Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

My feed back via a video

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Dusty Macd, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro

Retro Avatar

Brings religion and politics into the conversation, why o_O? adds nothing and invalidates your credibility instantly... (even though you made some good points...)

foobard and Freeman like this.
  2. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

I did watch your video; the game is in alpha remember so there's no tutorial or supporting documentation because we, the players, are here to work systems out alongside the Dev teams. Do we think the "deck" system works? Well during your video, as you admit, you never even see the card system... towards the end you're trying to drag and drop icons onto the game screen as if it were a desktop, which indicates you don't understand even the basics. And that's good feedback for the need for a Tutorial in game at some point. I'd argue the same for crafting, the complexity of the game is far too high to expect even hardcore old-school style Ultima players to understand it from scratch.

Likewise when you ask for where the armour is; I wish the community would listen to chat more and answer each other's questions in it. I've popped in briefly to every release bar 6 I think so far, and I've yet to get any feedback in game when I've been seeking something. I still don't know where the Throne of Bone is, for instance. When Moo the Cow went missing, no one answered why or where she might be. In this release, I wanted to test if fishing poles could be used as combat weapons, but no one answered, when I asked in every zone, if there was one in game this time. The forums then seem to be essential in understanding in early-alpha.

If you read them though, you'd see you're seriously off on comparing it to Magic The Gathering when it does work; you mention "random powers", and it's basically a normal MMO skill slot but each power randomly appears in the key slots yes; unless you spend skill points in a certain way to fix them in place. Whether that's a good idea or not? That's why the game needs you guys to read, experiment, not assume... and feedback.

I didn't have much time to practice either crafting or combat; the time I did have I spent looking for bugs, thinking about the art and housing, and talking to Moo the Cow. But the benefit of these releases is not that content is just given to you, it's that you get to shape how it develops.

Ned888, Khloec, rune_74 and 3 others like this.
  3. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

I don't know what you are talking about when you say this word credibility. Sounds like you guys have been brain washed to think this. Why not rather take the good from what I said and spit out the sticks?

People don't have to agree with a person on every point. If something says Ahh haa! Go with that and ignore the stuff you don't like. This whole idea that somebody has to be credible to make a valid point is just a bunch of hogwash. If something is a valid point, then you can take hold of it and repeat the valid point. We have become a very judgmental and unaccepting society, in the name of acceptance and political correctness.

FYI -- I blocked the other guy because I don't like a single post of his.

4. Retro

Retro Avatar

Not trying to start a fight or derail the thread (or get blocked;)), just saying I thought you made some Great Points, then sadly ruined them by throwing in the Obama jab, just seemed really out of place...but I get it you said you were joking...sort of:)

"(FOR THOSE WHO ARE OFFENDED AT THIS STATEMENT, I AM SLIGHTLY JOKING HERE, DON'T GO ALL GEORGE CLOONEY ON ME)" now this was funny...:)

For the record Devs do it also, I thought Stephen's Pen of the Avatar Obama Soap box rant was completely out of line and I'm a Canadian:) (guess it doesn't matter then :p right?)

Also, I completely understand blocking Freeman (sorry buddy) I truly believe you want the best for this game but your posts come off as so negative and "my way or the highway" which is not constructive imho. :( (but I do like some of your combat ideas, I find them VERY constructive)

Vendetta Beretta likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It is unfortunate that the majority of posters think of a card game as Magic only...this systen isn't even based off that concept. It's based off of deck builders like Dominion and Thunderstone. Oh well.

Also, as others have said...there is no tutorial yet, so of course it will be difficult for some. That of course will change in time.

I really hate the use of "us" and "We" when people make arguements to somehow give a bigger claim to their current outrage.

