need opions on a Nvidia card i am thinking of buying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chatele, Mar 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER SC ULTRA is this card a good one. Anyone using it can tell me if it is worth buying? Is it quiet or noisy? How much power do I need to run it, how big a power supply. ty

2. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

EVGA are usually good cards. The 1650S should be ok for SOTA as long as not playing in higher than HD (1920x1080) resolution. Its a low end card but would do for that. If running at 2k+ I'd save up for a higher end card.

If you google it NVidia post recommended PSUs for cards but it really depends on what else is in your system - there are various configurators online where you input what you have and it will estimate max power - always go at least 25-50% over is my rule - EVGA also sell nice PSUs...

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I always google everything and research a bunch before buying. I have the 1060 myself and really like it atm. Here are some opinions I've found for you. Good luck with your purchase.

"Well, the GTX 1650 provides a substantial performance boost compared to the previous-generation GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti, so it's a definite step-up from the budget Pascal GPUs of yesteryear. It is a solid 1080p card that can be squeezed for some extra performance with a proper cooler and it has very low power consumption."

"The GTX 1650 packs 896 CUDA cores, that's 36% fewer than what you get with the GTX 1660. ... Nvidia claims the GTX 1650 is twice as fast as the GTX 950, and up to 70% faster than the GTX 1050 at 1080p, though the wording is a little tricky here as their claim is specific to modern games with complex shaders."

"Considering that the GTX 1650 Super was often 30 to 40% faster than the standard 1650, a 20% increase in total consumption is very good. It also consumed 16% less power than the GTX 1660 and a whopping 26% less than the RX 580, so in terms of efficiency the 1650 Super is excellent."

"Is GTX 1650 good for gaming?
    Yes, the GTX 1650 is faster than the previous generation GTX 1050 Ti, but it's also roughly the same performance as a high-end GPU from nearly five years ago. ... The GTX 1650 isn't a bad GPU by any means. It can hit 60fps at 1080p medium to high quality in most games, and it's affordable."

"Is the GTX 1060 better than 1650?
    The GTX 1060 is still a better graphics card than the GTX 1650."

"Should I buy GTX 1650?
    So, all things considered, we'd have to say: no, the GTX 1650 is just not worth buying as long as there are Radeon GPUs out there that offer better value for your money. As mentioned above, it is a decent GPU, but there is virtually no reason to choose it over the more powerful RX 570."

Ok I hope that helps. Good luck to you and I say just read what you can on the card and the options before you choose. I really like my 1060 but I'm sure it is mid-line at this point. I've had it a few years. It runs the game great on my SSD. Here are the specs:

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GDDR5 6GB

4. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Chatele and majoria70 like this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Chatele likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Chatele likes this.
  7. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Great ty all, gonna look into the nvidia 1060's up....

8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I like EVGA, they have good stuff, good customer service and good warranty... I've purchased several cards from them, only had problem with 1 of them a GTX 760 2gb, they sent me a 4gb in the return... My rig has a 750 w PSU, but I'm just running a EVGA GTX 1070 8gb now (purchased used off eBay $200 been working great)... I would check the EVGA spec to see if they have a recommendation for PSU wattage... I generally shop at newegg.com

majoria70 and Chatele like this.
  9. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Been looking at the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super also, though it cost more then what I was hoping to spend.... so it is a toss up between that and EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING - graphics card - GF RTX 2060 S, and EVGA GTX 1070 …. lol

10. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

2080ti, any reputable brand like EVGA.

Cordelayne likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Lol well it is an important decision. These cards make so much difference to our gaming experience or lack of. You will want to make a slow and informed decision rather than a quick one imo. I just hate being disappointed in my purchases especially expensive ones.

Chatele likes this.
  12. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Best choice depends on what other games you play, what resolution your screen is etc As well as how much you are willing to spend. Use sites like the userbenchmark one to get a feel for relative real world performance.

Any of those cards would handle SOTA fine. Personally I'd go for one of the newer RTX cards over an older 1070, but the 1070 is still a reasonable card even if getting older now.

As to the person saying 2080ti - LOL just no - absolute waste of money if for SOTA specifically. I have one in my main PC and its a great card - but for other games. In SOTA it offers virtually no performance boost over the much cheaper card I have in the other PC...

13. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

hmmm decisions decisions… I also play LOTR ftp... and it lags for me, so a card that will run Sota and Lotr better would make me happy :)

My sys specs are.
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model 810-145qe
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU J0X43AV#ABA
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date AMI 80.21, 5/29/2014
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 32.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 28.0 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 32.1 GB
    Page File Space 4.75 GB

if that helps

14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

hmmm down to the Nvidia GTX 1660S (super) and the Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super) not concerned in the diff in the prices, just want a good one so I don't have to constantly upgrade. I want an affordable one that will last more then a few years at least :) Any suggestions?

15. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

I just built a new PC and could have chosen lessor qualities of each part. However, I wanted it to be able to be used for SOTA and anything else. I wanted to still be using it in a few years as well. It took a very, very long time to make the choices but it was also the fun part of it. It had been many years since building one so it was a bit scary to begin.

Someone gave sound advice one time when buying anything you ever buy: research the produce for the reviews. Research the produces for what you will be using it for and how long you plan to want to use it. Buy the best product you can afford to buy...not the cheapest but the best quality.

If you have a friend in the IT business who builds PCs ask for advice from that person. That is where I started. Once I got advice I began looking at all the options and began ordering the parts. The Video card and the water cooling system took the longest to decide after making sure the motherboard would be compatible with all the choices....including the M.2 cards.

