My PvP Experience - Draw Your Own Conclusions

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bayard, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Greetings fellow avatars,

I'm posting this to share some of my PvP experiences and let you draw your own conclusions if flagging is right for you. I'm mainly PvE but flag PvP because I like a good fight from time to time and appreciate the XP bonus too. I haven't been in a tournament yet but want to some day.

Scene One - Mac Attack
    A few releases after persistence, I was in a party in Crag's Foothills when somebody said, "Oh Feces, it's Mac! RUN!" Not being that proficient in PvP yet, we avoided him like the plague until I made a wrong turn and came face to face with him. I remember a lot of lightning, not being able to move and then making my way to a rez shrine. Now that I knew where he was, I decided to fight instead of flight and quickly found him. I remember my sword whiffing at empty air a few times, lots of lightning again and a repeat visit to the rez shrine. Point proven that he could smoke me, the next time we met a few minutes later, I was ready to engage again but this time he watched me for a minute, greeted me and we had a short, but pleasant chat and then he moved on to other tasks.
    End result - I died twice, gained PvP knowledge, paid my ransom and had a pleasant exchange with my opponent.

Scene Two - I Finally Meet Vallo....and Die
    I was out soloing one of the Colossus scenes when I saw Vallo. It didn't take long for him to see me and engage. After a very short exchange, I made my way to the rez shrine and returned, ready to try again. But instead of melee, we ended up breaking out in conversation about the scene and some tactics.
    End result - I died, gained PvP knowledge, paid my ransom and had a pleasant exchange with my opponent.

Scene Three - I Got One
    I was soloing in another scene when I was jumped by a Mage and Archer while skinning a wolf. A good fight ensued where I killed the archer before succumbing to the mage's wizardry. No words were exchanged but they didn't have to be....we were all flagged and understood what that meant.
    End result - I killed one of them, I died, gained PvP knowledge, paid my ransom and went about my business.

Scene Four - Devilcult Drive-by
    I was about to have fun with a troll when Devilcult ran by. When he saw I was flagged, he flagged on the spot and smoked me. I ran to the rez shrine but he had already moved on. I laughed it off and will watch out for him next time. Was I mad at Devilcult? No. I was flagged, he did a drive-by and I was impressed that he was able to flag and kill me so dang fast!
    End result - I died, gained PvP knowledge (that anyone can insta-flag), paid my ransom and went about my business. Oh, and Devilcult and I often do business together in game via his merchant so clearly no hard feelings.

I have many more stories of folks jumping me when I'm fighting a mob and low on health; running away after killing me, telling me to leave the area or they would kill me (sometimes they can, often they can't) but I never thought anyone was a jerk even when they bragged or called me N00B names. I just move on and if they pursue, go somewhere else. There are plenty of places to go where you don't have to be around them.

Your experiences may vary greatly from mine but I hope to show that PvP experiences don't have to be bad.

Good hunting,
    JkB

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Those are the stories that make me remember Ultima Online and other oldschool games. We have grown older but are still the same people at heart.
    If Portalarium gives us more meaning to it and manages to give PVP a purpose, I can see people getting dragged into the game again.
    This doesn't mean PVE can't have the same, in fact I would love to see it have meaning and purpose too.

addrox, Mac2 and Bayard like this.
  3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Are we able to flag on the spot now? Or did this person attack you, which in turn flagged him? Curious.

Mac2 likes this.
  4. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

This was many releases ago and happened so fast I don't know if he flagged before, or it flagged him after, he attacked.

Mac2 likes this.
  5. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Gracias, anyway!

6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

hahaha! You encountered the only 3 people I know who actively PvP in the game right now!!! Mac, Vallo and Devil!

The Hendoman and Mac2 like this.
  7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

dunno sounds like jerk behavior to me

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I don't really actively pvp. I was leveling my bludgeon skills back then, and was new to flagging. I was really nervous and did not want to allow anyone to get the jump on me.

9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

You can't choose to flag on the spot, need to attack or buff someone who is flagged, advantage is still to the non flagged person for that reason though. I would prefer that to be changed.

10. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Those experiences do not sound bad at all, it would be good if those were the experiences that will exist when/if many, many, many thousands of additional players join the game.

I have strong doubts about that, but who knows? Maybe only cool, old school gamers will come out by the near hundreds of thousands and a PvP flagged player won't have to worry about being slaughtered while fighting a troll or something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.