My experience so far has not been good

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Raven Lockehart, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I agree, but its also often nice to not know too much and just play along - i always liked games like this much more, figuring out things etc...
    But in SotA you will stuck early i guess and maybe you have not understand things well and become later aware of how this or that is implemented and intended. Its a two edged sword imho and difficult to balance to be not handholding, but otherwise also not to complicated and frustrating.

sometimes i think experienced players are "implemeneted" and suggested and intended to be "the help" someone needs.
    Think of Hospitaller, think of player written books etc., this can have a different quality - some will show you how to do this or that the best, others maybe just push you in the right direction, some will help you be level 80 in less than a month, others prefer to figure it out more slowly and dint care that much for progress, but immersive play of the game.
    I am not that pro gamer type or very good at all, but i was able to figure a lot out by myself and had fun with this. Especially getting behind and playing with the deck system was a lot of fun and experience i made. I still create different decks from time to time, situative decks, to figure out if my idea is crap or works well and better than before in this scene. I weren't glad to have someone teach me 5-5-18 decks from the very beginning or spoiler me how to do this or that, but of course players help was often neccessary to get further in game and some information from players or the forum was indispensable.

2. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

I agree with this strongly. In general it is good that this is not a hand holding game but the basics of game mechanics really need to be more obvious for new starters otherwise there will be alot of frustrated quit posts and a game potentially limping along rather than fulfilling its true potential...

Rennik and Stundorn like this.
  3. Katu

Katu Avatar

This kind of stuff will be issue with steam buyers. Steam refund policy allows you to refund a game, without any explanation, if you have played under two hours. Even after that, its still possible with good reason, like "The game was designed to give good two hours gaming, then it fall apart with bugs and just leaving player alone in the world".

UI stuff was the first thing that my friends mentioned at LAN event. Not going any further, but none of them bought the game.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  4. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

torch be too bright

5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Note that a torch cannot be used during combat if you're using a two-handed weapon (like a bow, as the game recommends). I am pretty sure that the light spell was on the standard toolbar last time I started a new character however.

6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is easy to agree with in principle, but in practice... What I hope wont happen is a least common denominator game that is boring and not challenging. People complain about literally everything, and when something changes, others complain about that. Listen to us, it's too dark, no its not... Like children we are. I am 50% sure this poster is troll just baiting us. People are going to eventually have to accept SOTA for what it is, the good and the bad. Then decide to stay or go, because if they decide to accept it, they now can have fun without the burden of hate.

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

You really need to stop referencing anyone who doesnt like the game as a troll.

They literally took the time for a game they spent less then 2 h on, to log into forums and make a quick statement.
    The other 99% of people who tried snd left, didnt do this.

* the burden of hate?*
    All the rl buddied i got to try this game got riiiight around that 2h mark beforr never looking at it agian. Their feedback is a lot less *productive * as this.
    Or do i rake that off as trolls too?

8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

It does tho
    I have learned most my self in-game with the exception of a few short questions in nobility chat. It is however a veeery steep learning curve and I'm still learning 3 years in... or something like that

edit: As for light I'm starting to assume many sit on older crappier monitors, my brightness is set at 30%~ in game and 50% bright/gamma in windows
    it's nowhere near dark during day time in game

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

about the night and day cycle.... Night time you should be forced to walk around with a torch or a light spell. IMO night time isnt dark enough... I can see perfectly fine with no light spell at all.

This is a picture mortal online night time.... and this is after they changed it to be brighter... before you couldn't even see your own feet without using a torch. Dungeons you literally have to use campfires or hold a torch in one hand or your screen is literally black, nothing visable on the screen (that's how dungeons inside caves should be).... If your talking about realistic moonlight, try walking outside when its nighttime with no lights tell me how far you can see and how detailed it is. Moonlight emits a glow around the outlines of objects just enough to make out what it is.

[​IMG]

10. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Darkness seems to be very dependent on the map, computer and drivers. While I generally don't have too many issues some maps on my computer (retina imac, so not exactly crappy display) are bright during night, while others are very dark and light is only illuminating the direct surroundings. If you don't run into these issues consider yourself lucky, some other players seem to be less lucky.

11. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

not really a monitor aimed at gaming either if I'm not mistaken (never tried one tho im kinda guesstimating)
    my AOC 144hz is great for games but utterly horrible to watch movies and the likes on but yeah im sure there are many more factors to it. My point was more it's not the game, long time ago light was adjusted due to complaints on forum and the game became unplayable for me without sunglasses all settings at darkest which made other games I play waaaay to dark

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Perhaps the game needs to add a gamma configuration adjustment option like many horror games have to compensate for hardware differences. Would that be enough?

13. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Not all monitors, like TV's are made the same and display the same.. Some are actually darker than others, some do not have as crisp of a picture, etc.... By them making things darker it defiantly impacts those who do not have as bright of an display.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

exactly and vise versa

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

I mean, there is video card settings you can set profiles also. I would recommend not playing with direct sunlight in the room either creating glare. There is programs that adjust graphic settings also.
    [​IMG]

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  16. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Thank you but I am generally fine with the way the game runs :)

17. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Well if its a half moon to full moon with no cloud cover, it is bright enough that I can go night hiking in the mountains near me with no ambient light or head lamp. Gives me clear visibility out to about 500 ft but with little to no color distinction past about 50-75 feet. General shapes and motion are visible clearly out to about 750-1000 ft. 1/4 moon to no moon I agree its pretty dark and difficult to make out anything past 100-200 ft without light sources to assist. As for caves, I love spelunking and killing the lights and just feeling the darkness gather around... I know it isn't physical but there is still a feeling you only get in absolute darkness. So for caves I'd agree pitch black would feel right without a light, however even a small light source creates a great deal of ambient light that reflects quite a distance before becoming useless again once the eyes have adjusted. But that's only if you are talking realistic light sources and that's hard to do as everyone's eyes react different (color differences, some eyes are far more sensitive to bright light, some are more adapted to dark, etc.).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  18. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Welcome to SOTA! Where just about any negative post will automatically be interpreted as Trolling. So be prepared to open your wallet and keep your mouth shut unless its positive feedback or else these forums can be pretty unforgiving.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hmm.. a discussion about darkness again :D I think its good for the game because it enables a lot of good things like stealth play, surprises, danger, mood, atmosphere, roleplay, storytelling, etc. Mobs need to play by the same rules as players, though and most should not be able to see in the dark; those with night vision or other senses excluded. Though its still playable on my machine even without a Light spell... I can get around from place to place if I need to.

But as I recall, players start out not just with Light but torches... if the game needs to make new players aware of this, its an issue of its own.

Ravenclaw and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

I guess it all depends on where your located, if your near the city the moonlight is very dim. If you get out the country its near daylight, lmao. I guess what im getting at is the darkness creates immersive feel in the game. Making it too bright is like walking into a movie theatre with the lights on full blast :p and at the same time pitch black is gonna mkae you trip and fall. So putting the walkway lights makes it just perfect :) so ideally making it dark enough to see a little bit into front of you clearly and see objects around you is perfect then you add your own lighting to enhance that visablility, torch, spell. The other thing i think would be cool is more realistic moonlighting, parts of the world darker than others.

But one thing is for certain the dungeons and caves need to be much darker, this increases risk/immersion/hardness of accomplishing tasks. :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.