Multi-Player online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korim Rackham, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What is going on right now with all of this forcing of people into modes stuff?

This hasn't been such a topic until now... What has changed that this has suddenly become such a hot topic?

Rebelweasel and Sir Cabirus like this.
  2. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

My guess is alot of people including myself thought the population would soar a bit after final wipe being annouced with the whole persistence thing, but thats not the case in the multi player mode atleast.

Tiki Pirate, CampersCrispin and smack like this.
  3. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I play almost entirely in Multiplayer mode. To me the other modes seem stupid and pointless but that's me. But I keep seeing people post resources are hard to get in multiplayer. That is literally the most laughable and untrue statement I've ever read the 1000s of ore I've collected in Multiplayer simply proves otherwise...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    strabo, Chatele, Stahlknecht and 5 others like this.
  4. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

For this game to pay for its continued development it's going to need tens of thousands more active players.

If a developer spends a couple days modeling a new piece of furniture for the online store and there's only 3000 active players to try and sell it to, the game is finished long term.

That's why we need changes that draw people in and build community. We just started persistence a few weeks ago, a time you'd expect the most influx of players and the cities are already empty. This game might be in huge trouble.

If this game feels empty for too long, the whole project will likely be mothballed within a year. If it does persist I bet they'll have to downsize the development team significantly. This outcome can be avoided likely if they foster an environment that retains players.

Forseti, Chatele, Preachyr and 6 others like this.
  5. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Agreed!

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Instead of forcing other people to play in multiplayer, so you guys see them. How about stop being repugnant and start building a community by setting up events and invite people to join? Give them the reasons why they would want to interact with you in the first place, then we'll go from there.

Right now when I'm in the adventure zones that have two or three people around outside my party, it's hardly worth my time fighting (or taking turns) for resources. Each adventure zone is supposed to support up to 2 parties of 8 people. Right now this is not the case.

Also the towns can get super laggy when there are certain numbers of people around. I wouldn't mind. I would rather see a few people and be able to go around the town rather than stuck in lag due to 100 people crowded just to go around.

After they optimize the game to make it less lag, and make the adventure zones become more cooperative friendly, then people will switch over to multiplayer more organically.

If you feel insecure or lonely, just drop by Discord server. There are tons of people talking about the game and sharing knowledge almost 24/7 since everyone is from all over the world.

Dantuin, Alley Oop, strabo and 7 others like this.
  7. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't see anything sad about people using single player and friends mode. If you want to group and can't find people in game to group with, I'm sure you could find people here. Once you know more people then it's easy.

Sophi, Sir Cabirus and 4EverLost like this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

This. You can't force people to be social. Entice them into being social with things that will interest them into joining in by their own volition. I totally agree about community building. Even with what the community is currently doing, it could always use more.

For those that are lonely while playing online, check out a community event or two and make more friends. Or, just wait until the game is launched. Final Wipe was expected to raise the number of concurrent active players, but we all knew that wasn't going to be in the many thousands. It was only to retain the pre-existing active ones that were frustrated with wipes, who were dropping in/out and no longer testing (and the loudest at complaining). There was certainly an influx of new players (current backers who never played and new backers) but it's nowhere near the levels of a launched game. Also, as explained in a different post, the hundreds of splintered and instanced scenes relative to active population won't help.

Sure, there are people playing in SPO and FPO due to the resource imbalance and issues the devs have not prioritized into solving (yet). Just /bug it all and eventually they'll get around to it.

Sophi, Alley Oop, Elwyn and 4 others like this.
  9. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I'm fine with people playing solo if they wish; however, in the current state anti-social behavior is rewarded while social behavior is penalized.

Rare nodes and drops should only be available in multiplayer, PVP zones should have even more enticement for the high end rare nodes/drops.

I always play multiplayer. If others want single player that is fine with me; but, I feel they don't contribute to the community as much as multiplayer players do.

This game needs multiplayer more than single player to make it in the long run. How long did people play Morrowind vs WOW? Balder's Gate vs UO?

Single Player - Multi-Episode or not will not last.

Snikorts likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know about others, but I play single-player games longer than I do multiplayer games. That's because multiplayer games are mostly just grinding, and grinding is boring. So, I finish the story content, then get bored of the game and forget about it. On the other hand, I'm still playing DOS games from the 90s today because the gameplay is fun in and of itself.

