Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Move speed change is still bad

Discussion in 'Release 54 Feedback Forum' started by Despothes2, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

Even if you delete threads lol

TheGrinch likes this.
  2. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Avatar

is this a Forum or a place to only write complements?

3. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Evidently critical feedback is not welcome. Only post if you are praising something... lately not much reason to post if that is the case.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It amazes me how many people still say this after 4 years of being proved wrong. It's HOW you say it that some people don't seem to get.

Elwyn, Solazur, Cordelayne and 12 others like this.
  5. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Tons of people still say this after 4 years because it is correct. Speaking of HOW you say something, that threat that Chris made in the other thread to go nerf everything speed related sure was a professional response... wasn't it?

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Excuse me but people post critical feedback about game features and content on this forum literally every single day without any form of moderation.. the premise it's not welcome is simply false.

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Quite often, a thread will get locked and hidden for review by moderators. Once it's done, it will be shown again. But threads like this are usually the reason they need to moderate.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The only critical posts I've ever had deleted were the snarky ones. I usually can't help making jokes, and sometimes they can cut deep. I only really find that upsetting if it was a really good line. But I've never had a critical post deleted where I was being reasonable about it.

That said... yeah, Chris' responses to upset players (whether justified or not) can occasionally be a little... unprofessional.

Cordelayne and Barugon like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This tit for tat about how threads are moderated is a sure fire way to get a thread moderated. Stick to the topic and don't be a jerk and your thread will be fine. Also, if there are other threads on the topic then post in one of those. They will surely consolidate (i.e. lock or delete) multiple threads.

Sorthious, StarLord, Nog and 2 others like this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Critical feedback is okay, and spawns discussion - its probably better to put why you think something sucks, and offer suggestions/alternative ways to achieve whatever the nerf is trying to achieve. Often we just see people come here to fling poo, and unproductive poo-flinging threads get moderated, as they should.

11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Same here. I've had my critical comments deleted or moderated, but only when I've acted like a dbag.

If you really want to write negative feedback, and you do it in a respectful way, it won't get deleted or moderated. If you're going to act like a jerk, don't be surprised when the mods act like jerks right back. You're just wasting everyone's time.

K1000, Ben_Hroth and Nog like this.
  12. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

I didn't create the original thread and there were probably close to 50 replies. Who knows which one was the reason for the entire thread being deleted, and I can't recall every point that was made by every poster. Just pointing out that it was deleted.

I'll put some cliff notes on my thoughts about the change and reasoning for the change. Chris said something silly about players shouldn't be able to run around out-maneuvering NPCs, having essentially "zero risk." My thought was that this game is never zero risk because we have this asinine experience loss death penalty, yet most content is near zero reward. Still waiting to hear why he's not ok with "zero risk" in his opinion, but ok with near zero reward. I've rarely gone grinding and came back with a profit due to reagents, repairing gear, other consumables.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    FrostII and Shaylee like this.
  13. Shaylee

Shaylee Avatar

TheGrinch likes this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Technically they're only hidden. They remain visible to devs so any valid criticism isn't lost in that regard.

Last I checked, candor is not defined as being as being derisive, disrespectful or counter productive. It's entirely possible to be candid, make a valid point and be respectful at the same time.

Also what I think a lot of folks miss sometimes is that moderation of entire threads is usually because of the back and forth between people getting out of control and not the actual point being discussed.

Elwyn likes this.
  15. Shaylee

Shaylee Avatar

Please use the WHOLE sentence "... does not make it less valid; in FACT, if something is repeated often enough, with the same amount of disdain perhaps it should be looked at a little more closely."

The truth of it is, people are getting tired of saying the same thing and getting the same response from the devs.... *crickets* Sarcasm can be a very useful tool, but only if the person/people the comments are aimed at are paying attention. Oh wait... that is the problem, they aren't paying attention. Ok, I see what you mean, Nevermind.

TheGrinch likes this.
  16. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I hid the thread. That is one of the first ones I've ever personally hid. There were some good comments early on but after the first three pages it turned into about 3 people who didn't play the game trashing the other posters, the team, and the game. Full on troll mode. I'm all good with people giving constructive feedback but they had moved into, "F' this game and go play Game X instead" mode.

My belief is that the speed fix is the correct one. The thing that was the common thread for many of the posts was "Archers suck so bad and now you do this?" So while I believe the movement fix is the correct one, I think the real problem is that archers aren't capable of doing DPS on par with other weapons, even bludgeon. So that is a problem that needs to be fixed. I think we can also reevaluate how players leave combat as well but that will take some time and wasn't safe enough to cram in late on a Sunday night.

The build tomorrow has a small nudge in the right direction. The strength bonus for all bows was improved by about 33%. Crossbows actually had zero strength bonus and weren't being used by players but I hadn't heard any peeps about that but I fixed that as well. Realistically it doesn't make sense but reality modeling that makes things unusable also doesn't make sense.

Elwyn, Oremanger, Retro and 26 others like this.
  17. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This will be a good start, although I'm not sure Strength is the right direction here. I'd much rather see Dex have a larger part in ranged combat than Strength, but we'll see how this falls. Curiously, the Crossbow of Accuracy is the only xbow currently that DOES have a Str bonus, so it will be nice for the others to get one too.

18. Shaylee

Shaylee Avatar

While I do appreciate your thought to give Archers more UMPH when it comes to their bows... reducing the movement speed by 50% is a little much.... You miss the point - in that it isn't just the Archers it affects. It affects ANYONE who needs to move including those who wear the heavier armor. My suggestion, Chris, is that you play, and i mean ACTUALLY PLAY the game --- NOT IN GOD MODE --- so you can see, first hand, what you are changing.

Hornpipe and TheGrinch like this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Helloooooo thread lock!

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yes, this. I'll take the strength change over nothing, but this does feel a bit more in line with how a ranged build should work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.