Multi-Player online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korim Rackham, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

Ha! What's disappointing is your lack of concern for this games future bud...

2. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I'm just throwing out ideas dude. That was the point of these forums was it not? So apparently it's actually for flogging people with differing opinions into submission until they let it go? I got it! I didn't say the modes themselves were nonsense the constant need / desire to switch is what is nonsense making the game feel empty and dead. I love how you guys want to be able to select who you play with / interact with yet don't want others to select who they buy from / support in game based on the exact same set of guidelines...

3. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

If they balanced how you could farm/grind resources, why the need to segregate even further? Us guys, want to select who we play with, yes, that's a fact and it was pitched to us that way. I'm fine if they want to make overworld map and towns OPO, but shouldn't be that way to adventure. They need to balance it or give some type of incentives to either side. Right now, OPO isn't worth it so that's why so many people are doing it. No one's gonna flog someone for an idea they put out there. Usually, they will when someone puts it like it somehow 'needs' to happen to save the game from all of the solo nonsense going out there. It's all in how it's presented. I'm fine discussing ideas rather than being told what the devs have to do.

Edit: You might not like SPO/FPO for your reasons, but does the answer need to be driving a further wedge between the modes with flagging items so people can make an 'informed' decision while buying? I think they would rather try to get these modes integrated and working together first.

4. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I agree that getting the modes integrated better would be the best result. I think in all reality that's what this discussion is all about. We don't expect our ideas to actually get implemented but in throwing them out there is furthers the discussion to reach some kind of mutually agreeable term. However most of these guys you're defending have already bluntly expressed how they are not interested in compromising on anything. Going in with that kinda attitude only results in threads going in circles and avoiding the central issue which I'm afraid is exactly what they want to see happen so people with opinions like mine can be quickly and quietly brushed under the proverbial rug.

Baalice and Tiki Pirate like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Most people i "play with" keep to friends only mode, and makes it frustrating to interact with them.

manufacturedsoul likes this.
  6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

EPT is a special case, it is just simply way too small for more than 3 or 4 people, certainly not 16. Solace Bridge is not much better. Most of the other areas in the game are just fine (Highvale is a great spot for low level exp), but those two are much more well-known.

I saw a stats graph someone linked to which is based on public Steam information and you can see the number of players nearly flatline in R30/R31. Now it has returned to similar numbers as before, but you can clearly see a day/night cycle in the numbers that wasn't there before. It has recovered to earlier pre-release levels, but not yet taken off.

After all, it is still officially not released, only persistence has happened and there is still a lot of tuning ahead. From what I've been hearing, official release is about six months away, and not only are there people waiting, but many have barely heard of the game due to the lack of marketing push. I only found out about it when LB and DS showed it off at a local game convention in Austin, with a "sign up for a free weekend" offer.

I can wait six months for the real crowds to show up.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Too small for even 3 to 4 people I think. And some people might even leave at 1 or 2. But that's the point, I think... that the devs have to design the matching system so it works differently from scene to scene and in a way that feels right and is workable for most players.

8. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Huzzah!

Korim Rackham likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think their main concern so far has been simple performance metrics in scenes. But EPT is a case where the feasible number of players inside is still lower than the technical performance limit. In that way it's a good thing, because it makes it painfully obvious that a scene can simply be too small.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  10. Almimsy

Almimsy Avatar

I enjoy playing multi-player, even when just hunting resources. I like seeing other people about, and enjoy jumping in and helping when they seem to be loosing their battle against a mob, and it makes me happy to see them get that node they were working so hard to get. What I don't like is going through the work of solo killing a mob guarding a resource only to have someone run up and grab it out from under me. Or killing something, and while I am running up to grab the hide, someone else sneaking in and grabbing it before I can. Usually at that point I switch to solo mode until my anger cools, and has made me leary of resource hunting with any other players around. If they could solve the problem of discourteous players, I would always run in multi-player. Unfortunately, that's an impossible request, and I'm glad for the solo-mode for when I'm feeling frustrated.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The solution is non consensual pvp. But that is not in this game. There will be mining in some of the pvp zones and then you can kill those jerks. :)

Almimsy likes this.
  12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Ok Just want to make sure we're on the same page here. Just because people don't agree with your proposal, doesn't mean they don't care about the game. If they lack of concern for this game, then why bother posting on this forum in the first place?

