My Suggestion -loot improvment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

People love to find cool things while hunting regular mobs, I feel sota misses the boat in this area the most. Yes there are artifact drops and yes every one has like 5 of each by now but I think I have a idea to add real value to the loot problem.

1st it would be nice to find items with a rng roll to say all realistic skills. Imagine finding a copper long word with a +2 to your thrust skill level. Or a bronze great axe with +4 skill level yo your ground and pound. Put all sword tactics sub and armor types into the rng so you might get a bronze sword with +4 taunt or bezerker stance (this would make these weapons useless for some and great for others). If your lucky you could end up with 2x one handers bronze with +4 each to thrust skill level.

Already tier 2 items rarely drop the new concept here is a 1d4 random skill roll.

2nd part we need colors when looking at cool loot. When looking in corpse drops finding a green titled copper weapon or a blue titled bronze would really up the cool factor on drops.

Anyways these are some thoughts ive had for a long time, and it does push the "crafting" more to master working and enchanting than just making.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    MechStomp, K1000, majoria70 and 8 others like this.
  2. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I would only like this change, if on salvage there's a chance to get that as a component for crafting. Same thing I suggested they do with artifacts, just with like 10% chance instead of 50/50.

Player Made Gear is supposed to be the best gear in the game.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea but mw and enchanting still counts as player made imop. And the big problem is booring loots if it wernt for auto roll in ut im not even sure id loot much anymore.

Also im not suggesting tier 3 stuff end up in the weapons other than say bronze copper supple etc. No imbued strings or stuff like that so there is value still to making.

4. Justice Owen

Justice Owen Avatar

If you think back to the EQ,UO,AC days, a lot of 'gear' was purely about mitigation, or armor class. Items with +stats didn't come until higher levels or if you were lucky or rich.
    My understanding so far is that they want something similar, and furthermore, most of that 'regular' equipment is from player crafting.

The few items we do find are either rare for a reason or quest related, which is fine.

Your idea about the quality of the items can still apply, though to crafted instead of the general gear we occasionally find.

Agreed about the colors, though after a while you learn what is what.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Good points also under my suggestion think about all the possible bad rolls, you could roll a longsword with a passive stance roll when your looking for thrust weapons. Its actually pretty rare to get a epic sword but every blue and green drop will have you scrambling to see what you might have proced. Then ull have to decide if another might find real value in it. A sword with a armor durability roll might appeal to a tank with expensive gear.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

If the npcs would pay, players would sell them things like that and they would go into the loot tables.

moko, Vaentorian and Brass Knuckles like this.
  7. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Guess it's preference.... For instance I despise doing UT for anything other than a quick EXP boost refill, so I can go do other stuff.

8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

My point was loots booring and I find my self not looking forward to looting regular t1-t5 mobs. The super rare arti drop doesnt even convince me. But if there might be a item someone might really like and have good value then my odds for wanting to check each corpse sky rockets.

You cant tell me the loot system is working, esp not with a straight face.

Witcheypoo and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  9. Justice Owen

Justice Owen Avatar

Itemization is important in MMOs and filling up bags with things is a bit tedious. Sometimes I play the old EQ emulator just to enjoy an MMO where drops (of any type) on corpses is significantly low. To not always worry about looting is liberating.
    I don't now if the loot system is 'working' or not, just seems like it's not meant to flood you with a bunch of stuff.

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Rusty spoons, dirty cutting boards, rusty swords, fragments apples nah thats exactly what it does now. What we are missing is interesting and enjoyable loots.

Rng adds a lot of possible excitment to loot drops and we already have a deep skill system that can support it.

Im not suggesting every mob drop one of theses more like 1 in 30 or so then rng kicks in.

Dhanas likes this.
  11. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Well considering I joined this game with the expectation that the best gear was not from loot drops, only materials. I got exactly what I read about before joining the game. I can with a straight face say yes the loot system is working. I use it for exactly what it was said to be. You cannot point out once me every complaining about drops in this forum, other than to let us get the components from the rares on salvage.

12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Im pretty sure t3-t? Items will always be better than 1 or 3 addiotional points in thrust. Mostt likey 3 points in thrust is 1 damage, a t3 handle is 10 str. My suggestion is more mid to low game or the specialty build gear. And master working and enchanting is still player crafted.

Imbued strings is 10% more crit and 10% more aimed shots, my loot suggestion does not compete with that.

13. amarious

amarious Avatar

This actually goes along with something I've been thinking up for the last couple of weeks...

Give everything Essence. Kill and skin a wolf, have a small chance to get wolf essence off of it. Collect 10 wolf essence to be able to enchant an item with + dex or something of the likes.

Salvage vile weapons, get vile essence.
    Salvage +10 earth ring, get earth essence.
    Salvage cuttlekin ring, get cuttlekin essence.

This would give collecting artifacts more substance and use while also empowering crafters to make awesome items.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think the bundles were a mistake. Put the artifacts/deeds/etc right in the loot drop.

It's nice to resell the bundles but takes away the dopamine goodness of getting an immediate awesome thing.

Not that any of us would know since we have to loot so fast we don't see what's in the window anyway. IF there were no bundles and you got a Deed, it should be BAM, big! In the middle of your screen! With Trumpets!

Elrond, Witcheypoo, amarious and 2 others like this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

And while I'm thinking about it, since I think it's more of a presentation issue, how about a

Running Total of Gold looted since being in this scene? A little pile of gold icon up in a corner that starts at Zero when you enter a scene, and keeps going up as you loot things.

Witcheypoo and amarious like this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Cool Idea why not?

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  17. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

This would be annoying as ****. No thanks.

18. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'd like to see every creature in the game drop a different rare item similar to the cowbell and creepy doll.

The animals could drop rare crafting components like teeth, claws etc. And the humanoids could drop weapons similar to mossy handles, or maybe something like @Brass Knuckles mentioned above.

Dhanas and Brass Knuckles like this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

My post really is to to find ways to make loot more exciting, and not nessarily more powerful. Bronze swords and copper swords currently drop in game and everyone just vendors them, thats a failed opportunity imop add interesting rng to them and things might get more exciting if not to that player then mabey it will get some vendor action.

With item leveling and tier 3 components I dont think these will compete with full player made items for high level players as @Chrystoph Reis fears.

Grey pine bow with imbued strings of precsion will hit miles harder than just getting a pine bow with supple strings +3 to aimed shot level(+3 aimed shot level in some cases is less than 1 full pt of damage 10% aimed shot damage can excede 80 pt hits not to mention more crit and dex). The hardcore crafters have nothing to fear about this proposal, however Id expect they would be interested in masterworking a wand +3 to banish.

The color scheme is just as interesting and should be looked at.

Adam Crow likes this.
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Really? You get that many deeds?

Witcheypoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.