Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

My Feedback and Observations

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Retro, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro

Retro Avatar

Hi Guys,

Just some R22 feedback and observations:

1.) Performance (for me) seems REALLY down this release, some scenes are really slow (poor frame rate) and they seem laggy also.

2.) Stability also seems a little off this release also, I've had several crashes this release, most seem video related. (drivers have been updated, AMD)

3.) Use based skill system, I like it, but it really highlights the need to change \ get rid of skill trees even more now. Before buying a skill and never using it, is one thing (to get to a skill that you do want), But now actually having to USE skills that you don't want thousands of times (to get to a skill that you do want) is brutal, and forces an "artificial" play style. Make the requirements for gaining skills based on something other than position in a skill tree. PLEASE! we are so close....

*Note: I have so much respect for you guys implementing the skill usage based system, even if you don't keep it, I love the fact that you guys are still testing out systems and taking your time with the design. There is no rush...;)

4.) The game still feels like its missing thousands of skills. Basically magic that isn't used during combat, like travel spells, Information spells, role playing etc...

5.) Mixed feeling: I love and hate that you got rid of character levels and skill points. How is it possible to determine a "fair" PVP fight now? on the other hand I love the simplification.

6.) Is there a way to tell POT from Game own towns just buy looking at the map? (hint: there should be)
    Especially during the real "Land rush", better yet I should be able to toggle "views" on the overworld map, like turn off POT's or highlight POT's blue etc.

7.) Combat needs a "Square Up" button so that regardless of where the camera is pointing your character will face the direction of the person or creature they are attacking. Half of the time is seems like you are missing because you are not facing you opponent properly...frustrating.

8.) Mage damage is brutal...and the add on effects feel useless (slow...)

9.) Is it supposed to be SOOOO much easier to play a heavy armor warrior vs. a dex monkey or mage? because it is.

10.) Chasing down fast PVE mobs is annoying.

Other than that I still can't believe how much you guys get done per release..great work guys.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. Godfrey

Godfrey Avatar

Don't even go there with this one. I've been beaten up by POT owners about it more time than I can count. God forbid we should have options.

wagram and Retro like this.
  3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

For 1), try to turn off Shadows (set them to "None") in the Video settings. It helped me a lot.

For the rest, great feedback. Agree with most, disagree with other. But constructive and spot on. Thank you!

Atogrim, FrostII and Retro like this.
  4. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Well, I imagine the POT issue is a matter of immersion/cohesive experience and not wanting them to feel like "fake" towns or somehow lesser than the NPC ones.

I think the ability to highlight the town and see the "governed by" note under its name in the overland would be enough to satisfy this issue without making the POT owners feel cheapened.

Retro, Spoon, firegold and 1 other person like this.
  5. firegold

firegold Avatar

This is a really good idea

Retro likes this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes please.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-or-description-for-scene-npct-prt-pot.19863/

firegold and Retro like this.
  7. Retro

Retro Avatar

I'll go there, 98% of the POT's I've visited were boring ghost towns, and when it comes time for the "Land Rush" I don't want to waste my time at any of these crappy little POT's.

I agree with you and I like your solution, but I'm so tired of the word "Immersion" because it means so many different things to different people, I saw a POT called "Little Italy" this completely kills my "Immersion" and I wish I didn't have to even see it on the map...

Seriously "Little Italy" :( Even something like "Nuovo Italia" would have been ALOT cooler

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    tesyra and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  8. Retro

Retro Avatar

I tried this, still crazy slow... Pre-release R22, "Fantastic" 3440x1440 (windowed) Approx 35-40fps, this release "Beautiful" 3340x1440 (windowed) 6-15 fps w/shadows turned off

9. Retro

Retro Avatar

I have to take this one back, performance seems back to normal now. (35 -58fps @ 3440x1440, windowed, Fantastic, Max shadows)
    The only thing I did was toggle between borderless windowed mode and back again and now I can't recreate my poor performance problem, the strange thing is this performance problem has even persisted several reboots so I'm not sure whats up. Oh well it's working now.

Mata and Katrina Bekers like this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

From your screen resolution I'm guessing you're not using a laptop, but for anyone reading this who does have a laptop and is suffering performance problems, please be aware that some laptops sometimes switch from using their GPU to using the graphics components of their CPU, with a corresponding sudden drop in performance. This is well known, and easily corrected.

Here's a link for NVIDIA. The same thing can happen with AMD (sorry, a quick search didn't reveal a non-silly AMD related post).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Retro likes this.
  11. Retro

Retro Avatar

Just watched this...
    Shroud of the Avatar Combat/Skills chat!

it seems a few of my concerns have been addressed, glad were on the same page here ;)

Thanks!

12. Topher

Topher Avatar

Great positive feedback. It's always cool when someone offers possible (and reasonable) solutions with presented problems. I agree with just about everything you said. I also agree the team at SotA are doing a KICKASS job and I am truly thankful they are taking their time and getting this one right. I play a lot of different games but I already know I'll be involved with this game for years to come.

Good post!

Retro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.