My waning interest in SotA--A plea to Richard and Starr

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bugmaster77, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

When I go out to adventure in this game, gold is usually not in focus for me. I think about how much silver/wood/copper/suet/etc I have gathered over time, and how fat my pack is getting with resources. Once in a while I find those special bags and get a cool glowing spear thats worth a small fortune. Most of the time I gleefully head home well over encumbered with sandboxy crafting components.

In this respect, the loot is satisfactory. I am usually not dissatisfied with my haul. I do wish there were more quest-like or encounter-like things that resulted in craftable stuffs/resources (the cabalists were an o.k. start). So perhaps the quantity isnt what Im dying for, but more avenues and options to acquire my stockpiles.

I guess people need to be obsessed with gold so they can buy my furniture and potions though ;)

Elwyn and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  2. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

I do not see it ever getting there IN TIME TO BE COMPETITIVE with other games that are soon to be released.

Jeb, which games do you mean? always interested in something new.

Elwyn likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

we’re setting level and skill caps in sieges to 80 and 100.

Dhanas likes this.
  4. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I appreciate the perspective of the OP as we all have the ability to share our opinion on things that would make our experience in SotA better. What I find most interesting in posts from players of UO and the original Ultima's is how different our perspectives of those games are. I played UO for 12 years starting at the beginning and as many have suggested that was my best gaming experience ever. However, SotA is a much more richer experience then UO. UO was very simplistic in terms of combat. Deck building allows a lot of creativity, which never existed in UO. The only reason to group in UO was to survive the PKers. Until they added Champ Spawns, there was no meaningful group content. Once they broke into Fel and Tram, most people soloed high mob areas with a bard or a tamer. Loot was not much better then in SotA other then getting a very very very rare silver vanq weapon. Once artifacts were added it cause such a major imbalance to the game. Armor had no unique attributes. The crafting system was pretty dull in UO.

We all look back to UO with such fond memories but really other then the fact it was a new concepted of being a MMO and had a great community of players the game lacked so much polish and depth. SotA is not perfect but it has taken the good parts of UO and has expanded on them a bit. I continue to see SotA getting better and better sometimes just a bit slower then I would like but progress none the less.

5. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I know and I am not talking about telethon's rewards, I am talking for example about baby dragon, which at the moment is an aesthetic stuff because it has one of the worse loot table around there ( i got 2 serpent scale from it) and it is not tamable, it has also the model of a normal dragon reduced, do we realy needed baby dragons before to focus on improve loots and mechanics of other bosses?

Same about the new pronged weapon we have this release, which yeah looks cool combined with a fish mask but in the sake of combat balancing it shouldn't be added as a weapon, but just as a pattern. Polearm tree is the most complete and functional weapon tree for both PVE and PVE, while other trees still need love and are subpar compared to this, so we realy needed a new polearm weapon type and balance again stuffs cause a new weapon with a new effect change everything, or was it better to focus on balancing other weapons?

Other than those 2 things there are infite examples I can do, but hope I explained good what I mean.

6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

What if the rare drops had exponentially greater chance on select creatures based on the number of people in the party

Astirian likes this.
  7. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

My perspective is this, I do think the loot has come a long way from what it was as posted above by another player. They are always adding new loot into the tables as well loot that us Crafters sell off to the vendors. I do agree though with some of what the OP stated. my thoughts were to add a 3-4 tier loot like most games. A common, Rare, Extremely rare and legendary type to the bosses. However to keep balance with the crafting / player markets make some of these things items the augment weapons, and perhaps even more deco ideas. Always wanted a baby dragon foot table :) 4 feet, some dragon skin vola.

Over all UT i did spend alot of time there for a month, but to be honest I stopped going because its rather bland and is only about power leveling skills. I found that I could get the same XP and Attun with a small group in places like Ruined keep, or some of the other tier 10+ and have much better loot.

Killing dragons as OP mentioned, I do farm them with a friend or two. Yes the rare dragon heads are a pain but it serves for not only a deco but also a really good helm. From a mage perspective I agree there are many bosses I would not really hunt because it does nothing for me. There are however rings and other artifacts that drop that are beneficial, and or at least worth coin which is the point behind the economy. Best gear is player made after all. A dragon head could land you 100k+ easy.

You mention the Queen, myself I have not defeated her, but she not only drops the sash, she also drops parts to make a staff (which one day I hope they still make them useful to mages) as well the parts to make the Xen Penetrator bow. So there are things for melee, mages, and ranged. I think having more loot on each boss to support as you mentioned each type of class would be awesome. Or what about opening up more options like new dragon leather straps or leather all together etc.

There is also potions. various potions need parts from hard creatures, as well with the player dungeons comes new meaning for people to farm and kill creatures to expand the hardness level and abilities of their own dungeons.

I think given how far things have come that things will continue to develop further and as Devs read these forums they often take what we say and think about these things. I can tell you in my last 4 years almost every idea I have though up and talked about with many others has slowly made its way into the game where it makes sense. This is because the devs do value the feed back and are always looking for ways and ideas to meet what the players really want. I think it will get to where we want it, but we may not get it all at once. The road map they have already made and based on every patch they follow it as well add the little extras when they can.

For better adventure OP outside of UT perhaps you should look out side of your circle of friends and guild members. I do think though that not many put up groups to do other activities which is part of the problem. myself I have only seen fishing and UT groups listed. Instead like myself I tend to log on and see who in the guild wants to come with me on an adventure which is unfortunate as I dont always fill up my group but I dont advertise it out side to the rest of the world. Perhaps that is something I should start to do to start a new trend maybe :)

If you are ever bored you can always see if Xee is online and If I have room Id invite you into what ever mess we are in. I can tell you that I hate UT and prefer to have fun rather then a mindless XP run.

Cheers,

Gov. Xee of Silverdale Market

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.