Multiple 'Friends' Lists

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just an idea off the top of my head while thinking about how to set up controllable situations for guild warfare or other applications using Friends Only mode..

As the title suggests the idea is to have some way to have multiple lists which you could then set to active for Friends Only filtering. Like having a library of music with a favorite's list.

Say we're stuck with the current guild warfare system.. as an example as this is what sparked the idea.. Friends Only includes not just friends.. but friends of friends.. and if you want a controlled setting for guild warfare.. each guild would have to 'friend' all the participating members of the opposing guild(s).. which means you'll see all of their friends as well. That'll get messy quick..

But.. if you could create an allies and enemies list from amongst all your 'friends' and set it to active.. you could effectively filter out all of your 'friends' who are not participating without having to remove them from your master list. There would be reliance on an honor system of course but it would be doable.

Functionally in-game it would just be like telling Friend's Only mode these are the friends I want to see..

2. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

The only other way I could think of is to make like a 'Guilds Only" online or something. So if two guild leaders agreed to a war then either guild has the choice of SPO, Friends Only, MPO, OR Guild War Online (or something). It would instance whichever guild you were currently at war with together (issues might arise if a guild has more than 1 war going at a time then tho). I'm def not a fan of fracturing the population even further w/yet another mode of online play.

Dunno, just spit-balling really. :)

Moiseyev Trueden and 4EverLost like this.
  3. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Maybe it'll be less work for the player with this one though - less lists to manage - which is a good thing for some of us.:rolleyes:

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Personally I'd prefer it if they just had a relative PvP tag.. or shall we say a guild-war tag. But in thinking about multiple lists I was thinking it might be useful for other scenarios. It's just that guild wars are fresh in my mind at the moment.

Edit: For example.. let's say you have a large group of friends.. some are RPers.. some are PvPers.. etc.. and one day you might want to play with everyone.. another you might want to focus on your RP or just play with a smaller group of friends..

I know it's not the greatest idea since sliced bread so feel free to poke holes.

Oba Evesor and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

*Moiseyev pulls out the swiss cheese machine of doom... re-reads thread... decides that it doesn't deserve any holes poked in it*

I personally would love to have multiple lists and tags. I'd have one for newbies I am currently helping, one for close friends, one for straight RPers, etc. I don't see any legit reason to not have multiple flags for people (coding time being the only quasi-legit reason). I don't know if I would have multiple LOG IN styles as that would necessitate major headaches as mentioned with the friends of friends of friends side, but it would be very helpful for organizing different play styles.

Ice Queen likes this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I guess the way I see it, the modes are supposed to filter down who you can encounter. But this should automatically expand to encompass things you have opted in on. So Friends mode will not only show you your friends, but also everyone if the guild you are at war with (whom you probably are not "friends' with). So this would work, except for the "friends of friends" link.

Maybe if they just had an option in Single Player Online mode, it would allow you to see your guild and those you are at war with, but exclude everyone else including friends. Basically, a "Guild Play Online" setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.