More Realistic Cloaks

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Razimus, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I know this has been said, but I couldn't find a thread. I came across this video and thought it was fitting. It's literally the most polite video I've ever seen on the subject, the guy in no way shape or form bashes the game, he is clearly a polite fan simply pointing something out.

I really hope cloaks get an overhaul in the future. Here's the polite video not made by myself.

2. Selene

Selene Avatar

Someone just needs to send a memo to the Drycleaners of the Avatar to stop their senseless over-starching.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree great comments. I do like the movement much better and the material look is getting better and better. The cloak does bunch up a bit and it is interesting because it's almost like when our character walks the wrinkles in the bunched up part gets shaken out. Also the design is always the same formats. So there is a base color of the cloak then a border in some color and then the design in the same place. So it's like a carbon copy just colored in and new design added. Easy peasy for now. Hopefully as with all wearables as we go along we'll see cloaks get attention also. And a push for kilts and wizard/mage robes to come in game also. ;) Oh yeah and hat quest idea is a very cool wizards hat on one of the releases.:)

Lord Baldrith, Epona and Razimus like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I actually am liking the look of the material in our cloaks and as mentioned above movement is improving. The big picture above looks like perhaps the cloak is longer and draped accross the avatars arm.
    Posted before on another thread a while back, but here is a replay of some cloak examples :)

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ah well we need real cloaks, not just capes that are called "cloaks". And they should rename the cloaks "capes". =D

smack, Heradite, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I won't wear the current cloaks, as I don't find them at all attractive.

Dewderonomy and Epona like this.
  7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i only wear my cloak because it is a light source.

i support the idea for making at least one more pass at the cloaks..hopefully even making (some of) them craftable by a high level tailor.

8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I wear my cloaks as a cloaking device. But I'm Klingon so what else would you expect.

Actually, half Klingon, half elf. Kwelfon.

9. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Isn't Kwelfon planned as a playable race for Episode 4? :)

But in all seriousness, I would like to second the request for craftable cloaks, and ask to have the hood attached as well, rather than have to find/ match two separate items! Easier to dye and match, easier to look cool!

10. SinDee

SinDee Avatar

I hope down the road we can have cloaks with are guilds CoA on them kind of how WoW has the tabards

11. Wylfing

Wylfing Avatar

SotA cloaks' fabric moves and folds nicely, but the problem is the shape of the cloak. It's just a piece of cloth cut like a window's curtain, and it looks like having a window's curtain flapping from your shoulders when you move around. It wold be nice if the cloak looked more like a whole cloak with the fabric pushed back over ones shoulders to free the arms. (Not sure if I'm making sense here)

Duchess Wyldemane and Epona like this.
  12. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

This is simply amazing.

Budner likes this.
  13. Epona

Epona Avatar

Razimus, thanks for sharing that video. I agreed with the author. I do hope that as we go along SotA doesn't lag behind any game as far as art goes.

Agree with you, too, Majoria. Great pictures!

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ah Cloak of Invisibility.

I use my cloak for fencing duels.

[​IMG]

That's me, to the right.

Tantalus Consortium, Budner and Epona like this.
  15. Epona

Epona Avatar

Touché, Redfish. :)

16. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

Personally, I like the starched look. So crisp, clean and sharp!

And in emergencies you can use it to slice through the body of your foe.

[​IMG]

Tantalus Consortium and Razimus like this.
  17. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I like the current capes but more variations are always welcome :) they may be a tad too bright though...some dirt spots on the bottom would probably help too. The only thing that makes my inner OCD guy rage is how the cape intersects with the avatar mesh making some of the armor poke through (especially near the shoulder area)

Ravenclaw [BEAR] likes this.
  18. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Having cloaks/capes work something along these lines would be awesome,

but I noticed a lot of people posting in Unity forums about having issues with cloth still, though it is supposed to be better now in version 5. Still I wonder if this is something that can be completely fixed in Unity? Time will tell.

19. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I think the video shows nicely how interactive cloth can exist in unity 5. These aren't cloaks or capes but cloth is cloth and someone will upload a good cloak example eventually but use your imagination, I think cloaks can be beautifully done, too bad I have no interest in learning how to create this stuff, but for those that are familiar with unity, I'd give it a shot, see what you can do cloak-wise. It looks like anything is possible.

Well I know this is Blender but, my limited knowledge on the subject, Blender can be imported into Unity. This cloak thingy looks awesome.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Daevin Aruth and Epona like this.
  20. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I completely agree with this unfortunately and am going to go ahead and elaborate on what the OVP said. I keep hoping each release the capes will change, but they don't. Seems the devs just keep trying to fix the glitches in the current style. I think capes/cloaks need to be scratched and revamped completely because while the movement is getting better it doesn't really matter when they look like someone cut out triangles from a tarp. (Sorry >.<) Compared to the other elaborate and beautiful armour that is being introduced, they look awkward and out of place now. And unless you keep your view in 1st person or don't wear a cape, you have to look at them all the time. It is the shape that is the main issue. Change the shape. Make them actually have folding and draping effects and give them more weight at the bottom. Below are some visuals I've put together using Skyrim cloaks as an example.

[​IMG]
    Skyrim cloak with key shape, hem line and drapes outlined. Notice the cloak drapes widely over the shoulders making it broader at the top.

[​IMG]
    SoTa cape with key shape outlined. It connects too narrowly at the top, draping at the neck instead of the shoulders giving it a triangle shape. Lack of draping or folding prevents it from appearing to have any weight and causing a flat, starch-like appearance, especially at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    Skyrim cloak again with the general shape outlined for comparison.

I really, really love and support this game. But I feel strongly about some things in particular..especially when it comes to character appearance. I feel if our eyes are going to be focused on the cloak the majority of the time it should look pretty freakin' awesome.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.