My Friend's List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chrystoph Reis, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I will start by saying, since they took down the pass blockers (YAS!), I now have only people I play with on my friend's list.

People are getting butt-hurt by this. I'm sorry, not sorry.
    1. It was always a problem when I wanted to PVP. (Yall ain't right for siccing people on me)
    2. It was always a problem trying to form groups, that people on my list would not even respond to.

I rarely added anyone to my friend's list before, I really didn't need to teleport that badly, and now not at all.

So I write this because, I went to UT and ask a simple question, "What is the start time?" and got trolled. So I look at my friends' list and notice, the person who trolled me was on my friend's list still. Mind you I had NEVER had an exchange with this person AT ALL before I removed them. This person I had NEVER grouped outside of me joining UT pug.

Then it started... yak yak yak yak... Why did you remove me? , I was only.... yadda yadda yadda. Because buddy:

1. You trolled me... AND we are not friends. I suffer no fools.
    2. If you add me AND never talk or respond to me, why are you EVEN on my list?
    3. You don't need teleport buddies anymore... so get over it.

Just needed to be said.
    No reason to get butt-hurt because I removed you (and all the other people who I don't play with).
    My friend's list is just that now. Full of actual friends.

Thanks Port!

Crendel, Sentinel2, Retlaw and 8 others like this.
  2. Keldorn of the Vale

Keldorn of the Vale Avatar

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Chrystoph Reis What exactly do you mean by "trolled" when you asked for starting time?

Kara Brae likes this.
  4. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

The teleport to "friends" thing needs to be removed, it's a silly feature.

5. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

I am figuratively laughing out loud.

Pifester likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What makes it "silly", @CarlNZ ?

7. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Because if you have a friends list filled with people you never have spoken to and probably never will, it's not a friends list. It's a janky, make shift teleport journal with wandering markers. That's silly.

8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I'm with @Chrystoph Reis on this one.

When I first started playing, I found it odd and a little bit disturbing that people I hadn't even seen were sending me friend requests. I refused to friend anyone who didn't at least have the courtesy to say hello.

I later learned the utility of the friends list as it would take well over half an hour or even an hour going from Aerie to Owls Head. I had some adventures struggling through the passes and even met some people who waited outside the pass waiting for company help them on the way.

Nevertheless, I did and still do maintain that I won't friend someone with an odd name.

I've learned to live with the current system, and travelling is easier without the control points, but is always a bit uncomfortable to explain to new players that principal social mechanism is largely parasitic and ungenuine by design.

Innascual Inch likes this.
  9. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I've made a suggestion to add a text field to the Friend Request so people can list why they are requesting.

10. Joeziggy

Joeziggy Avatar

To each his own. I am LAZY and like to TP

Cordelayne likes this.
  11. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I know Ziege… I know... :p

Joeziggy likes this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

On this point, I would tend to agree.
    For many people, it is not a "friends" list, but rather a collection of (as you put it) "wandering markers".
    I agree that to call it a "friends" list, given it's universal usage as a teleport mechanism - IS silly. But only in the name.

However, you prefaced that with:
    I contend that removing the ability to teleport would satisfy a few vocal proponents in the "walk everywhere" crowd, but it would also be another nail in the coffin of an ever shrinking SotA base - because the majority of players both use and enjoy the ability to bypass the "walking across the world concept" as equally boring and non-immersive .

Cordelayne and Brass Knuckles like this.
  13. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

They can absolutely add in some other fast travel mechanism, but they should remove the fake friends list method. By all means replace it with something not silly. Mark and recall, way stones you unlock after visiting for the first time that you can port to, Warcraft warlock style summoning spells that mean your friends need to actively do something to bring you to them..... Lots of ways to do it that aren't daft.

14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I actually did the same thing a long while ago. Removed anyone who had not talked to me in months. I got the same response from people. Which is weird... we hadn't talked in months lol

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I agree..... as long as they replace it with something equally as effective.
    Mark/recall would be great ! Let us just get to where we want to go asap, we ain't got all day and night......

Cordelayne, Xee and Cleome Arachnid like this.
  16. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

This!

17. smack

smack Avatar

They could just as easily change Teleport so that you can teleport to anyone online regardless if they're on your Friends List, without having to implement any new system -- though I do think some form of mark/recall would be great. That would probably be a trivial solution and mitigate the misuse of Friends Lists.

FrostII likes this.
  18. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I liked the idea purposed in the Twitch where you could create bind points at your houses as well at the skull totem outside of the instances. then they can do away with the friend teleport. You can't teleport into dungeons anywhere so why would we need them after this change :)

I do like my rather many pages of friends so I can see how many people are online to poke fun at the other forums that think that the steam numbers are all the people on the server. Sad lot those haters :)

FrostII and Jaesun like this.
  19. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

I don’t use steam

Elwyn likes this.
  20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I like the part where it sounds like they're going to make you pay for more than a minimum number of teleport slots. I presume you'll be able to reuse these slots, instead of cluttering up your list with a bunch of places you never go anymore. But I also think that teleport-to-party is a good thing, even if it gets people to party up just for a teleport, since that requires interaction, rather than a """friends""" list full of unknowing teleport mules.
    I reject a lot of FL requests (no previous interaction = quick X), and when the game is "busy", I usually see 50-60 people in my FL. There's no way that's more than 10% of the online population. But only Lord British knows for sure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.