Nested POTs

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Caliya, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

In the original game design, house lots were intended to be limited and rare in order to retain property values.

As of this date in time, there is no cap on nested POTs and they are still available, what's to stop someone from buying a nested POT to place their house?

If they cap nested POTs, what incentive would there be to become a part of, what should be, a progressively growing and community driven world?

Razimus likes this.
  2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

In that case they contribute at least $900 to the game, so let it happen IMO.

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Who is to say that the dev team did not already have this many housing lots planned, POTs or not?

From one perspective, perhaps the player base funded the number of lots already planned?

mbomber and Caliya like this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

PoT's have caused a lot of changes from the original plan...

Lot's are definitely worth a lot less now.

Razimus and Caliya like this.
  5. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Yeah this has worried me quite a bit recently.
    will there even be a land rush? the early lot placement was one driving force for me spending my moneys..
    have more reasons though so no regrets but still...

Razimus and Caliya like this.
  6. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

wrong.
    wy?
    location location location.
    Having the right lot in the right place, for a shop or production is key later on.

So it doesnt matter how many lots out there are

7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

How do you think that bodes for a new player, that hasn't yet invested but may be considering it?

mbomber and Razimus like this.
  8. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

? aem considering what? pledging or gaining ingame a lot?

When this game starts it will be a war over the best spots ín the game. (like in every other game)

After that every thing will settle down. and this will start again with episode 2 and so on.
    The devs planning to make ressources are specifc so it doesnt matter where you life you will have a chanze to make profit, but the ones with the best spot will have an easyer time.

9. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Lots will still be limited in the manner that you cannot simply place anywhere, and that each hex will have a capped limit. The recent change being that there *could* be an unlimited number of nested POTs (as OP points out). Personally, I think nested POTs are not so attractive as they require at least an extra loading screen but I'm sure many people will be happy with it.

Hopefully the increase in such POTs would match (close enough) to the influx of new players looking for housing. I don't think it is going to work in any exact sense but rather it may hover around there. More people join, but housing spaces are limited so someone steps forward to buy a nested POT and suddenly new house spaces are available. Those fill up, then repeat.

mbomber and Budner like this.
  10. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

What's a Nested POT?

I've never been interested in buying a POT, never will. But what's the deal with POTS still being for sale? Is a Nested POT a fully instanced POT that will not be on the map or something? If so that would be sad for the owners. Houses were advertised as non-instanced to a major extent, excepting basements and the fact that there are multi-copies in other instances but those copies remain static for the most part. But yeah, it seems to me, and I can't see the numbers because they're hidden that I can see, but it seems to me they are selling either instanced POTs or every POT for Chapter I, II, III, IV, V, VI and VII. More money to the game, but at the expense of ruining the value of every lot? In UO lots were the biggest driving force of the economy. Location matters but when there are unlimited lots instead of limited lots it creates a big economic problem for the game.

11. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I have two PoTs - an island which you can see on the map and an underground that will be *inside* the island. No visual representation for the underground holdfast will be present on the map. So my underground is nested within the overland PoT. Hope that helps :)

Sean Silverfoot, mbomber and Razimus like this.
  12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Oh hmm, interesting. So a nested POT is like a massive basement for a POT hahaha. Very cool but not on the map, hmm. Well, still, the POT page doesn't say anything about nested-only or anything so they're still selling non-nested POTs? I mean, the server space for all these POTs is going to add up, hope someone has a calculator.

mbomber and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Partly wrong.
    Yes there will be wanted spots, no doubts.
    But with all the lots out there the avg. lot lost a good portion of its value.

Razimus and mbomber like this.
  14. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I think there will be many "locations" especially with the local economy emphasis. New players can find a way, lots of guilds and/or POTs will welcome them. People will be able to enjoy the game alone too if they prefer.

Atogrim and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  15. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Yeah. In UO the only reason lots had value was due to the fact that there were so few, originally, compared to the active population. Outnumber the number of plots to players and the value of plots plummets excepting a rare few "luna-esque" plots

Atogrim likes this.
  16. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

How an wy?

The follow explanation is based on facts that i know and featurs that i expect to come.

Based on Lot Type

Row lot and basments.

Row houses and basments are perfect for setting up shops in towns or having a crafting and living space.
    Since you can extend your living space with a basment it doesnt matter that bad that raw houses are small.
    They can used as shops,homes or even hotels to make gold. For a shop and a hotel location is a importent factor.
    Farming according to the devs isnt plant for this houses.

Village lot and basments.

This are the perfect size ones when you like to have a bigger home that you can share or setting up a farming area.
    Shops are possible but mostly in pods, in point of interest citys it will be hard to find a good spot, but it is still possible.
    The sice is perfect to set up a big hotel special witht he basments. Or using your lot for farming. (since we dont know much about farming and regions i dont want to talk to much about it)

Town and Higher.

They are for guilds or community farming fields. For events or giant homes for peapel who got unlucky. for shops they arnt quit good even i know peopel who used them as shops. wy?
    They take a lot of space and having a good location might possible in a pot but hard to achive in a city of interest.

Over all since every location on the map or region should have there own ressources, i dont see any devalue.

work is calling so i need to **** this up ^^

17. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Port needed space for all the quest related towns and szenes its not a big deal, and if a person wants his pot on the map he has to wait for episode 2-3 when we get more land mass.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ok let me rephrase it:
    We have MUCH more lots than deeds at launch.
    This means everybody and his mother and her brothers dog will find a lot. And there will still be a lot of empty lots left.
    Yes the lots in Ardoris and Owl's head will retain some of their value. But not as much as value they would have if pots wouldn't exist.
    The lot in owls head is to expensive? No problem. I will move to the pot that is literally placed ON owls head.

19. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Nested POTs are meh.
    Don't think many will buy those.

I know i won't :p

20. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

I dont see there a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.