Murdering squirrels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I can't imagine why anyone would even want to.

Again I don't understand the assumption that more grinding draws more people into the game.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So the players who do need lots of these for food and sell a lot, are people putting purchase orders for these? There’s plenty of us who harvest and love to make money.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Part of the problem is you have to identify someone willing to sell it first. And for a lot of goods in the market, you can't do that, and that's partly because demand varies for different things. The market mechanics in the game are very hard to work with, and I don't think that's something that's going to get better by just giving us one big global UI, which some people have suggested. I want to be able to go to a store by someone who harvests things like that, like a nuts store, identifiable because his store is specialized and advertised, and put a note in his mailbox, "hey I need deez nuts."

But regardless, if the mechanics for harvesting or crafting are fun for a small number of people, but not for a big number of people that's just a problem, too; it doesn't make the game better.

My approach to NPC vendors selling goods has always been that if its easier to get it from an NPC, then its too hard to get it in the market or in the game through your own means through harvesting or crafting (either way). So the right solution IMO is never to yank things from NPCs, but to make the player-driven game better.

Cordelayne, Elwyn, Botocks and 2 others like this.
  4. Lilofee

Lilofee Avatar

And I just said: imagine :)

Botocks likes this.
  5. Lained

Lained Avatar

On Ven Dor in Novia Market. ;)

Violet Ronso and Anpu like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wish I would have known about this change before today so that I could have at least loaded up on pecans.

7. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Please reconsider this, I do use pecan nuts, but not in crazy amounts, but I also dont want to have to search for these or kill squirrels for a for days to do a run of something. How about pecan trees? We already have apple trees, and coconuts....why not pecans? ....or just put them back on the vendor....

8. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

So next to farming squirrels and cutting trees for hours on end i should spend more hours in the dreadful Vendor Interface posting buy orders in the hopes that someone would sell them to me?
    I assume the price for pecan nuts goes nuts now. That will increase the food price. At the moment there is only a very small margin to earn some gold by selling food. And the margin would get even
    smaller because players really dont like it when food prices, which they are used to, increase.

If the Devs really feel the need to remove things from NPC Vendors and move them to the player economy then just give us an alternative. Like Pecan Nuts Seeds. Increasing the drop rate from 1-2 to 2-4 is NOT an alternative!

Anpu, Elwyn, FBohler and 2 others like this.
  9. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I'll post this here too, seems we have 2 threads on the same subject.

"As with anything we're trying to put into the hands of players, we'll be monitoring their availability and increase/decrease drop rates accordingly.
    In regards to pecan nuts, they will become more available in R93 with a new scene that will include a lot of squirrels for some fun (demented?) squirrel slaying rampages.

Also a daily in Tanglemire will gain a batch of these as a reward (could patch in before R93).

I'll also review the recipes to see if they use too many per recipe and perhaps tone them down a tad as another way to adjust.

I'll examine Reaper loot as well and perhaps increase them there as well.

I'll keep an eye on it, please continue with feedback and provide other ideas that do not include putting them back on a vendor.

So hopefully if the increases that have already occurred were not enough, this could push things up quite a bit. Lots of ways to adjust this without dumping them back on a merchant as boring gold sink. Not sayin you'll have an unlimited supply and you won't need to rely on fellow players to purchase from, but you'll have more options beyond the increases coming very soon."

We'll get the forumla right. Keep the feedback rolling with ideas on such things and interesting places they can be obtained. Agriculture could be a thing for them one day, perhaps.

Cordelayne, FBohler, Gravidy and 5 others like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

[​IMG]

11. Thor99Plyr

Thor99Plyr Avatar

My biggest joy in SOTA is I suggested an NPC for Central Brit that is a squirrel vendor, surrounded by Cats and spouts conspiracy theories about the Oracle. Lum the Mad approved it and she made it in the game as Lillith. Unfortunately she doesn't actually sell squirrels, she just offers to once in a while. So, unfortunately this won't help you get any pecans. But it still makes me chuckle when I go to Central Brit. I had to screenshot the message from Lum in case it ever gets deleted. Its the small things...

Cordelayne, Alley Oop and Vaentorian like this.
  12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Old and tired: poisoning pigeons in the park
    New hotness: slaughtering squirrels with a sword

Wow, those sure are some oily nuts.

