Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

My feed back via a video

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Dusty Macd, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

in shirt though I think visually it has come a long way, I like the music, always have, communicating is okay.. I just felt let down by the combat system....

Freeman likes this.
  2. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

what i clearly not like is that you can target someone with mage spells behind a bush

players need some hind of cover or take advantage of the map terrain when they are low on health

3. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

I did manage to dodge some fireballs, but I was also firing arrows while running....

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I watched your video...you really missed out on what the combat system was. I think when Release 9 is available you should try going back and investing 20 minutes into building a deck and experimenting. I think you'll find that it's a much better system than you realized.

5. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

Thanks, I will give it another try, but spending 20 mins figuring out the system to me is a very bad system... and that is fi you understand it. I am fortunate that i do get time to play games, however there are many who just want to nip on and play and maybe only get 30-60 mins during the weekend, why would they spend a large chunk of that setting themselves up to be able to compete...

Freeman likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Because the best and most challenging games are often the ones that require thinking beyond a few button presses on a mouse. I can certainly understand that some people just don't want to put thought into any game. But this is clearly not going to be one of those games, it's going to require a slight bit of mental power to play this.

Btw, my 10 year old was playing just fine once I walked him through the deck building process. He killed several people 1 on 1 that had done quite well in the PVP tournaments. So I don't think the game is by any means overly complex.

7. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

Its not about mental power.. its about time..

my main concerns regarding the system which I may not of conveyed well..

1: will take focus away form the action
    2: it is very disjointed with the rest of the game
    3: it is over complicated
    4: It feels like SOTA is trying to be too much to everyone.
    5: They have a lot of money, have had a lot of time and a decent sized team i feel they have used that to focus too much on the niceties and given us a sub par combat system

ByTor [MGT] and Freeman like this.
  8. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

One of the concerns is something RG said during the kickstarter about how people spend too long getting a character set up before they even know if they want to play the game or how they want their character to play.

The system will need some clean-up for initial setup. In deference to what I promised to do if RG got on board: My suggestion would be a default deck that auto fills with any skills you take until you want to go in and tweak it.

As for your 10 year old doing well in PvP... you don't think that's a red flag that perhaps PvP isn't as skill based as people are feeling like it is? In terms of PvP I would feel like the system worked better if the people that were good at it were consistently good at it. You know? Since I don't know the specifics, however, I can't comment on how to improve that.... but it is something that should be looked at.

Alexander likes this.
  9. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Mage spells require line of sight. So the mage cannot cast from behind a bush. They have to be partially uncovered.

10. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

It seems that nearly all the naysayers have NEVER tried the system.

Kaisa, Sir Cabirus and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more.

1. I think it actually improves focus on the action as if you don't focus you're probably not going to be successful.
    2. The combat system seems fully integrated with the game to me. The act of opening up a deck (if that's what you're talking about) could probably use some love though. I wouldn't mind seeing a Spell Book in my backpack for the spells and a Combat Instruction Manual for combat though. That would be cool!
    3. It's not over complicated, it's just new. In your 14 minute video there wasn't really a section where you used the system the way it was intended. Instead of running around auto attacking everything for the first 10 minutes that precious time could've been spent (as you correctly pointed out in the video) by reading something about what you were supposed to be doing. I know there are 5 minute videos available that explain the whole system. They're not difficult to find. But here's one from the Mad Hermit that explains everything in detail, it's shorter than your video. ;)
    4. It may feel like SOTA is trying to be all things to all people, but I think they're doing a very good job finding the middle ground so I'm not complaining.
    5. This is a first draft of a combat system that you admit you don't really understand. Please, watch the video above and then try Release 9, and at a minimum I think you'll be in a much better position to make statements about the combat system being "sub par". But right now I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Kaisa, Montaigne, Sir Cabirus and 2 others like this.
  12. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Glad you said nearly. I have. I know several others who have. It's exactly what we said it would be. It's just not for us.

13. Drocis the Devious

I think you can't have it both ways. If I say my 10 year did well, you'll say the system is too easy. If I say that I my 10 year old did poorly you'll say it's too complicated.

I think in the case of my 10 year, it probably means that the system is not too complicated because once I showed him how it worked he was able to pick it up very quickly. I think it also means that my 10 year old is good at PVP. He was spawn camping people for hours.

14. Drocis the Devious

I'm confident that a year from now this will not be an issue. You'll see the vast majority of people loving this system, and occasionally you'll see someone on another forum saying "I never got into that game because of the stupid deck system". To which the internet will reply, "Who cares? That system is fun!"

I'm actually more curious how long it's going to take someone else to copy this system. I'll bet we see another game designer using a copy of the deck system within 1 year.

15. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Well theres always some poeple who have a problem with anything. There are still some people who like Obama. That doesn't say much for your argument. (FOR THOSE WHO ARE OFFENDED AT THIS STATEMENT, I AM SLIGHTLY JOKING HERE, DON'T GO ALL GEORGE CLOONEY ON ME)

Truth of the matter is the vast majority not only likes it but thinks it is really fun. They said if the system is fun, they aren't going to scrap it. So have your opinion, but when people make videos like this ... it reminds me of pseudo scientific nonsense that is meant as a propaganda film.

This guy didn't even use the system. So that makes me think either A. He doesn't get it yet, or B. He just wants to persuade people to hate the game.

Khloec, Kaisa and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

I love Obama. I also never played WoW...so I'm either 100% right or half right, you decide. :)

17. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

I don't fault you for loving Obama, God loves Obama too. So you're in good company I guess.

18. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

There's so much wrong here, it's hard to know where to start, but honestly, by injecting politics into it and derailing it from the topic at hand, you really lost any credibility you had with me.

But, in an effort to clarify some things for you... there are other options to consider:

C - most people play games by sitting down and playing them. People expect the game to be the manual and guide them into playing it. The days of reading the book are (sadly) over. It doesn't mean it should hold your hand the whole way or have an unskipable demo, but there will need to be some sort of "Now that' you've picked a skill, would you like it in your deck?" interface to guide people through the process of playing. The quest should involve work, the interface should not.

Disagree. I think there's room between "My son who needed to be shown how the system worked was quickly fighting some of the top fighters and winning" is different from "my son held his own, and understood what was going on, but there was still a definite difference shown in player skill." What this is flagging for me is the thing that I ran into when I was playing. I had to look at my toolbar to see what was up, but I really didn't have to put a lot of thought into what I was clicking. Definitely not more than what was up before. But instead of watching to see when a cool down expired, I just looked to see what was available. It really didn't feel much different from other games just felt limiting in that I knew I couldn't pick a bunch of skills and hand pick what I wanted to do based on my own strategy.

Because of that, it felt more like I was pedaling to move the game forward, rather than playing a game. Maybe more mana drain would change that, or combos... or something else... but right now... not seeing the draw (pun intended.)

ByTor [MGT] likes this.
  19. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Credibility. LOL.

I am unfortunately I'm going to have to add you to my block list. I'm letting you know respectfully so that you don't feel like you have to keep arguing with me.

20. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

I won't quote everyone, What I will say is i did finally have a chance to try the deck system. and yes i could of watched the videos but I don't feel it should be a must. something should be easy enough to work out and this system is not.

The reason I spent so long attacking the way I did was because I had no clue about the card/skill system at all.

I will give it another try.. But the idea of a card system really doesn't fill me with excitement and that is where the problem lies...

ByTor [MGT] and Freeman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.