New article about SotA - objective and interesting, worth a read

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoneWerewolf, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Amazed this thread is still open on the basis I have been informed on good authority that the last person who posted a link to the article got banned from here.......

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I somewhat doubt it was because of the link itself.

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I can only go with what I hear and there is absolutely no reason for it not to be true.

When you can be moderated for having a character called "Harry Potter".......ANYTHING is possible.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I concede.
    But based on experience i can take a pretty good guess why it was locked ;-)
    And that experience tells me the link itself or the review behind the link had nothing to do with it ;-)

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Can only go with what the "official" reason that was communicated and the word of the person who posted........

Seriously though.......Harry Potter!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

If the whole thread would be deleted then this would really speak volumes...

Jamet, Stundorn, Mykll and 4 others like this.
  7. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I would think the Naming Policy -> Famous Person, is the reason if something happened to his account.

Bowen Bloodgood and Elwyn like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

No Harry Potter was me......im a wizard!

Also.......I will try and put this gently.......you know how "Santa" isn't a real person........well sorry, neither is Harry Potter (as in the wizard).........That being said I am sure there are many many Harry Potters in this world (I guess those people cant even be themselves in the game).....I wonder how many Gandalfs there are.....

Anyway this is complete off topic

Mykll likes this.
  9. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Warner Bros. hold the Copyright for „Harry Potter“. You cant use it without risking a lawsuite.

Solazur likes this.
  10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Best write to all the Harry Potters in the world then :p

EDIT: If someone was to write a book "Harry Potter ...." then I agree with you. If someone wrote a book and had a character called "Harry Potter" based around the fictional character.....then I am likely to agree with you...........If someone played an MMORPG and made a character called Harry Potter then I would say there is absolutely no legal grounds for any lawsuite.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You're saying that Richard said it was a single player game that could be played online. Which is false. Richard said a great deal about multiplayer being an open persistent virtual world. He says this immediately after the ONE quote you guys like to use as your smoking gun.

So once again you're using the "smoking gun" quote out of context. Richard immediately talks about an open persistent virtual world akin to UO right after he says that. Which is really interesting because if your game is "basically solo player" why would you then basically talk about mulitplayer in such a robust way?

And that's the problem. There are people here that ignore that fact because what they wanted was just the single player part, with a side of multiplayer friends mode. But instead of just saying that, they have decided that their argument is really only strong enough when it contains lies. The lie being that SOTA has changed. It hasn't. It is exactly what it was designed to be from the start. Some players may not have wanted what it was designed to be, some players may have wanted more or less MMO type features, but it was always going to be a fair and even mixture of both, and that's what it is.

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yeah and we coudln't use Ultima lore because EA would sue us... but, they don't care a single bit we based almost everything off the ultimas, to them this usage of copyright content has less impact than a single freeshard.

Lets be realist here, sure a character in the game named Harry Potter would be strange and inapropriate, but you can't begin to moderate what players do in the game, its preposterous. Of course theres situations where it can happen to be moderated, if the name is offensive, racist etc...

but common... Harry Potter...

Budner likes this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Maybe its a question of perspective, but when I backed the game I was 100% sure that this would be a 3d reboot of Ultima 5-6 (my favorites) and that perhaps somewhere down the road we'd have a MMO.

The idea to play MMO like UO was never even in my thought process, oh I would have loved a UO2, but after reading a bit I had accepted that we would never have it, and I still backed the project for the Single player game you can play online with friends.

Then again in my recent post Pandora's box, we see Richard went to stratics (of all places lol) and asked for suggestions from UO players about the best way to handle PvP (in 2012!). The response rate for stratics is extremely low... almost unbelievably so when the creator of ultima himself comes to ask for suggestions.

So to him it was clear thats what he was making, but the person who did the pitch for the kickstarter didn't make that clear cut, cause myself that hoped beyond all hope to have a UO2 with a siege perilous beleived it was mainly a single player game with a great story (and I expected something like witcher 2-3).

Paladin Michael and Sir Cabirus like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I think this one was much worse:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/acceptable-names.62026/
    since it was both A) a homosexual slur which was forced on the person by the moderation and B) shows a huge slippery slope fallacy of subjective reasoning. Which in a game with PvP gives a very scary precedent.

Also one thing to notice about moderation is that there are plenty of names that violate the naming policy. Just in this thread alone we have at least three.

Which means that Portalarium doesn't usually go through everything with a comb, but rather in order to get moderated it usually requires some other player to make a Report/Complaint about it. Which is pretty standard I'd say if you have limited resources.
    But that means that vocal people, or PvP people, or critical people, or unpopular people, or any such are much more likely to get reported and thus moderated. Which again sets a scary precedent.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

It lost me at:

"
    • The PvP of the game offers the PvP fans too little risk and too few rewards. PvE fans, however, feel compelled to PvP, as they are automatically assigned to PvP in certain game areas - whether they want or not.
    "

Which is a complete false hood and proven to be so many times. That being a few dedicated zones were created for PvP and no one has to go in there for any reason (except one that I can think of, a rare head which they could just purchase if from another if they really wanted it).

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You know.. pretty much EVERY single time I see someone say something like this.. it never happens. At least not for the reason of being critical. Now when people start bickering, being rude and making personal attacks sure..

17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Schön das wir mal auch in Deutsch posten.

Ein danke an alle deutschprachigen die auf Englisch ständig ihr Feedback geben und sich die Mühe geben es verständlich rüberzubringen. Ihr seit Spitze.

Und mit ein bischen bayrischer Würze machen wir mal den Google Translator etwas schwerer. Grins.

Eine bayrische Weisheit nützlich für alle Foren dieser Welt:

Mit dumme Leid zu streiten is wia mit na´Taube Schach zum spuin
    Egal, wie guad du Schach spuist, de Taube werd olle Figuren umscheißen, aufs Bredl scheißen
    und herumstoiziern, ois hatts gwuna

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Ja, ich finde mich auch toll :p

Paladin Michael, Solazur and Myrcello like this.
  19. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Genau. Wir sind Nummer 2. Oder wie war das gleich?:D

20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Fictional people can be famous too. The general rule (in other games, not just SotA) for situations like these is if a random average person knows the name from somewhere, it should not be allowed. The more well known the name, the faster the rule gets enforced.

The few times this general rule is waived are when the player has an actual connection, such as being the real person, or the author behind the works that the fictional person appears in.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.