. There is no fame to be had except for those most flamboyant in their practice. There is no fortune to be had but for a very select few--those most talented in their craft. But what should one do to succeed? So many claim to know the ways of chemicals and minerals. Surely there is a way one could set themselves apart from the flock.

Could advertising be required to ensure your mixes go more noticed than those of your peers? Perhaps sabotaging the work of another could elevate your status within this competitive field? Or does your product speak for itself and need merely a single beneficiary, for surely word would then spread of their miraculous recovery? Maybe the sale of your wares is of little concern, and you merely cherish the discovery of a new formula? And surely there are those with discoveries to steal, if ye be so bold and lacking of virtue. What path shall you choose, oh clever concoctor of concoctions? Do you choose truth or deceit? Courage or Cowardice? Sacrifice or Shame? The Watchers are watching.

Featured Holiday:

Harvest Festival
    Holiday: Month 11 (Novembre) Theme by Erik O'Connor ( @enderandrew )
    The long work of Octobre's harvest behind them, Novembre is spent milling flour, fermenting wine, brewing beer and preparing for a great feast in Novembre. You'll find cornucopias on display to show off the harvest. Families gather for a traditional turkey dinner. If turkey is not available then duck, chicken or roast pork may be substituted. But the feast always features a variety of hearty dishes and fresh autumn vegetables.

It is said that everyone chips in and works extra hard during the harvest. These large meals shared with family and friends carry on the community focus that made the harvest possible. In some circles it is customary to express gratitude for the contributions made by your fellow community members you are sharing a meal with.

But for many the true highlight of the Harvest Festival is a brewing competition where the year's best beer is selected (both locally and across all of Novia). The winner takes home a golden stein trophy, which is passed onto the new winner each year. The stein is said to bring good luck (and bragging rights) and thirsty citizens have been known to travel to visit whatever tavern serves the award winning beer that year (as if they needed an excuse). Some say this tradition started with the fabled Mug of Balldrick in ages past, but who knows for sure?

12. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Octobre Contest... congratulations to the winners! The winners are displayed in the main post at the top of this thread. So the month of Octobre brought a nice batch of new entries from new members to the site, and their work was so wonderful, all 3 winners for Octobre are first-time winners! I graded the entries and awarded the prizes a week ago, and I'm very very late in making the announcement. But here it is! Please take the time to congratulate our winners -- they did a wonderful job and their talent is worthy of MUCH praise! And if you didn't win the Octobre contest, no worries -- all content at RPOTA which has not won yet is eligible to win, so keep those entries edited, refined, reworked and perfected so each month their chances to compete increased against the ever increasing array of talented creators!

Thanks so much for all the interest in RPOTA folks! And coming up next month? So many other new entries to consider -- look at the RPOTA.COM Activity Feed to see that there are SO many other works yet to be praised for their hard work and talent :)

( @Berek )

13. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[​IMG]

Winners from the Novembre Creation Contest will be announced shortly!

An Audience With The Oracle
    Oracle Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Ever since the dawn of the Age of the Oracular Enlightenment, New Britannians and Avatars alike have flocked to The Oracle's presence, in hopes of a deeper insight into their lives or the unpredictable world about them. Far into your psyche The Oracle reaches and her knowledge is vast, for her Watchers are everywhere, scanning unsuspecting passerby's during their daily activities. Some show signs of the returning Virtues; others yet cling to humanity's darker tendencies. Tell your tale, oh Avatar! Speak to us of your last encounter with The Oracle and let it be known to the world how she has helped or hindered your journies. Does she bring you revelations of Virtuous deeds or does she scorn you for your shortcomings. Or perhaps... there are other thoughts or reasons your visits to The Oracle bring entirely different outcomes? Stoke the fire, order the ale, and let your tales take us through this chilled and gloomy night.

The Grand Tourney
    Competition Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

'Here ye! Here ye! Your lord and benefactor has an announcement to the peoples of New Britannia! A Grand Tourney is scheduled to take place in this region's capital city! Bring your best and test your skills versus other combatants for surely you desire the prize, fame and fortune that will come to the victors!' the town crier barks proudly. 'And for the onlookers, much food, ale and revelry will liven the evening -- come one, come all, for this is the event of the century!"The eloquent advertisement rings softly in your ears like a distant echo even minutes after the town crier's departure. Your mind is tickled at the possibilities abounding. Could you compete in such a tourney? Surely as an Avatar, there are abilities you posses which could sway the outcome of the event. Or perhaps you merely look forward to the festivities and desire the ale and the candied apples and the roast mutton and leg of turkey. The ladies and gentlemen, all dressed pridefully in regal gowns of all color and cloth shall be in attendance, and you could rub elbows with such royalty if you so desire. Or dare I suggest there be pockets to pick? Could there be opportunity here, oh Avatar? Something beyond what one would expect? For surely, in a crowd of this size, there are countless outcomes which could unfold before the eyes of The Watchers.