Here is what gonna happen when everyone is force into the multiplayer mode:
    • People are gonna log in, got stuck at Brittany zone loading scene.
    • People will get frustrated for not being able to go meet up with their friends because they got sent to the other instance because the one their friends are already filled up.
    • If you were here on the first day after the final wipe, you would find there were hardly anything to harvest or kill in Solace Bridge or East Perennial Trails because they were too many people and the respawn rate did not adapt to that. Now people wouldn't have a choice avoid that frustration.
    • The price of harvest resources and gears will be higher because it will more time and patience of the gatherers to obtain these resources.
    It will be even worse if new players come into the game and experience these issues upfront. Many people who have been playing here are resorting to friend only or single player online mode, so that they can continue playing the game and provide feedback for further development.

If you can't see these as issues and the root causes of why people decide to avoid multiplayer mode, then how about this? Explain to us on what make you are so important that we have to suck it up with these issues just so that you can see us running around? What good does enforcing multiplayer only would do if people can't play and enjoy the game?

Anyway, my main point here is to have the dev fix the darn lag, respawn rates, encourage players to play cooperatively or competitively with more incentives on all parties. Once these conditions are met, it will be worthwhile for people stay on multiplayer online more often. These items are what they're gonna work on anyway if you look at their road map.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Phiedrus, 4EverLost and Sir Frank like this.
  13. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Hmm a lot of these issues have been solved in other MMOs. But, because from a design point, SOTA didn't want to clone those other games, or freely call itself an MMO, we are currently stuck with these issues?

Gathering resources. If you can see it, you can grab it. No idea what the behind the scenes tech is, but resources are local to us and nobody else.

Skinning and looting mobs. You tag it first you get the exp, skill gains, loot rights. After a few minutes the corpse and skinning gets opened for others to loot and skin. In a party? The entire party has access to it.

Force Multiplayer Online for full PVP zones. Without the need to relog. When leaving PVP zone you get returned to your previous setting. With this setting players can change their online mode that gets activated on their next zoning without relogging.

All online modes share the same world. Only Offline is fully segregated. Bad enough we would have to hunt for the best deals, in the best cities, on the best vendors, now we have to add to that mix the best Online mode, if we were to separate resources from all the modes? Add to that, that the majority over time, could enforce everyone else to play a certain online mode, by slowly buying and selling more and more items over time on a certain online mode. Add to that, that because resources would have to be flagged differently, they would not be able to stack. We would have Single Online Cotton, Friend Online Cotton, Multiplayer Online Cotton, that could not be stacked. Add to that, the complexities of crafting. Could we then craft with materials from different online modes, in the same recipe? Seems like splitting resources between the various modes can get messy over a number of things pretty fast.

Yeah I had other things but the online modes sapped up all my thoughts at the moment.

14. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

First off man it's not "just me" that is blatantly obvious. Second I could easily ask the same of you. Who the heck are you to tell me or the rest of us what's what!? You seem to chime in over and over like your someone reality check your not anyone either so both our opinions and ideas are equally valid this isn't a contest. While the issues you've outlined may be somewhat valid so are mine and the others here. This generic copy and paste response about something being promised at kickerstarter is a joke.

Things change, people change, situations change, wait for it THIS GAME CAN CHANGE!!! Nothing is set in stone due to some Kickstarter half baked promise the sooner you and your pals realize this the better the game will be for it. If you or I don't like it tough chops for us! This isn't about you or me seeing each other it's about the perception of the games online community to the new players we hope to have arrive after launch and stay for years to come. It's about the world feeling like a world not some static map with 300 POTs barren of people. Who is gonna come and stay for years when Brittany central is less crowded than Atlantic Luna bank in UO. When POT after visit able POT lies empty and barren of players. Wake up sir! As it stands I can find more active players in 2 minutes in UO than in 20 in SotA if you don't see this as a problem you sir are part of that problem plain and simple. Chiming in time and time again to attempt to sell the same lie like some kinda snake oil salesman is getting old man REAL OLD.

danjacobsmith likes this.
  15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Well.. I was minding my own business just fine until some folks come out of the blue and try to decide how I should play the game. I play multiplayer for most of the time to interact with people. Go on friend only when I want to group with friends and go solo when there are too many people on the scene. I do not have problem with people having choices. That is my stance.

