More balanced drop on monster

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Headquake, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

I understand that the goal is not to have too much loot on monster. But still would be great if loot were more related to the monster difficulty. For some monster like Wolf or bear it seem to scale wich is good . But its kinda boring that killing the undweller troll in the epitaph give you less money ( try it two time got like 14g-15g) ( casting 1 spell cost more money than that ) than killing à random zombie/squeletton in the starting scene.

Its just make it less fun to explore and try new challenge when you realise that killing the most easy créature in this game seem to rewards as much and sometime more than killing the hardest one.

Of course im not speaking about the dragon wich is to hard for me. So i have no clue what he drop. (Im expecting 20 g , 2 obsidian chip and 7 sulfur :p)

And more frustration is when you realise that increasing in skill lvl make your spell better but that come with higher focus cost. First i was like fine im gonna craft some focus potion. But then you realize that it cost too much cause the monster drop are so low you don't even get enough gold to buy the material for crafting it.

Lets take the troll as sample : killing it bring 14 g , using 1 focus potion cost you ( 100-150g) and add the arrow or reagents cost to that. You realise that yeah its fun to kill it one time for the challenge but after that you have no reason to keep fighting it cause it make you lose money ( even if you don't use potion and have only 5 % chance of using reagents when you cast à spell) .An d he don't really give that much xp too.So for xp its just more time efficient to kill something else.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

In R31 the dragon, when skinned, gave serpent scales and obsidian chips. 30ish of each if I recall, may have been a bit more.
    I find it frustrating that a skeleton/humanoid with 100 hp drops the same rusty sword as a skeleton/humanoid with 600hp, and the same amount of gold.
    This makes it more efficient to farm trivial mobs in mass than to actually fight something your level, and should be addressed.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

They have nerfed some low level mobs dropping high value loots in this release. So perhaps, we can expect to see high level mobs drop worthwhile loot soon?

4. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Some do, for instance Lich archers still drop the more valuable Longbow, unfortunately there isn't a place where you can kill 1k Lich archers per hour.

However, the loot reward for all mobs is drastically low for the risk, and has only gone down down down.

We used to kill undead for the corpse wax, they got nerfed.
    We used to kill archers for the bows, that got nerfed.
    We used to kill elves for the weapons, that got nerfed.

I can only imagine that the only way they want for us to viably make money is to sell to other players.
    My biggest concern is where is the original gold piece going to come from now, If the mobs are all nerfed to the point where they aren't worth looting anymore, who is going to provide the actual gold in the player economy.

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

There are still control points where people can make mad cash from the drop chests between certain waves (unless they nerf that too).

6. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Maybe but the spawn time between waves so slow. and I can only handle the first 3 waves (two chests sometimes 3, depending on archer density)
    And the chest rewards for those waves sucks for the time spent and danger faced.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

I guess they nerfed that too.. Oh well... back to Greymark forest (unless they nerfed that one as well).

8. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

I totally agree with you.
    There's is no way a viable econnomy will work by only selling craft to other players. :

1. Why would i want to buy from anyone else in this game if like right now there is no skill cap. I can just harvest my own wood , mine my own metal , etc... and i can just raise all crafting skill if i want. Even for people like me to lazy to do that ( i have decided to only raised alchemy and tailor , skinning , harvesting , textile , tanning. All you need to do is be part of a guild of 2-3 guy wich are just doing different craft and give them free stuff in exchange of free stuff from them. Instead they add some skill cap or limit you to ''mastering'' lets say 3 skill . There is no way crafting gonna be a major econnomy driver in this game.Since there is no pvp or no reason to do pvp right now. I think people will juste raise by themself their crafting skill , craft their own stuff and keep repairing it forever.Right now i feel like 60 % of the econnomy is not craft its just people selling pledge stuff to other people.

2.As you say , where the initial money will come from if monster drop nothing ? Cash shop ? i strongly hope its not gonna be that since the game ain't free to play. Of course they can do like wurmz online were people buy gold from à cash shop and buy stuff from other players with that .But i don't think it work Well since wurmz have really à hard time getting new players and keeping their player cause this kind of system is really frustrating for those who just wanna to pay a game and enjoy it without putting half their payroll in it.

3. Even for someone that don't want to craft anything . What will be the reason , someone want to get better armor , gears , weapon ( from crafters) if anyway the pve is not rewarding ? And there is no pvp (or real reason to do it ) to make people lost their gears and buy new one .Its not like you gonna say : Hey lets gets this high crafting tier armor , witch enchant and masterwork so i can kill more difficult monster who drop nothing.

