Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Names: When characters get wiped...

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by Karrolanth, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

A bit of feedback from my other half, who was just a teensy bit annoyed about this.

*bends her ear back into shape* That's better!

Now - he realises that this is pre-alpha and that characters are going to be wiped, he doesn't have an issue with that. What he does have an issue with is having to find another name for the character when he recreates it each time.

Some of the account information is obviously stored behind the scenes (this was confirmed in an 'ask the devs' question a few weeks ago), as character names stay in my friends list between releases. When a friend recreated his character with a new name in R6, the name was automatically changed in my list.

Would it be possible to save the name of the wiped character, and have the character creation screen default to that next time? If someone has spent ages finding a name they like and that is not already taken, it's very annoying (clearly... trust me, I had to listen to the rant!) to have to find another. Especially if you don't remember the name you chose last time. Perhaps he's in a bit of a minority here, and perhaps not... he can't be the only one who didn't have a name he's used for years.

So, is this a feasible thing? Even though the character appearance and everything is wiped, there's obviously some underlying data saved. If the character creator could default to the name and gender used last time (but allow them to be changed if required), it would help to preserve the sanity of some people and those who have to listen to them... ;)

(I realise that this would require that all character names are recorded somewhere so that newcomers could not choose a name that was used in the previous release, and perhaps that's more difficult than I imagine. But it would be really nice if this was a possibility. *puppy eyes*)

Lord Baldrith and prospereau like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Not following you:

Are you saying that you need to create a brand new character name for each release ? I have used the same names for my characters in every release I have played in thus far.

Or are you saying that after deleting your character in R7, you were unable to create a new character using the same name ? I just deleted one of my characters, and created them again using the same name with no problem.

(The Friends/Block list is keyed by account ID, so it is unaffected when a player changes their name)

3. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

He actually didn't try to recreate with the same name. He'd forgotten it from R6 and was so p-d off that it didn't default to his previously-used name that he refused to try, even when I told him I still had it in my friends list. :rolleyes:

My main point is that he can't be the only one irritated by this, but I also don't know if it would have been possible for someone else to take the name he'd been using. I'm tempted to log in and delete my character, and see if I can steal his name - but I don't really want to risk losing my house just yet if there's a chance it'll still be there next weekend. :)

I've been able to use the same name as well (although I didn't bother with a surname this time), but I don't know if that's just luck that no one else picked the same name. His gripe is that he couldn't remember the name he'd picked a month ago, and that it shouldn't be difficult to store it and display it as the default next time he wants to create a character.

(Edit: Yeah, I know he could just write it down... but he'd probably lose the note and then I'd get another earful... ;) And if it IS possible for someone else to take your name, that might not help anyway.)

prospereau, Brian and NRaas like this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Ah, I understand now. :)

5. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

It would be great if we could reserve our name and tie it to our account,

also lots/houses are now tied to our accounts and not characters, so you can delete your character and keep your house:)

NRaas, Sir Cabirus, Khloec and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.