Multi-Player online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korim Rackham, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

You speak for no-one but yourself. Stop saying everyone else wants what you want, as you are only one person, and your opinion is only your own. Many people have said they do not want the game to go in the direction you want it to go in.

Lately every time I come on to the Forum I see endless complaining, and threads saying something along the line of "SAVE THE GAME, THIS NEEDS TO END NOW OR ELSE..." and am getting really sick of it. Do not know why this has started of late, other than word of the game is spreading and there is an influx of people, and with it are coming those who seem to have nothing better to do than complain.

When you go into a business and you find that you do not like the product(s) they offer you don't start ranting and raving about how they better change their business to suit you OR ELSE, blah, blah, blah...you go somewhere else to shop. Stop trying to change this game to fit your desires, stop trying to ruin it for the people who are happy with the way it is designed. If you do not like this game, go find/play a game you do like.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

I play almost entirely in Friends Only mode. In real life I hate crowds. It's the same in game. To me multiplayer shatters my immersion by constantly taking me out of my fantasy. I especially hate seeing other people talk to the same NPC as me about the same quest. Until SotA I have always played single player games. The only reason I'm here is because I can also play this game like a single player game. I wouldn't take too kindly to being forced into multiplayer - with the negative impact that has on my ability to enjoy the game - just to make the place look full.

3. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

Sorry sir you are incorrect. I didn't even start this thread so your assumption it's "only" me is laughably false. Second neither I nor anyone else cares about what "you" are sick of just like you don't care about my or many others expressed opinions in this thread. Kthanx!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Korim Rackham likes this.
  4. mercster

mercster Avatar

Niche game that will never take off enough for you to find PUGs.

Mykll likes this.
  5. mercster

mercster Avatar

You like telling people what to do, don't you?

6. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I started playing in Multiplayer Online but when the game became laggy and loading takes over 4 minutes I switched to Single Player Online and that's how I'm playing the game right now... ヽ(^。^)丿

7. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

FRIENDS ONLY EXPLOIT MODE :D

8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Basically its the chat system that sucks. By the time you say something to someone they are gone from sight. They need a better chat network in world.

Mykll and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  9. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

He said some of us, and im part of that some of us!

10. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

At this point i could wait years to see crowds show up, and i prob will have to. Nice thing about low pledge is your pledge is pledged so you have access i can completely forget the game until release, POST RELEASE RELEASE, or whatever term we can come up with. My concern is i want the game to succeed id love to play it in a multi player setting with lots of people with MMO features for those that like the same thing. Single players can play in SPO mode for all i care, thats their choice. But its interesting when the Multi player issues are brought up the trumpets come ringing and a large number of people get on the whole SOTA wasnt meant to be an MMO bandwagon. But if you look at the way the game is set up i dont think thats the case. How many people would invest 1000's of dollars to buy thing for a SPO mode they couldnt share with anyone. I admit there may be some, but for humanities sake i hope they are far and few between. I assume people want those expired rewards, and high level pledges to show things off, and differentiate themselves from avatars in an online world.

11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

When you say SPO, are you talking about single player online or single player offline?

12. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

well if you want to play online i dont get why you would want to do it online since you want single player right?
    Honestly i think there should be only offline mode for singleplayer but that is my personal opinion and doesnt hold any weight. I mean why would ANYONE want an online mode for a single player experience? Unless of course they are looking for a limited online experience but to me that just doesnt make sense but it doesnt have to. Seriously though if you want to play online go multi player.

13. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Ok let's take a deep breathe and keep an open mind since you do not understand why anyone want an online mode for a single player experience. I want to make sure we're on the same page here with other people as well.

1. Single player offline line mode is a completely separate mode from the online mode. The data will be not shared (online *maybe* cloned to offline, but never the other way around).
    2. Multiplayer, Friend only, single players are all essentially *Online* mode. What it means is that players in these three modes share the same persistence data:
    1. Lot/Housing ownership and decoration.
    2. Everyone see the same public vendors and player vendors listing.
    3. People can chat in the zone, guild, whisper to one another regardless of what modes they are in.
    4. If person A is in a different town from a person B, it would make no difference what mode they are on except the friend-teleportation ability.
    5. Even if we have 1000 people in multiplayer mode go to Owl's Head, you would only see up to 60 people on the same instance (you can still talk to them via guild/zone/whisper). Today I went to Pax Lair because people were in there for the telethon. At some point, the game start to get lag and the game client automatically switch me to another instance where there's nobody around. At this point it's no different from being in friend only or single player.
    3. When you go to the dungeons or most of the mines, it will send you to a single player instance regardless of what mode you are on. In order to be on the same instance with other people, you will have to be in the party with them (the single-player-only instance is the exception).

4. To be able to utilize friend teleportation, the player will either have to switch to multiplayer mode or get in a party with the target in the friend only mode.

5. As of how the mob and resource spawner on the "shared" areas work right now, by the time you have to 3-4 people who know what they are doing, there will barely be any left for the 5th person to come in to kill mobs and/or harvest resources. If that 5th person move to another zone, it would make no different what mode he is on. This is the main reason why people switch out from multiplayer modes because they don't want to waste time running around just to find nothing to kill. Alot of us here are working adults with wife/husband, there is so limited number of time we could spend on the game each day/night.

6. There might also be introvert people who simply just don't feel comfortable interact with other people. Would really matter if this person gonna be on the scene with you or not? The chance is he/she might just walk by and not even talking to you anyway. At least these people testing the game on the specific features and have them report bugs.

7. Due to issue with AMD certain version of APU chipset and Unity, some people can't even get on the multi player mode, so they don't even have a choice even if they want to.

What I'm getting at here is that beside not seeing people running around if you happen to be one the zone, there isn't that much different between these modes. If bots and afk-macroers are your concerns, the devs team have tools and metrics to track resource injecting into the circulations, they don't need players to monitor for them.

As another poster mentioned earlier, the best way to get more people to show in town is to make the mode switching more seamless since they already have done in certain scenario already. Right now people have to log out and log back in to switch the mode, which just extra work that people may avoid unless they want to teleport to someone or hang out with other people at the tavern or something.

If you still disagree, would you mind explain in details why having friend only or single player online mode would be such a big deal and fatal blow to multi player mode?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Baalice, AndiZ275, golruul and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.