New Britannia Heraldry

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Bowen, I've had requests already...
    Serpent :)

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

but did that include the meaning of 'avatar'? Actually I think the symbol bring refered to was the sideways 8.. we were discussing metals at the time where it was suggested gold be inifinity.. and the image shown was a gold snake in the inifinity shape. I may have misread the original suggestion a couple posts back?

3. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

The 2 requests I had I nudged to the circle design. I have been trying to veer all requests away from using the figure 8 version just in case it is used by the developers. Might be a city, town, or other in game group arms design and I just don't want to have to dissapoint someone. Thats how I've been working with people...trying to keep away from designs that the game may already have.

4. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

Being the one that posted the original golden serpent symbol, it was indeed an infinity sideways 8 looped one. The traditional Ouroboros is generally the single circular looped serpent Ronan linked. It's entirely possible that if the golden infinity looped serpent were seen as that to NBs (as Infinity) then a single looped Ouroborus styled one could mean something akin to Avatars as a symbol of sort of.. Infinity embodied in a sigular form perhaps? Whee. Symbology. And just because such a symbol may now become something that now has conotations of doom and destruction, doesn't necessarily mean that anyone sporting such a symbol wouldn't immediately be suspected by folks of being an Avatar. It may be looked at askance, but not necessarily as a proclamation of identity.

rild likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So long as it's not an identical copy I don't see an issue. The first thing we did here was discuss possible meanings for the symbols on the craft, magic and combat sigils.. and also LB's arms. All stuff already in-game.. and for the purpose of providing a starting point to help people design their own arms.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've been thinking about the Eye symbol and discussions about the Oracle and here's what I've come up with.

The Eye itself likely originates from the Obsidian Eye from the BotA prologue and thus should bare that name. It could carry the meaning of prophesy.. an uncertain fate or fate in general as well as faith. It doesn't necessarily have to refer to the man its named after. With this meaning a Soyuz around an Obsidian Eye could still work to represent the Oracle.

So the proposed Oracle symbol could carry a meaning of being guided (Soyuz) towards your fate (Obsidian Eye). Also I'm now having the impression that the Oracle is more of a spiritual leader or perhaps holds a certain.. almost religious reverance to the people of Novia so this could be considered a religious symbol as well..

Whether the Obsidian Eye includes the triangle and circle is perhaps another issue. I'm inclined to think that it can go either way. With or without.

If there are no concerns, objections or other ideas currently for the eye or oracle I'll go ahead and put these in the OP and move on to another open subject.

rild and NirAntae like this.
  7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Sounds reasonable and well thought out to me, unless there are objections "from on high" lol

8. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

Well I'm just hoping there's an easy heraldry tool.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Both Coren and Grant are working on generators. Hopefully they will be adequate for most people's needs. If not I'm sure someone at the College of Arms will be happy to assist as needed.

10. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

There are two versions currently in development; one, by Grant MacGregor, is a very easy, drag-and-drop interface, while the other, by Coren, is more versatile but more complicated to use. If you watch the latest Heraldry chat, both are shown off beautifully. :-D

11. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

OK, so I'm watching the video and trying to get to Corens. At the College of Arms page but see no link to the Heraldry builder.

12. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

13. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

14. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

That may be a browser issue? Try a different browser, like Chrome perhaps?

15. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Alex, I think thats based on the browser you have and a few other things. I also have difficulty with viewing Coren's. I'll get the first render, but after that it stalls. I know others have no problem viewing renders. It will be something I'm sure will eventually get worked out.

EDIT: hehe NirAnte and I are on the same page!

NirAntae likes this.
  16. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

OK, using google chrome now. Get "vector preview" but nothing shows up in it either. With IE I get the whole vector preview there's no device in it. Where chrome I see the words vector preview but the field underneath is collapsed.

17. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I don't know, then. :-/ Might contact Coren and let him know specifics.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

ok.. have updated the OP with the Eye and Oracle. Moving on.

The item at the top of my notes.. is now Furs specific to New Britannia.

While they are not technically made of fur.. the top two suggestions so far are..

Dragon Scales
    Silver Serpent Scales.

The meanings for these are still pretty much up in the air.. though I figure dragon scales would lean towards the same meaning as a dragon.. possibly focusing more heavily on defense. Perhaps the basic 'fur' here should appear as gules scales?

Silver Serpent Scales I'm thinking should be.. well.. a silver scale pattern. As I'm sure we all know the silver serpent is LB's symbol.. and also representative of the Order Serpent from SI. It was also used by the Order of the Silver Serpent based in Serpent's Hold. From these I think we can derive the meanings of courage and order primarily.

Other suggestions included..

Mongbats - batwing pattern?
    Gwani - I just threw this out there are gwani cloaks seemed to be a status symbol in SI.. very expensive.. unfortunately gwani are also sentient..

Then also from SI the 3 factions of Monitor were

Bear - Strength
    Wolf - Intelligence
    Leopard - Dexterity

Leopard is fairly easy.. I'm not sure what bear and wolf furs would look like. Perhaps they would be similar except bear is brown and wolf is grey? leopard would be white with black spots?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone? Beuler?

19. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I would think dragon scale would be your standard "heater shield" shape scale, while serpent scale might be some variety of a hexagon pattern, possibly elongated, like so:

[​IMG]

Not really a fan of things like that being defined purely by their tincture.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

interesting. .for some reason I never thought of serpent scales like that but they are aren't they? Reminds me of the silver serpent texture from U9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.