You seem to completely ignore my main points that I listed why we should not force people to go on multiplayer *RIGHT NOW*. Instead of constantly accusing other people lacking concern for the game, how about read their reasoning and come up with solutions toward that? All I see you type here is just throwing a threat that the game will fail if everyone is not forced to be in multiplayer mode.

When they fixed those lag issue and make it more appealing for people to be in the same zones, then people will be on multi players more. Forcing people to be this mode round would just ruin their fun. I don't understand why you are so strong want to force people to play in this mode just for to see people running around. If the game is fun, people will play. If it isn't then they won't. It's really that simple. Shoving people around just for the sake of seeing one another won't make any game fun.

Anyway, I'll just be repeating myself over and over again at this point, so I don't have anything else to contribute to this topic. I hope you enjoyed cherry picking couple of my sentences to build the argument instead of reading the whole things. Ain't forum PVP fun, eh?

Womby likes this.
  16. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

Dude I'm not cherry picking anything. I didn't gloss over anything either. I also never said implement this in R33 did I? Did I say we need it "Now" nope didn't say that either. Your just making stuff up at this point. The sad reality of your argument is that you have no problem telling me how I should be forced to play by your rules or forced to buy goods obtained via questionable means that I disapprove of yet when the shoe slips to the other persons foot you have a fit. Quit trying to tell me I'm trying to force something on you and yours when currently the only people being forced to do anything are us multi players who are forced to hear the same copy and paste argument over and over in an attempt to silence a valid opinion...

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They're already going to force multiplayer mode for PvP areas, might as well do it for towns and the world map too.

18. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

As far as this goes, it's never just a copy and paste response for me personally and definitely doesn't feel like a joke. It's Kickstarter that got this game off the ground, and in no small way. I don't count my contribution any more than anyone else's but it was not small by any means. As such, I have a vested interest in how the game eventually turns out. If it changes (and it has/will), I'm going to have to be able to live with those changes that ultimately aren't up to any of us. If I can, I'll stick around. If I can't, I just won't play but it would have to be changed quite a bit for me to take such a loss. It's not all about the money for a lot of us but you're definitely going to see people feeling strongly about certain points due to it. The feeling of wasting money on anything makes most people um, let's say... 'passionate'. ;)

Having the game feel empty to new players is most definitely an issue and would need to be resolved by making the different modes work better together. Auto-switching would help a lot in my opinion too. Continuing to segregate the player base by making single player good somehow less 'scrupulous' doesn't seem the best way to start bringing things together. Again, in my opinion. The devs will make the final call but I would hope they would try for a balancing of the modes rather than let one mode stay unbalanced but then encourage people to boycott those players.

19. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

People need to realize these changes are a story of integration not segregation. In the end almost everyone is going to be much happier if this is done in the right manner. Look at ARPG's as an example. Some of them retain hundreds of thousands of players with public meeting areas and solo and multi-player content spawned at the click of a button. No logging in and out, and no one complains about having their own content.

This isn't a matter of trying to change the rules to force players to deal with others, it's about good game design. It's possible to enjoy the company of others in public areas while seamlessly being able to adventure on your own. People fighting for a change here, are not trying to destroy the vision of the kickstarter, they are trying to create seamless game play that works while retaining most of the original vision.

20. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

I'm playing almost exclusively with my brother in FPO, since I'm not playing for the competition or the bigger social aspects of the game, but for relaxation and stress relief after work. And I'm quite happy with seeing not so many other players, but to explore the world together with my brother or in a small group. And if I really am in the mood, I can go open, but otherwise I'm fine with the way it works now :)

Womby, smack, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.