Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

My Impressions so far (since last time)

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Since I haven't been able to play much for past couple of releases I'm not 100% sure what all is new so.. since last time.. (whenever that was)..

First thing that's come to mind is the change to recipes.

For awhile now I've been a bit annoyed at all recipes being discoverable. Had I thought about it more I may have written a scathing (or not so much) post on how ridiculous it is.. I mean nobody tries to make a table and accidentally makes cabinet.. it just doesn't happen.

So removing higher tier recipes from being discoverable is, I think a step in the right direction but it does make me wonder how these recipes can be found in the world. It seems odd to buy recipes for items from merchants who would normally want to sell you the item themselves. Rather I would expect to learn recipes from a specialized trainer.. Not everyone is going to know how to make dragon stew.. you would expect to have to find a master cook.. much in the same way you have to learn emotes from NPCs.. In fact, I may think about this a little more and do a write up on the subject..

Roving encounters.. for a first iteration.. love 'em! SO much better than the random encounters we had before.. these make the overworld a bit more interesting and alive even in single player.

Speaking over the overworld.. the mist/fog is pretty cool.. and I finally took a good look at the water.. good job!

Very happy food is in.. and looking forward to more and more craftable content.

Not sure I can comment on combat or magic changes as I'm honestly not noticing anything different.. perhaps because I don't PvP or play as much as I like. I spent the first couple months since persistence not being to really play.

I have finally managed to level up a bit and do some crafting.. and as a soloist (for the most part and largely due to my bandwidth limits).. the overall balance feels.. more or less ok. I would prefer to not have recipes like 20 trees makes 1 bowstave.. but that kind of nonsense aside I'm not sure how I would do it differently to achieve the same balance in time it takes to craft. Perhaps I'll dwell on that as well.. whatever my solution I'm sure it would be too expensive to implement.

I took me several hours or solid mining (but not more than a full day) to get enough ore to make 1 suit of epic plate.

So far I'm able to earn enough money to keep going and gradually get ahead a little bit at a time.. even with my restricted hours. At this stage I'm unsure if I should be concerned about that. I'd like to see the NPC prices come way down and then switched to a multi-tier currency as has been mentioned several times but how much tweaking would be necessary to rebalance the system? Well.. hate to say but not my problem. ;)

I know this may come as a shock to some but I still haven't taken a good look at the sky since the fixes went in. I did notice the lack of a moondial though. I assume we get those back at some point.

All in all I suppose I don't have any major negatives.. game is coming together pretty well..

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

.. only a day of mining to make a suit of armor?? but what about all those people who swear it takes 3 weeks! and that their gear would surely be broken by the time they could even come close to replacing it!! lies! must be lies!!

Yea. used 15 durability on bow min not max, had enough wood to make 3 more bows. weird.. almost like people exaggerated a ton just to cry.

I agree lots good steps in right direction. was very happy with changes.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There are any number of ways to explain '3 weeks'.. ie they're only playing a couple hours a day.. they have 0 strength.. overload and they're mining in the one mine that's farthest away from their home, time dilation phenomenon etc.. :)

While I do spend time on different characters.. durability loss right now is slow enough that I haven't started repair armor yet and I'm just not feeling the pressure to replace it. At the rate I'm going it'll be a couple more months (and a few repairs) before I'll feel the need to replace anything. I'll probably want to before that though as I'm still leveling up and I'm using pretty basic gear. :)

4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I would like to comment, that some things have been invented by accident, while trying to make something else. The slinky is one example. Artificial sweeteners is another. I believe they were trying to create an insecticide, and when it didn't work, realized it could be consumed by people in place of sugar, so they made money with it that way instead. The first synthetic dyes were also created by accident, while attempting to replicate in the lab, the bark that is used to cure malaria. When I was little, I tried to make a boat out of paper.. it didn't float, but it made a great hat. ;-D

Leelu, Keflara and MrBlight like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So you went around wearing a soaking wet piece of paper on your head? Somehow I don't think that should count. ;) and there aren't any science labs in Novia that I'm aware of.

6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

To make a suit of regular iron or even copper armor, yeah not a problem. But Meteoric Iron? Yeah, that will take more than a day. The base metal is not the holdup, it is the secondary bits. Of which, only a few will be exceptional. Then, all the gold and silver you need to get it masterworked or enchanted (plus even more pieces to replace what explodes here).

So "make a suit of armor" doesn't mean just any suit of armor. What others are talking about is making a replacement for their high-tier armor. Frankly, 3-weeks is probably a good goal to shoot for there.

7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Making a basic suite of armor is very simple and cost very little resources. Now taking that basic suite and going to the next level metal, takes twice as much. Now added exceptional only pieces that people want, 4 times as much. Now add in breaking pieces when attempting to enhance X times as much.

So,
    1 day for epic iron, sure
    2 days for epic meteoric, sure
    8 days for exceptional epic meteoric, maybe
    X days for enchanted, masterworked epic meteoric plate suite.

Also, how long in that one day, are we talking a few hours or more of just mining? That would drive me insane.

Fister Magee likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually I should clarify.. the suit I made was white iron.. though I did save a small amount of time buying tin but only because I wasn't high enough in level to go to a mine with a lot of copper. :) So pretty sure I could make a full suit of epic white iron or meteoric in a day.. as for the rest.. maybe 3 tops assuming not having to start over.

The bulk of that time being spent gathering materials of course.. and if I really wanted to get technical.. I didn't really spend the ENTIRE day.. much of my morning was taken up with other things.. so it was more like 6-8 hours tops including the time it took to make all the trips back and forth on foot. So I guess it depends on how people are defining a days worth of work..

You see that's where a lot of folks differ. I for one.. for some unexplainable reason.. do not mind a 10 hour mining session. :)

Fister Magee, Preachyr and Toadster like this.
  9. mass

mass Avatar

Penicillin! Moldy petri dishes.

Quite a few alchemy stations though.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Technically it takes me almost no time to make a set of armor. I log in, take an alt to an ore spawning spot and casually farm all day long while I then log in my main and go do any number of daily activities. After a few hours you yank your alt out and then just spend time on smelting and making the armor.

Most of the time Im farming exp so the time it takes to stand around to regen focus is me in my other window moving my alt to another node.

Its really that easy.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Most folks don't have multiple accounts and multiple computers to do that with.

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You dont need multiple computers.

I run 2 SOTA's oh my machine at one time. All you have to do is double click the SOTA executable on your computer and it will open up multiple SOTA windows. I lower my graphics to as low as they can go to give my video card a break. You could also run the steam window and 1 local install windows. I like doing this because Steam patchs the game in 5 minutes vs the launcher which takes 4 hours.

A second account is cheap.

13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I do love this.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  14. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

I have a tough time taking this approach seriously. You're joking, right?

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

... Work smarter... not harder....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.