Music should be a leveled skill

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Rafael, Jul 4, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rafael

Rafael Avatar

Players should be rewarded for investing time in creating and playing music by gaining skill in a musicianship. I love this feature of the game, but I think it's too cheap in that anyone can play anything whenever they want. A player should be able to become a better musician through practice, which would unlock better instruments, maybe more complex songs and chords, and buffs from playing music. Perhaps a high skill can also bestow a title such as "bard."

2. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I love that idea. It would be great if you messed up some notes at early levels and if complexity were assigned to music sheets so that you could only play certain ones at higher levels, maybe even awarding a buff to the team (or a chance to debuff if you're really, really low level ;)). Not sure how this could be implemented, though.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

There had been thoughts of having bard skills in-game at some point by the devs, but its not on the schedual yet afaik. Only have expressed an intrest in doing it

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

To learn an instruments, you have to do a quest to get a basic sheet of notes of the instrument as a reward. You also have to craft your instrument or buy one or maybe have a sencond quest to get one as a reward.
    Before you can play any sheet of notes you need to do the quest and "learn" that sort of instrument.

What i also can suggest is a sort of mini game or faction game to join the Artists of New Britannia an get rewarded with titles, cloth and instruments, maybe ornate versions.

Alleine Dragonfyre and majoria70 like this.
  5. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

Absolutely. Love the idea of having non-combat oriented skills that could be applicable in non-combat situations.

Learning songs that could improve your crafting skills (whistle while you work)
    Or that improve or remove your opponents focus regen (distracting songs versus uplifting songs)

There are currently artifacts that let you play them for buffs, but I like the idea of transitioning this to a player's skills somewhat--or you'd need to be sufficiently good at playing music to unlock the power of a musical artifact.

Alleine Dragonfyre and majoria70 like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes and I love right now that we can use the harp of invigoration to buff ourselves and players close by us. Now to take music in this game to another level with the addition of a music skill and quests around music as mentioned.

7. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Plus 1k to this idea. I welcome a Musicianship skill w/ various dependent skills alongside it that mirror what we have in UO. Discord, Provocation... even skills that mirror the bard masteries of UO would be great.

It is a bit sad that the team is so small and there is a lot to do and put into place at the moment; perhaps when the already existing skills are expanded and balanced properly, when we have dozens of vast zones (as opposed to the mostly small ones we have now), when the stories and quests are realized and made compelling, when PVP gets a viable and competitive framework to exist in... perhaps then bards will get a good looking to. Much as I long to play a bard, I don't think the team should touch this until the above is worked out.

A thought to implementation: the bard skills themselves could provide a base chance for their effects. The artifacts we already have could stack w/ that, though I feel it would be best that the artifacts require a Musicianship skill in the future (they do not currently).

8. Armitage_

Armitage_ Avatar

I love this idea, I think it would be great if musicianship was a separate set of skills. Also, it would be great to integrate the existing artifacts into this system, as recommended above. Love it!

fonsvitae and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

SO MUCH agree! :)

I believe Music should be a leveled skill and provide substantial buffs for other Avatars that last several hours. This would make an RP dream for those of us that love to entertain and socialize. Imagine how busy Inns would be if people came to listen to music and become stronger for it! I believe Dance should be treated the same way.

majoria70 likes this.
  10. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

Post this in Wishlist, it's a good idea. It'll just get lost posted here though.

11. Alleine Dragonfyre

I'll do it right now :)

Stundorn likes this.
  12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.