Featured Holiday:

Day of Compassion
    Holiday: Month 12 (Decembre) Theme by @Bowen Bloodgood

The Festival of Compassion is just as its name implies, a month long celebration of compassion and neighborly love. Fund raisers for charities are very common during this holiday, especially for the poor and sick. One might see charity collectors, dressed up in finery, upon many street corners, collecting coins for the poor.Also, certain merchants may have a sales on basic goods, such as food and cloths. A great time to purchase such items as gifts for the poor. It is also a wonderful time to host dinners for the poor or bring food and medicine to the sick if they cannot attend the feasts.There are also some cultures who take this time at years end, this time of compassion, to forgive offenses or even debts.

14. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Novembre Contest... Congratulations to the Novembre Contest Winners! The main post at the top of this thread features all the details about the winners of Novembre's contest. Novembre was an exciting month for me. Not only was I awarded an ONBE which I shall truly treasure for many years to come and most certainly could not have earned it without the community's continued support during the past 2 years, but I completely fell in love with new content at RPOTA.COM. I hope each of you takes the time to peruse the site to see what's new. You might notice as you click between pages, that items load much faster. There are 3, maybe 4 pages out of the many that still haven't been integrated into this site map, but soon! And don't forget, the new Rumors Module will be coming to an RPOTA near you!

Thanks so much for all the interest in RPOTA folks! And coming up next month? So many other new entries to consider -- look at the RPOTA.COM Activity Feed to see that there are SO many other works yet to be praised for their hard work and talent :)

15. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

With another contest month is upon us, comes another RPOTA Creation Contest!

[​IMG]

Winners from the Decembre Creation Contest will be announced shortly!

You've Been Ambushed!
    Ambush Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Whilst traveling abroad, your party has been ambushed! Roll for initiative, my friends! Wait, might there be a chance for parlay? To run? A bribe perhaps? Is fighting your only option? Perhaps these ambushers were driven to desperate measures, or perhaps they are as foul as they seem... If this is to persist over a long duration, then treat it as if there has been an increase of roadside robberies of late. Seek out these ambushers, to learn more of what they do and why! Do you stop them? Or perhaps you might profit from their ventures in some way?

The Surprise Birthday Party
    Anniversary Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Whether it be short notice or a prolonged planning event, plan and hold of a fully immersive birthday party where all invited members portray their well-wishes to the birthday boy or girl. Of course, a birthday party isn't complete without some sort of adventurous fun for the guests! Perhaps a play is in order? Or a treasure or scavenger hunt? Games or challenges? Remember, a party is the perfect time to spin some tales or delve deep into the lore of New Britannia!

Featured Holiday:
    Daedalus Day
    Holiday: Month 01 (Janus) Theme by @enderandrew

The second day celebrates resilience and new beginnings. Having survived The Fall, citizens of New Britannia start this new day with a huge breakfast to celebrate the new world. Daedalus-shaped pancakes and pastries are a common dish. Together they hike back to their villages and towns with a new appreciation for what they have post-cataclysm. Then they throw a big feast at night in thanks and celebration. Everyone toasts to the youngest of the group as they look to the future.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Berek likes this.
  16. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Decembre Contest... I just posted the Decembre winners above in the first posting to this thread (a little late, so so sorry, BUT they were awarded their prizes on time, thankfully ;) ), and Man oh man, what a fantastic month of reading I had! I really hope you folks are enjoying the creativity of this community as much as I am. Shroud of the Avatar is home to the best gaming community I've ever experienced, and I'm utterly proud to be a part of it. Please take the time to read the fine work of our winners this month, they truly truly deserve a huge pat on the back for their accomplishments and talent! And don't forget, the new Rumors Module will be coming to an RPOTA near you! I put this new module a bit on hold to give the Locations Module some MAJOR love. Last weekend, I added 31 locations (with MANY more to come) and I'm slowly integrating in the skull ratings for adventure scenes as well.

Thanks so much for all the interest in RPOTA folks! Be sure to keep the RPOTA.COM Activity Feed bookmarked to keep abreast of all the new content filtering in through the Rift -- there are SO many other works yet to be praised for their hard work and talent :)

Berek likes this.
  17. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Hear ye! Hear ye! Biographers, Historians, Diplomats, Journalists, Story Writers, Quest Designers, Videographers and Musicians! RPOTA is in dire need of your amazing talents! Role-Players of the Avatar is hosting a monthly contest to award those most famous with their quill, camera, piano or lute!