Gaelis, Retro, Kaisa and 1 other person like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL yes you should watch the videos. It would totally make your video more watchable. It was hard for me to watch, it just looked like you didn't know what you were doing. The mad hermits video is easy to watch, well he has a couple, none of them not one bit boring. A part of me didn't want to take the time to watch it, but then I told myself to get over it and dig in. It was painless. There is still so much more we can all contribute by knowing the system, then when we speak people do hear what we are talking about with respect, not with I can tell they don't know what they are talking about, it just sounds contrived or like they don't have all facts, or haven't played with it. I do apologize if my tone is missed, I admire you for taking the step to do the video, but it missed the mark on this subject for me. ****cheers****

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

This isn't a game yet. It's a system test, and testers should make an effort to be prepared. Chris released a video that explained things reasonably well, I thought. Did you watch it?

8. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'm happy for those of you who are enjoying card combat. It looks like it is here to stay in one form or the other.

I'd just like to give my respects to some of the people who fought against it.. especially Freeman. We wanted something that was more consistent with the game. More immersive. More Ultima like. Freeman spent countless hours debating the devs and even came up with a very original yet immersive combat system himself. Alas, it appears it was not meant to be.

I'm sincerely hoping that card combat turns out to be the right decision for the success of SotA.. and not just a house of cards.

Retro and Vendetta Beretta like this.
  9. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Don't worry buddy. It will work out, and you'll probably end up liking it eventually. You really cannot bring up Ultima style combat in this generation. Highlighting a little square and clicking on the monster in a turn based system was acceptbable then, but probably would leave us feeling a little bit disapointed these days.

So really combat needed an overhaul from old school ultima. Even Ultima Online was just simple auto attack. I'm not going to discuss ultima 9. I don't remember that combat system, and it was a nice feeling of completion for the series, but it didn't have the same feeling that Ultima 4-7 had. We need something new. This system is new, and it is fun for many people. this is not a disaster by a long shot.

Lord Baldrith, Kaisa, Gaelis and 3 others like this.
  10. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

You are right I didn't know what i was doing.. I just find it hard to do something I have no interest in and that is what this style of combat has done.. caused me to have no interest in combat for SOTA. I hope that the crafting System turns out good because that will be my main source of playing for this game based on that combat system..

When i try it again though I might enjoy a little more however as I said that style holds little interest for me...

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL Dusty Macd, maybe you would have an interest if you knew what you were doing. Anyone would be happy to advise you also, but that is up to you if you would like that.;)

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Doh ! Just got played by Majoria !

Retro and Vendetta Beretta like this.
  13. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

That might be the case, but I have no interest in football so I am not going to go out my way to learn how to play that...

I recognise there will be many people who do like it.. equally there are those that do not..

I am one of those, I dislike the idea of the combat system I do not feel it is ( in my opinion) in keeping with this style of game and it removes you from what is happening in the wider picture.

14. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I completely agree with this comment, and a perfect example of it was your of handed political remark. Extremely judge mental and unaccepting. Let's try to refrain from inserting such stuff even in jest on a gaming forum.

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well you're not alone in that. Some of the loudest against it now love it the most. For me one thing I so couldn't bring myself to do was to play the game rift but finally I said to myself hey you can never have a discussion about that game until you've tried it out. So I did and it wasn't that bad. I have that knowledge now no matter what. Anyway I hope you'll find lots to love in sota. **cheers**

Lord Baldrith and Kaisa like this.
  16. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Are you talking about football or real football? :p

17. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

I meant the football played in the UK/EU however the comment stands for both :p

Vendetta Beretta likes this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Seems a bit extreme....at worst I think people would just not like it and lock their skills.

Kaisa likes this.
  19. Owain

Owain Avatar

You had no clue because you didn't watch the video. Chris made the video because he said he knew some people would be to lazy to read instructions. We now know that some people are too lazy to watch a video,either.

On release, I'm sure there will be a shiny interactive tutorial available, but for pre alpha, I don't want the devs wasting their time on that, particularly since things are changing so quickly. Make use of the resources that are available to you.

20. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

Aside form the fact that you are calling people who have limited time to play lazy because they want to play a game and not spend time reading about or watching other play.. I did give it albeit a short try and I WILL give it a further try at the next Release assuming it is included.. That being said.. I still do not believe in my humble opinion that this is the right direction to go in for combat...

ByTor [MGT] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.