Anyhow, good thing I just kept dumping them into my bank and barely touched them.

One more thing: there are some scenes with world-deco of jars on shelves, I think some of those might be cooking oil and nut butter.

Gravidy likes this.
  13. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

The jars in the world are nut butter, veg stock, beef stock, and empty. No jars of oil in the wild.

Anpu likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

With a bow, it's just point and click.

15. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

pecan trees? a farmable substance. Not like the dev team in Austin doesn't live near a large squirrel statue that is in front of a pecan tree farm...that sells a ton of pecans.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  16. Elgarion

I posted this in the other pecan nut thread:

Patching in shortly: Nut Butter and Cooking Oil will utilize far less Pecan Nuts than before. This will likely be the largest factor in helping in this regard. Additionally, Grey and Yellow Supply bundles now have a greater chance to drop a stack of Pecan Nuts, Brown Cap Mushrooms, or Cinnaomon Bark (chance for one stack of these 3 items), which of course pushes these same changes into Storehouse Container rewards. Also... The little scavenger girl in Tanglemire now also provides a decently large stack of Pecan Nuts as a reward to the Missing Bones daily.

Also patching in soon, I've put them back on vendors not quite to double their previous price. Now 25g instead of 15g. I'll continue to monitor the creation and destruction rates of these throughout the duration of R92 and make hopefully final adjustments for R93 (which even adds in more loot possibilities... Squirrel Hill in Sannio's upcoming scene Outlaw's Run as well as a new leaf pile resource type node Sannio has created which I can populate with little goodies.)

I checked all the other drop rates elsewhere, and they look pretty good. There are lots of options for how these flow into the economy which I'll list below. If folks don't want to go look for these, they'll get them inadvertently anyway through many of these means. Players with no need for them will sell them to others. Squirrels likely wouldn't even be the primary source for these anyway, but guess that's the focus point in this thread. Crates, Containers, and Sacks etc would likely be ideal in this regard in sheer/quick quantities to acquire, and there are scenes full of them. Over the past many months, I've been pushing lots of goodies into those little fellas.

In any case, here's a map of things you can get these from to include any of the newly added sources:

Player Vendors
    Tanglemire Missing Bones Daily (New with R92)
    Grey Bundles (New with R92, Increased with Patch)
    Yellow Bundles (New with R92, Increased with Patch)
    Storehouse Container Rewards (New with R92, Increased with Patch)
    Sacks (New with R92)
    Destructible Crates & Containers (New with R92)
    Squirrels (Increased as of R92)
    Reapers
    Swamp Reapers
    Maple Trees (I guess squirrels carried them up there?)
    Pine Trees (I guess squirrels carried them up there?)
    NPC Merchants at 25g (Patching in, likely to be removed in R93, feel free to stock up if you find it necessary, but there should be enough to support any needs, especially with recipe requirement reductions already in place).
    Leaf Piles in Outlaw's Run (R93)
    Squirrel Hill in Outlaw's Run (R93)

I'll continue to monitor and see what the drop and destruction rates are all this month to prep for any more changes in R93 if any.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do understand the impatience folks can have with these types of events, but please do try to always keep feedback kind, considerate, and constructive. :) I'll always do my best to do what's best for the overall economy in these situations which promote player to player interactions, and if something goes afoul, I'll work doubly hard to fix. Having Pecan Nuts as yet another item on your vendor that could sell well is definitely an ultimate goal at the end of this adjustment.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  17. Elgarion

Hahaha, nice :) Perhaps at some point soon I can do spawners for POT's and perhaps even property (they'd count against NPC count likely) that could allow you to get certain mundane creatures throughout your town. I'll put this on the ol' idea list. I probably wouldn't just dump them on a merchant though. Perhaps you'd have to go out and obtain them and bring back via adventure/gathering/exploration.

In regards to them being oily nuts, the item is plural, so perhaps there's a lot of little nuts in each single inventory item. I think keeping it vague is fine though for simplification purposes.

18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

With immolation it's just chase and bake.

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, another fun way.

20. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Personal favourite - 2-Handed TorcDawl Hammer :D

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.