I did purchase the 2080 Ti RTX EVGA card and really like it. I had to return the first one . You will find many people had problems with them. I had installed the little part so that one could have the cable facing another direction but had trouble with it so sent that optional part back and did not use it. Watch several videos on how to connect the cables and to install. I have had no trouble with mine since watching and following the advice in the videos.

Have fun!

16. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

I’m not a computer wizard by any means, but I build my own machines so know a little about what to look out for.

It seems like your upgrading a pre-build system with a new graphics card, so I’m using the HP site specs for your machine here.

To really help you’d have to detail what hardware you have in your system, as the HP 810-145qe (otherwise known as HP Envy Phoenix), has a few hardware options I believe.

In the meantime, from what I can gather I can suggest a few things you should consider before you invest in a new card.

The first is what graphics cards can your motherboard handle and what graphics card size can fit in both the motherboard and case?

I see you have a uATX form factor motherboard which is 24.4 cm (9.6 in) x 24.4 cm (9.6 in). Specs tell me you have one PCI Express x16 (Gen 3.0) on that board.

I think first off it might be a good idea to measure what room you have to work with on your current board and what wiggle room you have in your case.

When looking at cards you need to factor in the length of card, depth of card (clearance between your board and the inside of your case), clearing height (near other areas on the board such as the CPU area, and cooling towers, memory cards and other pci slots and pins). And whether the face plate will fit the rear of your case.

Which specific cards have you looked at/have your eye on? I see you mentioned Nvidia GTX 1660S (super) and the Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super), but which ones specifically?

I will say that the newer cards are a lot longer and bigger than older models. I have an MSI RTX 2080ti Trio and it’s a big chunky boi. About two and a bit times the size of my old GTX 970. In fact it’s so big it covers a pci slot and squeezes up against my tower cooler and memory cards and other bits. I also had to factor in a newer case in that build to fit the depth of the graphics card and it’s face plate.

Also what display ports does your monitor have? I’m guessing from specs you have either VGA, DVI or HDMI.

Some newer cards only have Display/HDMI ports. Usually one or more DP and only one HDMI. This would only really affect you if you have more then one monitor or have a dvi or vga monitor.

(Btw just a bit of info for anyone generally reading this. If you don’t already, your best to connect your monitor(s) straight into your graphics card to get the best out of the card, otherwise your motherboard will fight to use your onboard graphics if you plug your monitor into your motherboard.)

Also check the PSU requirement for the graphics card you want to get. I think your safe with 600w. I think that’s what you have now?

You also have an SSD? If you do, do you have your operations system installed on the SSD? That will effect pc start up, and game scene/memory load times if your games are installed on the same drive.

Apologise for all the reading. This post turned out longer then I thought. Hopefully it helps in some way though.

17. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I have decided I like the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super 215 watts way better. I have the
    GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA in my machine now. My monitor has all 3 display ports VGA, DVI and HDMI. I am using the HDMI port now. My Monitor is running directly off the card. As far as measurements are concerned, my hubby will check on that for me. Yes my OS is installed on my SSD.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  18. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Your motherboard is 24.4cm wide, not sure about your case internal size, but a 2070 may not fit. Looking at a EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Gaming card for example, and it’s specs state length at 26.98cm, so whichever card your looking at, find it’s spec sheet and check the size before you order just to save any headaches.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

PCIe x16 Gen 3 is what most MB have, some have 2 PCIe slots for using a 2nd card and an internal bridge to tie the cards together, but I've found the if your using 2 cards together then ea slot is only using x8 lanes of data for each, so IMO just use a single card... for x16 lanes of data transfer...

I admit, I'm only familiar with ATX cases (which are full size) and most high end video cards occupy 2 slot spacing at the rear of the case... MBs which are video capable have different back plate that come with the MB, this plate is different than the slot plates... The only times I ran into problems was when the video card covered the next slot on the MB and I happened to be using that slot for a TV tuner card, it just forced me to move my tuner card to the next slot... The length of the card is something to worry about along with proper power feeds (sometimes the power feed is on the back rather than top of the video card)... Most newer cards have already been designed for clearing other components of the MB (if it doesn't touch, then don't worry about it)...

Other problem arises when/if you remove the card in future because these double wide cards always cover the locking latch, so that it's difficult to unlatch it...

I surely hope no one is using VGA which is analog and NOT HD... I did have a problem with my GTX 760 card where I needed to add the VGA cable to my monitor just to see POST messages (also changing my monitors input) otherwise when I was using HDMI solely, I couldn't see the POST to enter BIOS... This has been fixed when I started using a GTX 1070 card and I can now see all the POST info when using just the HDMI output...

Generally speaking, you can not use both the built in video of your MB AND a PCIe video card at the same time: in BIOS there is a setting to tell the MB where to find video display, so you can't set it to both... An add in video card can and most times support multiple monitor (I think Win 10 can support 3 monitor and extent your viewing area across them), the Display and HDMI and DVI ports are all "Digital" output ports and you can use them for multiple monitors and set which port displays which monitor by adjusting them within Windows OS...

@Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin :you give Great advise....

20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Please check to see if your "page file" is using your SSD, if yes, then disable it... With system RAM @32gb you don't need it on your SSD, in fact the constant writes to your SSD will shorten its life and you don't want that... Make an image of your SSD to an external drive every 6 months just to be safe... SSDs have unlimited reads, but limited writes (check your specs mine are like 1.5 million and that about 5 yr lifespan)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.