[​IMG]

True Love, True Hatred
    Wedding Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

Bells ring loudly! Friends and family cheer, overjoyed from the spectacle. A union between two so deeply in love that they're blind to all else upon their wedding day. All they see are each other's eyes. Each other's smiles. Their laughs. Each is captivated by every nuance, every idiosyncrasy of the other. They are the epitome of love. Sequanna looks upon them both and smiles. Content that Virtue has returned to New Britannia. But things were not always as such. What adventures led up to this very moment which brought these two soulmates together? Surely they have a story to tell? Or perhaps there is another, distraught by hatred or betrayal, who looks upon these proceedings with venom in their eyes. Surely there be a tale there as well...

The Shard Falls of Novia
    Shard Fall Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

When the two moons collided, the rage of the gods above exploded in fury. To those of no faith, there were others surely blamed. The Avatars. The Titans. Meddling wizards. But regardless of what hand sculpted the apocalypse, enormous fragments plummeted unforgiving, destroying all, tearing the land asunder and rendering extinct entire civilizations without prejudice.A testament to the horrors of The Fall still remain to this day. The Shard Falls. Clusters of massive obsidian stones, imbued with forgotten magics of the old world. The dark stones hover stoic, monuments to an ancient past, refusing to touch the scarred earth beneath a chiseled crystalline base. Each vibrates, emitting a maddening near imperceptible hum, invading the ears of those nearby. Twisted reflections cast back onto the beholder, suggestive, teasing, mocking, enraging. Dare ye venture forth into a Shard Fall, oh Avatar? Share tragic tales of the your madness which ensued within. The confusion... the mesmerization... the delicious desire to destroy. How did ye resist the enraging enchantments of the Shards? Or did ye give in to temptation and ravage all before you?

Featured Holiday:
    Confession Day
    Holiday: Month 02 (Februa) Theme by @Bowen Bloodgood

A common tradition of love throughout many lands in New Britannia is Confession Day. It is the first of a two day holiday, the second being Response Day, in which unmarried women give a gift to the men they admire and love in their townships, in hopes to inspire a response from the man during the next day. It is also common for weddings to occur on this day, especially for those who mutually gave and received their romantic interests.

18. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Janus Contest... I just posted the Janus winners above in the first posting to this thread -- January was a fantastic month folks, keep up the great work, the creativity and passion for Shroud of the Avatar!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  19. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[​IMG]

The Encoded Note
    Auspicious Event Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

You and your party have decided to do a bit of research at a local library of sorts. A friend has offered use of their library for your fact finding mission, which has offered you and your party several days of relaxation mixed with occasional naps as you peruse the dusty tomes. But at last, within a tome which seems related to the topic for which you were searching, a folded parchment falls out and too the floor.

You immediately gather up the oddly placed document and unfold it for viewing. The parchment is aged, but not terribly so and remains well intact as you handle it. Upon it are runes, of a script ancient and uncommon. Could this page hold answers you seek? It was in fact within a tome which held many clues to your educational endeavor, but could the note itself be the elusive key to learning all in regards to this most puzzling of quandaries? Perhaps there is someone you know who might be able to translate this encoded message...

To Bring Law & Order
    Laws of the Land Theme by Elgarion De'Kahli

As virtue slowly returns to these forsaken lands, anarchy ebbs towards Order. Each city state adopts differing values and laws, of which offer a wide variety of considerations, both ethical and tyrannical. Oh Avatars, what laws shall ye bring to these disparate peoples? Can ye unite the masses under one rule? Speak now the words of Order. With these edicts and treatises, perhaps thy governing tones shall set the stage for a defining law throughout all of the lands.

Featured Holiday:
    Noroc Day
    Holiday: Month 03 (Marse) Theme by @enderandrew

The sailors that brave the treacherous waves in the Bay of Storms are as salty as the seas and as hard headed as the barnacles below their ships. They believe in little, but what they do believe in, they believe mighty hard. They believe in themselves and their skill. They believe in their ships. They believe in the stars that they sail by and perhaps most of all, they believe in luck.

In the stars, they follow Noroc; the three legged rabbit. Sailing towards any of the three legs is good luck. Sailing in the direction of the missing leg is never done for that would bring about terrible luck.

Upon shore, the sailors set a day aside for Noroc. The day comes in early Marse which marks the five month rainy season which makes the Bay of Storms even worse to travel through. The festivals are found in port villages around the Bay and feature barrel upon barrel of rum. Oddly enough, the sailors also exchange gifts. Symbols of luck are very powerful and one or three should always be on one's person. A horseshoe, an acorn, a bronze coin (minted on only one side), a red feather, a vial of salt and a Cat's Eye stone are popular amongst the sailors. Gifts of a black feather, a fang of a snake or coal are considered "bad luck." People that give gifts like these often find themselves at the bottom of the Bay of Storms.

The holiday is celebrated inland and in other regions of Novia as well, but without the sailing. Sometimes it is merely hunting expeditions or town dances.