1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

[Needs More Info] Near instant crash to desktop when playing.

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by AoiBlue, Apr 21, 2020.

1. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

04/21/2020 01:23
    Title:Crash to desktop on Nightshade pass, preliminary test shows GPU Occlusion to blame
    Reproduction Rate: Not sufficiently tested to determine (seems 100%)
    Blocker? yes
    Details: Crash to desktop when adventuring in Nightshade pass, somewhere around loading the main view. Simple A/B test implies GPU Occlusion might be the cause.
    Steps to Reproduce: Load Nightshade pass and adventure up towards the left path and look over the lake.
    With GPU Occlusion on will freeze, suddenly increase memory usage, and then crash (at least on my machine)
    With GPU Occlusion off will not crash and will operate normally.
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 16009
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.33.0, 5.3.0-46-generic, LLVM 10.0.0) GPU RAM: 7963
    SotA.Linux.64.1178.Date.04.20.20
    Area: Novia_R3_Hills02_Hilt_Exterior
    Area Display Name: Nightshade Pass
    Loc: (324.2, 57.8, -102.0)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjNfSGlsbHMwMl9IaWx0X0V4dGVyaW9yfHwoMzI0LjIwNiwgNTcuNzY4LCAtMTAyLjAxMyl8KDAsIC0wLjc2MSwgMCwgMC42NDkpfDI2MC45NDM3fDEwfDUuMjQzMjE5

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  2. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

It's still crashing without GPU occlusion, but far less frequently. I can play roughly an hour between crashes now with GPU occlusion off.

These crashes need to be addressed BADLY.

Araminis Darkblade likes this.
  3. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I found this critical error in the log:
    "NavMeshLoadTime SceneId=Novia , Time=0.5327148
    DllNotFoundException: GDOC
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) Bearroll.GDOC.ResetOccludees()
    at Bearroll.GDOC.Clean () [0x0006d] in <8c8e4240e00e44f18191309e0d2f6541>:0
    at Bearroll.GDOC.OnDisable () [0x00012] in <8c8e4240e00e44f18191309e0d2f6541>:0
    UnityEngine.Behaviour:set_enabled(Boolean)
    Bearroll.GDOC:OnEnable()
    Bearroll.GDOC:Awake()"

I looked up what that was, it turns out your GPU Occlusion library is being linked into the Linux and Mac version despite the library not being there.

You need to create a compiler directive to fix this. The game should not be building with links to a library for platforms that don't ship with that library.

I suspect this is the major issue for all frequent crash bugs starting this release for Linux and Mac users.

BTW, I highly question the competence of a developer who fails to put a platform-selection compiler directive in their Unity Store plugin. You should not have to add such a directive, it should be built into the plugin. You may want to ask for a refund unless they can address this.

Araminis Darkblade likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

these crashes are not being experienced by all linux users.

5. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Are they being experienced by specific Linux users, though?

What is happening on the library is it is attaching itself to the camera's object, and then not removing itself on build for unsupported platforms.

I don't know if this is related to the crash or not.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  6. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

As a note, it seems this isn't the source of the most frequent crash recently. However, I suspect it is still causing issues. This sort of missing routine can cause lag issues, or crashes.

You may want to look into the RPC routine to transfer songs as well. I noticed that ran just before one of my recent crashes.

I'm sure there are problem routines all over the place and they are likely due to various issues upstream in Unity resulting in buffer overflows and stack overflows.

Since most such bugs leave noticeable marks in the profiler either as sudden unexplained memory usage, or sudden unexplained execution latency, you may want to create a profiler readout synced with a log and try and find any spot that is causing such patterns. Once the comparison is done you should have a list of suspect routines which you can create a suspicion level chart for.

Then you can experiment with the code that calls the routine to find a way to implement it working around the particular bug.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  7. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

1. Title: Near Instant crash shortly after joining on Linux.
    2. Reproducible? Yes
    3. Blocker? Yes
    4. Details: I am getting a near instant crash to desktop when playing. It throws a bunch of NREs than it looks like it is attempting to load a bunch of Windows binary dlls, including Kernel32.dll for some reason according to the log.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Try to play the game on Linux. you won't get far.
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
      16GB of Ram (11~14GB available.)
      AMD Ryzen 1600X CPU
      AMD Radeon RX480 GPU (POLARIS10, DRM 3.33.0, 5.3.0-51-generic, LLVM 10.0.0)
      OpenGL 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 20.0.6 - kisak-mesa PPA
      Ubuntu Linux 19.10

I'll post the debug log.

All this trouble started around the time the GPU occlusion engine was added. I am suspecting it is not removing itself properly from the Linux and Mac builds.

p.s. Debug log and system information reports:
    https://gist.github.com/Ruedii/ce9128a40cba6014445057182e928b5b

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  8. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

9. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

OK, it seems to only be 100% replicatable (near instant crash) when playing in the area near the Envy Angel's cottage.

Otherwise it is random infrequent crashing and poor performance. I cannot know for sure if those are related.

Any progress on this?

10. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I haven't noted any changes in the patch notes so I haven't retested. I've been playing other games for a bit. I'll get back if I'm asked to check or if change-logs mention fixing anything that leads to crashes.

On the list of changes that I'm looking for in changelogs:
    Anything that says it fixes a crash (might also fix the one I'm experiencing)
    Anything that says it's updating a particular library. (Could fix the crash, could make it worse.)
    Anything that says it's updating the Unity versions.

If there is anything else I should add to the list let me know.

P.S. added tags to the post.

11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@AoiBlue Are you still having issues? Envy Angel is back currently, FYI.