Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

More than "Critical" is wrong with Melee in R34

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Yipp, Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

"IF" the intention was to reduce Melee's effectiveness because it was the strongest and that the mechanic of Blades vs Bludgeon needed to no longer have a differentiation, in secondary effects (look at skill trees and weapons), then I would reasonably expect the developers would provide a system which clearly demonstrates their thoughtful intent, however that is not what appears to have been delivered. And... there is not a single 1% of the top players that thinks Melee is stronger than magic in the current game as ranged is hugely advantaged as the game exists today in both PVE or PVP.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Chairstacker, Scraps MacMutt and uhop like this.
  2. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Then you must define "Stronger"... Are Melee able to survive longer than mages in battle, then the answer is absolutely freakin yes. Do Melee more damage than mages, then no, they dont and they shouldnt. Are melee good in pvp, then the answer is probably not, although you will still see some of the best PvP'er use melee as part of their arsenal.

3. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

They either overnerfed or the nerf they made to crit broke it. As a mage, I'm tired of hearing of all of my melee and archer friends switching to mage classes now (fire in particular) because it it'll likely lead to the magic classes being nerfed (which I think they are, for the most part, right where they should be), and it also decreases variety. It'll be no fun when literally everyone is a fire mage or air mage or earth mage and nothing else.

FrostII, Tydes, Zader and 2 others like this.
  4. uhop

uhop Avatar

I wish they demonstrated that at least once. Like literally explained a prep, facts, a thinking, and the chosen solution behind their decision --- it will earn them an immediate respect, kudos, cookie points, and so on, while stopping critics in their tracks.

Something like that would fit the bill: "We collected the stats, and they show that melee guys killed all archers, mages, especially air mages, and decimated all dungeons [plus some other bloodcurdling facts]. For example, at the latest census we couldn't find 1200 skeletons, who either defected to other games, finally died died, or otherwise MIA. And we are not talking about a garden variety former-grandpa-next-door undead, but the elite! hardened veterans! At five bucks a piece we are 6 big K in the hole --- yes, such quality associates do not come cheap! Obviously we had to nerf melee to cover losses at least until the herd of skeletons is back to normal numbers, and likely forever."

Mitara, Spoon and Alley Oop like this.
  5. uhop

uhop Avatar

How do you explain the difference in hits between versions within the same class? Some differences in the runs, or higher respawn rate => encountering more enemies?

Being a number guy myself I would love to see the full data. Please PM me, if you want to share it.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

Sorry friend, you and I are playing a different game, I truly wish you well.

Nolove 0369 likes this.
  7. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

What is missing from this calculation is a comparison between Bludgeon (as an example) vs Blades pre R34, in order to give a complete picture of the issue(s), caused by the change in this patch.

I am now going to bow out of the discussion barring a major development as my views have now been expressed and any further expression of those views only appear argumentative and redundant which neither is my intent.

Nolove 0369 likes this.
  8. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

You are welcome to play SotA anytime, we will welcome you back :)

Fister Magee likes this.
  9. Webberan

Webberan Avatar

There were 332 attacks against Earth Elementals in R33 run. It was before I realized that EEs take much less damage and skewed the numbers so I removed those from the stats. I concentrated on the first level of the mine in the R34 run and actually spent less time in the mine so the spawn rates are definitely higher.

Also, I think the reason for the big different in damage per hit is the nerf of Ignite Weapon. It does not look like they separated out ignite weapon damage on melee attack in the log, only the DOT numbers. So I think if the physical damage was 10 and the Ignite Weapon added damage was 5 then the log would say the physical attack was 15.

Mitara and uhop like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Webberan
    Any idea why your % misses doubled from R33 to R34 ?

11. Webberan

Webberan Avatar

No idea. All I know is many people are seeing the hit % down with melee and ranged. All of the mobs were yellow to me.

FrostII and Mitara like this.
  12. WehTeheFf

WehTeheFf Avatar

I can only speak for ranged, but the hit % seems down in general (maybe a minimum miss chance? seems to be about 5% miss minimum). Additional the miss chance against orange and red mobs seems to scale much higher than before (personally seen 79% against a red mob).

13. aseltine

aseltine Avatar

I feel useless as a 2H swordsman now. The mages, lower level than me, can kite and kill 5 ferocious reds at once, because they can stay out of range and never take a single hit. As soon as I go in full armor decked out, I'm dead in seconds. In rise, they stand and peek out a corner and AOE down the npc mages. I get slaughtered in 2 seconds if I pick a fight. Bottom line, if you melee, you might as well give up and reroll a mage.

FrostII and uhop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.