More meaningful food

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It'll depend on how much better they are, I think. And, I suppose, how much harder all the new and upcoming content will be. Wyvern chops are the best for my build, but such a pain to get, I only use them on "special" occasions, and usually just use easier-to-get "good enough" foods for most things.

Net, FrostII and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  2. City Slicker

City Slicker Avatar

as long as they add more steak and not bacon im good

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem with saving consumables for "special" occasions is that I end up never using them.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I suppose. I guess it depends on how you define special. I mostly use them in Tartarus, where I can't kill those 4k-6k mobs very fast. Or, if I decide to try and kill a clockwork dragon, or one of the seasonal bosses. Recently, I finally went and finished the Ravenswood Ruins lich quest. Wyvern chops came in handy for that fight. But if I go to the Rise or Ruined Keep, the two wolf foods are good enough. And for lower areas, I usually don't even bother with foods.

5. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

PVP food and PVE food essentially.

Maybe use the PVP food for slaying a boss with a party.

This has always been my thinking.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

We have seen this over and over and over. It needs to stop.

If they add that exceptional property, the entire new food system will be pointless.

Get ALL of the food useful. THEN figure something else to add.

Barugon likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think the food point system is a good idea but adding bonuses for exceptional is not.

Anpu likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes. The food point idea is actually good. All the food will actually be useful.

But do not completely nullify the entire system by adding that exceptional. The team will need to first observe how the food points are working, THEN come up with other ideas that expand on this.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Will it, though? Or will it just change which foods are useful to a different small subset?

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That we will soon find out.

Barugon likes this.
  11. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I just don't understand why people here, who theoretically want an expanded food system, are instantly hostile to the devs giving players more options, diversity, and depth in the cooking game play mechanics.

Maybe let's test the system out first before instantly hating on it and declaring it a failure?
    • Maybe people who actually explore the cooking game-play in its current state, look at the recipes, cook a variety of foods and sell to a wide array of players will enjoy being able to offer special rare foods to their favorite customers?
    • Maybe foods that get an exceptional enhancement should get a half a point or full point upgrade cost to balance it out if the food is too exceptional?

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Shroud has a long history of "fixes" that don't really fix anything, but allow the devs to feel like they're doing something. I agree with others that exceptional foods fall into that category. At least, under the system we have. Adding exceptionals either make a new best-in-slot food, or make a weak food a little stronger, but not better than the foods people already use. On paper, it sounds like a good idea. "Hey, once in a while, you'll get a better food." But from a game mechanic perspective, "mostly good and once in a while great" is really "mostly garbage and once in a while good."

[​IMG]

Anpu likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The only benefit that I can think of that exceptional should give is increased duration. That way, the normal food still has value.

Anpu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.