NB Astronomy resumes..

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Well. How does everything have its own orbit? Wouldn't the centripical force of the game world pull everything into an orbital plane?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There is an orbital plane. The sun and all the planets are on the same plane.. alone with half the constellations. (If you ask me why the other half are on their own plane I'm just going to say I don't know it's a game :) but everything else is on the same plane).

Time Lord, Numa and Baratan like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So a couple updates.. someone had spotted a siege on June 2nd at Etceter. This is the first siege at Etceter recorded in June.

I will speculate at this point that a few inconsistencies in the schedule.. such as which months a certain city doesn't have sieges not following the 6 month pattern is simply due to incomplete data.. For example.. current data shows Aerie has sieges during February, March, May and June.. but not April.. Two other cities had similar data where new months have been recorded recently by others. It's very likely that my own schedule prohibits me from seeing whatever siege Aerie has during April.

Another note of interest, it was reported to that Etceter was seen having a rapid siege cycle prompting the question of whether or not it was related to the Purple planet.. though specific hours were not mentioned so in theory perhaps we might consider it's related to Sacrifice (Orange) which is 3 hours? But even more interesting was a report that a siege was witnessed rapidly respawning after 20 minutes.. multiple times.

I can't help but wonder if some of the data eludes to bugs in the system.. or simply an incomplete system. There is little point in ending a siege and restoring free access to a town if the siege will simply return in 20 minutes.

Then there is the question of what rapid siege cycles and respawns may mean for predictability

As it is there seems to always be at least 1 or 2 sieges active at any one time. It's less a question of predicting when so much as where.

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I'm not one to end sieges early, but I know that there are bosses in them and people have been looking for artifacts, which drop more frequently from bosses. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been an increase in the number of parties looking for sieges to battle since the latest big release.

Time Lord, Bowen Bloodgood and Numa like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Indeed. I know the Drunken Elders are doing just that. There surely must be more.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Numa

Numa Avatar

Sorry for this late post, there was a siege at Ardoris yesterday at gametime June 21 507PC

[​IMG]

Time Lord and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ardoris Siege July 9 507 PC

[​IMG]

8. Numa

Numa Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

For offline, use a macro like AHK (Auto Hot Key) to move around slightly on the overland map every minute or so to avoid logout and take a screenshot every hour. Might get caught by a roaming encounter, but since its offline it isn't really an issue.

Time Lord, Numa and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

might have to try this while I'm at work or sleeping. :) Trouble is it's 2 weeks worth of data.. per city.. or at least 1 week per city if we just stick to the 6 months we think the sieges are active there.

On the other hand.. complete data for 1 or 2 cities may be enough for the rest to be predictable.

Time Lord, Stundorn and Numa like this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Bah! Been spending half the day trying to get AHK to take a simple screenshot in the background and the bleedin' thing just won't do it if it's not the active window. I don't need to move around since it's offline. Tested it. :) But it just won't take any input while in the background.. Even changed the screenshot key to see if it made a difference. Command's being sent and SotA is taking it but.. no screenshot. Oh well..

What this basically is going to mean is while I'll be able to get accurate data while I'm away.. we'll be missing data from weekends.. We'll give it shot and see how we do I suppose.

First subject of this new phases of data collection.. Resolute

1: It's closest to highvale. :) (where I started for this little experiment)
    2: Sieges shouldn't start until Tuesday. So I won't miss any data on my 3 day weekend. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Interesting development. As I decided to use Jaanaford as a test subject while waiting for Resolute to start having sieges.. We may have to completely change how we view the siege schedules.

I have noted that, and this is just Jaanaford so far over the course of about 12 hours.. most sieges occur only at night and actually last less than about 20 minutes.

I have so far recorded a total of 8 sieges between Nov 14 and Nov 26. They spawn in at X:48 (dusk) and spawn out it seems less than 20 minutes later before dawn.

How many sieges have I missed because my rounds too me past a city during the day??? I now have it taking screenshots every 10 minutes.

A couple sieges occurred or lasted through daylight hours.. Nov 18-19, Nov 21 - 22, Nov 24 - 26..

I will have to recheck these as even these are short.. such as spawning in at dusk on the 24th and so having the day clear.

As most of this was recorded while I was offline.. (as in completely offline.. not just in offline mode).. these times cannot be affected by other players. Also confirming without a doubt that sieges spawn and despawn while you're in the overworld

Time Lord, Stundorn and LoneStranger like this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ardoris Siege January 13 508PC

[​IMG]

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And that would be our first Ardoris siege recorded in Jan. :)

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I think we can figure something more and better if we place one shrine and then watch when our pots get sieged.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I have an offline character parked right outside Resolute which should start seeing sieges by late this evening. We'll have a pretty clear picture hopefully as early as tomorrow night.

18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Ah nice, offline Mode and such, good idea :D
    Did you make the tool work to take a screenshot every 10 minutes ?
    And you want that for 2 weeks each city?
    I sadly haven't another PC where I could support you.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It will probably only be 1 week per city since sieges only seem to occur when a particular constellation is visible.. At least that part of our data seems pretty solid. :) It's a shame I need my laptop for work or I'd be able to do two cities at once and this would go a lot faster.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Numa

Numa Avatar

Siege at Ardoris Feb 2 508PC

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.