All of the looting table is really easy to fix. Since its a player craft base econnomy. Add some stuff for crafting that you could only get on some monster. Like satyr axe could be salvage to get some material ( other than metal scrap) use for crafting a satyr axe wich would have better stats than a normal craft axe. Big monster like Troll , Dragon , Lich , Pheonix etc... could carry some rare matérial use to make the best gears in the game ( troll hide , dragon scale , etc... ) Each elemental kind could carry a essence need to add enchant related to them on weapon.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  9. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Mastercrafting should use drops from bigger mobs instead of Silver

uziraff and Birne Gilmore like this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I got a Gold crown of the obsidian while skinning a large grey wolf today. Not complaining ;)

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Damn, @Headquake you're on a roll ;)... Keep it up.

12. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I think magical items should be added to game. I mean crafting is pretty pointless anyway just about anyone can do it if they take the time and look up the recipe, theres really nothing differentiating the crafters other then at the beginning on whom can afford what recipes. I mean once weve been post final wipe a bit what will be the point of crafting? What will make XX bow maker better than X bow maker? Resources are bountiful if you take the time to farm them, oh and who needs repairs just buy the COTOS by the dozens.

Spinok likes this.
  13. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Balancing out looting tables cannot be done in just one pass and running multiple cycles will take time. So yeah, looting is quite crappy right now. And it's valid to post about that so the devs know what we think about it. But still we need to show some patience here, too. There will be more items coming, more to loot, more to craft, more to buy.

Xiren likes this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

There are only two sources of currency in the game at present. Loot and COTO. It makes sense that if you restrict loot to the point it is too heavy or too low in salvage worth that everyone will be forced to buy COTO to fund their everyday costs. I cringe at the thought that the plan is to force that purchase. We are playing with fire here IMO. The flow of gold into the game outside of COTO purchase needs to be drastically increased pretty soon or we are going to go down in flames.

15. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

It's possible to make good gold if you are highish level and willing to grind for it.

I have 75k right now and that's up nearly 25k without having to grind for it or make vendor sales. It just took 3 days to get it instead of a few hours of grinding.

As for crafting. I would rather never craft. And I suspect many people are overlooking how long it takes to make really good gear.

My current sword is a +12 that Sara Dreygon made. I doubt that was the product of only a few hours of leveling and collecting.

It's only been in the last 3 days that I've been able to find +3 chain armor for sale.

High level mobs need much better reward. There is no denying that but continuing to say that you can't make gold or sell me products isn't true. I've gladly handed over 500k gold to player vendors and not 1g of that came from Coto.

16. Extrems

Extrems Avatar

I think actually we can make some money without problems. Just for buy some armor, reagents. weapons. But is true we need better drop from high levels mobs. At least more golds, I undersdtand we need to make the crafters the main way for make the better armor/weapon in the world and if we can take that armor from the mobs will be their broke.

Acred likes this.
  17. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Right now, some higher level mobs drop better loot than some lower level mobs. Certain mobs will drop higher quality weapons, which can be sold for a higher price. That extra gold attained from the selling of higher quality weapons is substantial enough to justify killing higher level mobs when farming for gold, specifically.

Personally I like this system. The way things are now, there is no real need to break certain rules, ie. using 3rd party programs to macro skills, and no real need to powerlevel. Another positive outcome related to this is that newer players are able to compete with veteran players for items from player vendors. Taking into consideration that 90% of the playerbase only has an amount of gold that a new player can make with a lower level character in a reasonable amount of time, I think the current drop rates for low level mobs versus higher level mobs is fitting for the encouraged and intended atmosphere of the game.

There are a ton of posts regarding drop rates, gold availability, tax rates and the overall economic structure of persistence, and my personal opinion is that any comment on any of these subjects is premature at this point in the lifespan of the game. Taking into account that the player marketplace allows trading gold, I submit that there is no reason for any player to complain about gold availability, and I would prefer to see a limit on COTO sales per account from the add-on store before seeing any changes to mob drops, but not any time soon, as I think not limiting the almighty COTO at this point is preferable to everyone, and in all of our best interests, considering the game is still in alpha, and those funding amounts are truly important to making this game a better quality product before launch, and even beyond.

Acred and The Hendoman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.