Need Friends

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Have no issues with the system on hand. It would be WAY down my list for things dev time should be spent on.

LiquidBlaze likes this.
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Too much work. Check my memory, if I know of them from the forums or have recently interacted with them, yes. Check the guild, automatic yes. Check the local zone (usually overworld), automatic no, otherwise no. If the request comes without even being able to see them on the screen, chances are it's rune booking.

Others are free to have different rules, up to full Lord British mode.

And for those who say "b-b-b-but UO had them!", how long did that take to happen from UO initial release? Fast travel is something that should be held back until an MMO starts expanding to the point where it gets really painful to get somewhere. I hardly ever use scrolls because I've had to get around in FFXI, and traveling in SotA is usually no worse than traveling around a single FFXI zone. In the early days, whatever teleportation you had, you had to earn it. I don't even use coconuts. Even now, FFXI generally only has travel to fixed points, so you have to think like there are ten different dimensional subway networks. Right now we just have the lunar rifts and a few underground passages.

3. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

4. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

I dislike the term 'friends' in this concept and would much prefer 'contacts' as defining those in game contacts.

5. uosylence

uosylence Avatar

Rune Stones, Gate, Mark, Recall, Rue Books. Please. Travel in this game is a pain.

licemeat likes this.
  6. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Only caveat I have in regards to runebooks would be that everyone is limited to a single runebook with something like 10-20 slots max. I personally think that the rune libraries and rune books ruined the vastness of the UO world. It also removed the in-between encounters that could happen on your way to a dungeon. Simply being able to portal into the general area would be good enough in my opinion. Add gate-travel spell/scroll, and remove the ability to teleport to friends. This would also potentially create a little side work for mages who could send people to various locations for a fee.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They have to get over the idea of regional economies first.

licemeat and Kara Brae like this.
  8. Thorgred

Thorgred Avatar

I dont like it that they force you to have friends to be able to Teleport. I dont want that many ppl in my Friendlist, but then on the other hand it makes teleport scrolls useless.
    And after all these years, tons of good ideas, moments before release ... we still have this "thing"

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well we have lots of things as you put it not just this. Still having a quick travel of some type is not a bad thing imo. Of course it's not perfect but we have it. Years ago some players fought to not have any quick travel whatsoever and for a while i thought they would win and during that time some of us Counter-argued for teleporting and rune books. In the meantime it evolved to this. So that's why we take what we can get until the devs address it again. It is slow to progress but for any of you who are new here it has been quite a ride.

So in many things as are still happening we can provide the feedback the best we can then who knows. I totally understand how you feel. For this one I can wait a while longer. :)

Edit: and I use recall and Teleport scrolls all the time. You need them to teleport to that person on your friends list and you only teleport to the scene they are in not to them unless they are on the overworld map.

Edit

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  10. Thorgred

Thorgred Avatar

Yes, thats sadly what we have. In my eyes another unfinished mechanic that needs alot of polish but it makes it into the final release. We will see, maybe in E3 we will get something that makes sense.

majoria70 likes this.
  11. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I am hoping the random friends request ends soon, or I'm going to start blacklisting people. It's annoying and only going to grow worse as the population grows. If we don't group, I don't want you on my friends list. I PVP, and don't want random strangers knowing where I am all the time. If you can't take the time to say hello first... **** off.

Ryodin Stormwind likes this.
  12. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

And I kinda like it. I'll think "where do I need to get to in the next 10 minutes I have left to be in New Britannia. Soyrn Fields? Cool. Who is near there?" And off I go. I sometimes find myself looking at my list of folks to teleport to and waiting for someone to get to where I need to be. And sometimes, they are in really cool places I've never heard of. I teleported to someone the other day just because I hadn't seen the town they were in before.

To me, it's more personable than a rune book.

And for the PVPers who don't want folks to know where they are? 1) don't accept friend requests and 2) Chris said that we should have stealth mode in the future.

majoria70 likes this.
  13. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

I just like to think of the logic behind any system,... like how does your avatar know where every one of your friends are all the time. What kind of magic is that it's like everybody wears magic tracking bracelets. The more logical approach to navigating around would be a magic spell that lets you recall a place you have already been to. Imo of course

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.