I'm not saying that the devs shouldn't create a good multiplayer experience, though I believe whole-heartedly that the multiplayer aspects of the game need to be built on top of a solid solo player experience -- one that should borrow from single-player games. The multiplayer aspects of the game then should add on to this and enhance it, and this will make the whole game more compelling, and make it stand out as better than the MMOs out there on the market.

Sophi, Chatele, Mykll and 6 others like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Something to do with the game matching six people together in a scene as small as East Perennial Trail....

And a bunch of other small aspects of the game mechanics that I think can be adjusted as to not discourage people from leaving multiplayer.

Tiki Pirate likes this.
  12. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Agree, I love some single player games - and have good friends that avoid MMORPG's. But, I don't think multiplayer should suffer while single player gets a big advantage - and turn those advantages into further gains by selling to multiplayer players.

Ultimately, I see a place for both, but think the highest competition and risk (Multiplayer PVP zones) should get the greatest rewards.

I really do hope people are able to log on and play solo or with friends; but, if new players come to the game and find no friends (because playing solo or in cliques is advantageous) the game will die IMO.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think both need to complement each other... I think that was the original idea behind selective multiplayer, and am discouraged whenever I hear people on the one hand emphasize single-player offline instead of SPO, or on the other hand, focus entirely on multiplayer to the point that what they want would create a bad solo gaming experience.

Chatele, Pickley, Anvar and 5 others like this.
  14. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Agree, both need to and should work together. I think they could work together; but, the balance is off. Each should have their own space. Together they could be something new, unique, and original that could pull from a bigger pool of players than just one by itself.

I really think if resource nodes were only de-spawned per player (meaning two or more people could harvest a node in multiplayer - with individual timers per player for respawn) it would go a long way to encourage more people to play multiplayer. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix for mobs, etc. However; sometimes players could harvest nodes faster in areas cleared by others in multiplayer, thus balancing out/changing single player/multiplayer dynamics.

My main issue is that I see some great people,community spirit, and participation here on the forums, I wish I saw it more in game - I do see it, but hope for more!

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

But still... why would you want six people gathered around around a single cotton in East Perennial Trail? Its a small scene. Its just going to feel like there's a lot of traffic clogging up the small space. And what about the mobs? Six times as many skeletons in that small scene to match the six players?

What does any of that even accomplish? Does it make the game better? Who really wants to meet six people in East Perennial Trail?

I think there's a notion that people have that forcing people to meet up in scenes -- even where its not comfortable -- will make the multiplayer game better. I simply don't agree. Yes, sometimes its fun to meet people up in scenes... but there's a lot of times where its not fun and adds nothing to the game. Except maybe the feeling that the game world is populated. But, on the other hand, the consequence of this is it drives people into SPO/FPO, and cities and towns are more empty, and the game ends up feeling less populated. So, the effort to force match-making in my view is self-defeating.

16. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

dude to the overwhelmingly high occurrance of people killing mobs and not looting, and chopping trees and not collecting the lumber -which drastically increases respawn time - I pretty much always am in Friends Only mode.

Sophi, Alley Oop, NRaas and 1 other person like this.
  17. Caradin

Caradin Avatar

Personally I never understood why we have all these modes. Keep the singleplayer offline mode for those who like that, and multiplayer for the rest. This is just my opinion and I respect that many have other views. I only play in multiplayer mode, even though Im not very social. But seeing other players makes the world feel so much more alive.

18. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Is it possible for the game to feel less populated than it already does?

Tiki Pirate likes this.
  19. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Hence my suggestion in another thread https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/solo-friend-mmo-modes.56834/ to add another / combine the modes so solo and friends are basicly the same atm anyhow, if your solo or in friends you wont seee anyone unless in a party so to all intents they are the same, the only difference is in solo mode you cant invite or be invited to a party, that is it.

So then theres 2 modes , adding a 3rd 1/2 way house option that is friends in a hunting scene and mmo on the map and town would make the game feel more alive and still let everyone play how they want.

Also adding an easy ingame selection to switch more easily would be a start and would help.

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Really what did you expect would happen?
    It's the logical conclusion if players see this game as an mmo.
    Not trying to be itchy here, that's just my guess.

I am torn about this topic.
    In the end you can play this game as an mmo but it isn't one. It's selective Multiplayer. I am quite happy that I don't have to deal with people if I don't want to.
    But of course I can see the merits in a world that looks busy.
    Most people in this forum already don't understand what selective Multiplayer means and a lot them are here for years!
    How a noob can understand this game System?
    I am all for incentives for Multiplayer if this dosen't punish the solo players. Or for world Events that are mmo exclusive.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.