1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Music Sheets - Increase title to 40 characters length (instead of 32)

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Eveara, Jun 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

Dear y'all,

I believe the title is pretty much self-explanatory. ^^'

It would make my life tremendously easier if our music sheets could have titles of 40 characters max, instead of the current 32.

I could write a lengthy explanation about the 'why', but I believe it wouldn't be of any interest... And it probably would bore everyone to death.

If other people think such a change wouldn't be an improvement, I'd very much like to know the reasons why (because I'm curious).

Whatever happens: hugs for everyone!

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi thanks for the hugs. I think it's a great idea to have ability to have the song title a little longer. Many times I can't add it all and have to abbreviate.

Wilfred and Eveara like this.
  3. Toular

Toular Avatar

I'll second this. I've also had to shorten titles. Even 40 characters is not always enough, as I have a few that are a few over 40 characters - mostly instrument-specific sheets. For example, I have this band file: Fanfare For The Common Man.txt
    Flute=Fanfare For The Common Man-Flute.abc
    Recorder=Fanfare For The Common Man-Recorder.abc
    StreetOrgan=Fanfare For The Common Man-StreetOrgan.abc
    Drum=Fanfare For The Common Man-Drum.abc

"Fanfare For The Common Man-StreetOrgan" is 38 characters long. I do have some songs in my "to do" list that will push beyond even that 40 character limit. Now, of course, you don't have to have the sheet music for the instrument for which the ABC file is intended in the ABC file name (and the sheet music title), but it does make things easier.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    ioSelect, Wilfred and Eveara like this.
  4. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

Actually, I do – kinda – have to. ;)

I modify the pitch depending on the instrument. Some scores need to be played lower on harp and higher on piano to sound good.

As a result, I need to label each and every one of my music sheets, so I know on which instrument it's meant to be played. Hence me asking for longer titles.

Told you it would be a boring explanation. :p

Wilfred likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Maybe not boring to those who also make sheet musics from their music files who have the same issues. I have containers of song sets for playing in groups. I call them songset 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. They each contain a library of song parts to choose from. Each bag has the same song choices with different parts for the songs. Being able to title them to be more understood is a great wish list if it is possible.

ioSelect, Eveara and Wilfred like this.
  6. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

I beg for forgiveness, sweet @majoria70 – I was genuinely convinced such an issue would be boring, because:
    – people who have to deal with it already know the 'why', so they don't need to hear it from me;
    – people who don't know about it probably don't make music sheets and wouldn't care about the 'why'.

Hug?

7. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

Sorry to insist, but that 32 characters limit is becoming a real pain in the neck.

This morning, I finished cleaning the code for this, adapted for lute:

About to publish the music sheet, I realize there's a song by the same name (by Sia). 'No big deal', I thought, 'I'm just gonna add (Jim's theme) at the end to avoid any confusion'.

Nope, can't do.
    [Lute] I'm Still Here (Jim's theme) => I'm three characters short.

Switching to the next sheet on my list. Which is this one:

Mapping the instruments, I realize it sounds really good when played solo on Large Harp. About to publish the music sheet...

Nope, can't do.
    [Large Harp] The Voice In My Heart => I'm two characters short.

Please, please, please, could you increase that character limit? From what some players told me, having to delete spaces or rely on abbreviations only achieves confusing people.

Please, @Sannio, @DavidDC, @Winston - I have no idea who's in charge of this so I'm begging all of you guys.

Wilfred and that_shawn_guy like this.
  8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Ill take a look

Wilfred, majoria70 and Eveara like this.
  9. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

Much obliged, a thousand blessings on your household!

10. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Increased it to 64, it will be in next release.

11. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

You just made me very, very, very, very, very, (...), happy!

Thank you SO much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.