1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice

[Submitted 69740] Troll attacks are not synced to graphics / monster location

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills & Magic' started by Jesper Daelin, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Jesper Daelin

Jesper Daelin Avatar

01/24/2021 12:16
    Title: Troll attacks are not synced to graphics / monster's graphical location
    Reproduction Rate: 100% for swipe
    Blocker? No But frustrating as it can hit hard enough to 1-hit kill

Details:
    Troll attack swipe does not work properly. This animation has a very long windup and does massive damage. Classically it could be dodged by running behind the troll as little as 1 meter. In current state even running 20 units(meters? feet? yards?) away from the troll does not work. The troll will stand in place and complete the animation of swipe, after which he will charge at the player. upon reaching player's location the swipe damage and knockdown will be applied. Evading this damage now requires two moves, one during the animation and another after the troll starts to move to your new location. The second movement of the player requires a significant distance as regardless of player's vector you'll be in the frontal arc of the attack.

Steps to Reproduce: Fight a troll, let it beat you up. Try to actively dodge swipe by moving out of position and standing still
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16268
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GPU RAM: 11127
    SotA.Win.64.1333.Date.01.10.21
    Area: Obsidian_Keep
    Area Display Name: Ruined Keep
    Loc: (407.3, 95.1, 186.0)
    Debug: T2JzaWRpYW5fS2VlcHx8KDQwNy4yODQsIDk1LjA3MiwgMTg2LjAzMyl8KDAsIDAuNzI3LCAwLCAtMC42ODcpfDYyNi43MXwyNC41NzMyMXw1LjY3MDIyNw==

2. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Jesper Daelin Was this in a private scene or were you with other players? Do you know if you were the scene master? There were some previous fixes with troll syncing the animations to hits previously for when you are not scene master.. so trying to determine if this is something new. I'll go kill some trolls to test.

Anpu likes this.
  3. Echondas

I spent about an hour killing trolls and couldn't get this to happen.
    (as scene master)

I'll try again later or tomorrow with someone else in the scene.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. Echondas

I fought Torc Dawl for about 20-30 minutes with my friend's account as scene master (same PC), and I died a few times, but they were all legit kills from me not reacting fast enough. The trolls tend to do a quick Swipe attack nowadays after missing you with their charged up swipe attempt. I think this was added a while back when Chris made some tweaks to make trolls a bit more difficult.

I'm going to mark this as Needs More Info - if you can provide a video or something showing what is happening that seems incorrect. I'll continue to fight trolls for fun this week and see if I notice anything odd. I'll have my friend login on their PC in the next room (same network) and see if that produces any different results.

I suspect the odd behavior reported might have been related to network sync/lag due to not being Scene Master.

Chiasma likes this.
  5. Jesper Daelin

Jesper Daelin Avatar

I was scene master, in ruined keep, happens with torc and goruk for certain. I haven't tested the other trolls as I usually don't care about the amount of dmg they can do :p I'll try and get a video of it if it is still happening with this patch

Anpu and Echondas like this.
  6. Echondas

@Jesper Daelin Thanks for the extra info. I'll try and spend some time there tomorrow also, and see if I can find anything weird.

7. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

I experience the same thing these two days too. I died many times before the troll swing its hands. I also receive two hits before the troll swing its hands once.

The troll animation does not align with the damage it's done

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  8. Echondas

@Chiasma were you alone in the zone, aka scene master?

@Jesper Daelin FYI i killed a bunch of trolls in a player dungeon today and didn’t see anything odd.

9. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Alone in ruined keep yesterday

10. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

I experience this everyday as I do troll rooms as scene master. The swipe animation happens, player runs always, Mek charges to the player damage occurs and stun happen. If your low life already it's a 1 shot.

Also if your not a scene master and 50 meter away from troll stomp all fell the avatar.

11. Echondas

can you get a video maybe?

12. Jesper Daelin

Jesper Daelin Avatar

@Echondas

Sorry for the delay I haven't had much time lately to play let alone do this, I didn't have any video recording or editing software. I Finally compiled a video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yAd-O2SgTZR4tSpOpGwyVUPPo1U0DFDH/view?usp=sharing

There are three instances in the video. @ 0:48 , 1:25 , 1:41
    At 1:52 I replay all three instances at 1/2 speed.
    The first one can be hard to notice, I resisted the stun and there is extra spam in the combat chat from my fire DoTs. Goruk's damage is verbose though so it should stick out some.
    You will notice during the third swipe that it does a very quick attack "squish" after the swipe and it lands. Many times both swipe and squish will apply damage at the same time due to this bug.

All three examples are from fairly short range, however it can occur from a greater distance, the key is to not be moving prior to the animation ending from the Troll. I stopped early to ensure reproduction. This functionality(bug?) for swipe has been in game for a number of months now. Prior to that change Swipe could be actively dodged by taking 1 step behind the back of the troll.

This bug has been in game for years, I believe it is the original reason stomp knockdown was disabled

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  13. Echondas

@Jesper Daelin Thanks for this - I see what you're talking about with Goruk Mansmasher. I recall Chris on a stream saying he was doing some fiddling/tweaking with trolls to make them harder a while ago.. I'll mark this for dev. review, to see if this is something intentional or a bug.

14. Jesper Daelin

Jesper Daelin Avatar

It is clearly a bug.

The direction of the bug is one of two ways.

1. The functionality is broken from its historical use.
    2. the animation/logic state machine is malfunctioning and not updating the troll's location even though it is legally traveling and damage check is horridly out of sync with animation.

I would argue it is the first scenario since the rest of a troll's abilities function differently (same as they have historically) and the second scenario makes active dodging the trolls most deadly attack all but impossible.

As a side note, if Chris wants to make trolls harder I've been fighting them for years, I could offer some suggestions that would actually make the fight more challenging yet fair. :D (other bosses too)

15. Echondas

@Jesper Daelin Thanks to your video, I *was* able to reproduce this specifically to Goruk Mansmasher in Ruined Keep. I have been unable to reproduce it with Torc Dawl or other trolls up until this point. I pinged Ravalox about this dev. review or bug. I agree it *feels* like a bug, especially after experiencing it - I just wanted someone from the dev team to review it first, that it wasn't some kind of intentional thing.

tolgator likes this.
  16. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

06/06/2021 09:48
    Title: Troll Animation out of sync
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? Kind of
    Details: If you stay in the Ruined Keep long enough the Animations of the Trolls, especially Goruk Mansmasher, getting completely out of sync with the combat. You get hit by one of his attacks without seeing the corresponding Animation. The longer you stay the longer it takes to see Animation. Right now there is a 1-2 secon delay. Makes it nearly unplayable because you cant avoid his Attacks
    Steps to Reproduce: Stay in the Ruined Keep for at least 2 Hours or more, killing everything in there.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 32727
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.1388.Date.05.27.21
    Area: Obsidian_Keep
    Area Display Name: Ruined Keep
    Loc: (359.7, 74.7, 139.4)
    Debug: T2JzaWRpYW5fS2VlcHx8KDM1OS43LCA3NC43MTIsIDEzOS40MzcpfCgwLCAtMC41MTMsIDAsIDAuODU4KXwyOTguNDAyMXw0Mi42MTkwN3wxMS44ODI2Mw==

tolgator and Lilofee like this.
  17. Lilofee

Lilofee Avatar

Same happens to me. First Goruk works ok-ish, the longer I stay there the worst it gets.

Botocks and tolgator like this.
  18. Echondas

I'm seeing this now with Torc Dawl in Ravensmoor, specifically with the swipe.

19. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Submitted: Issue 69740