New Britannia Heraldry

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

I forgot one thing I kept meaning to contribute to this thread on the Obsidian Eye symbolism... As others on this thread mentioned, an open eye has been used to symbolize knowledge, awareness, insight, and enlightenment. But more specifically, its also given a related meaning: consciousness -- as meaning more than simple awareness; rather as mind emerging from matter. I find this to mesh very well with how in the novel the Obsidian Eye character sees chaos magic.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  2. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

Just something I was toying with the other day after perusing screenshots, creating a stylized image of the tesla guard tower.. thingies..

[​IMG]

OSullivan and Sir Frank like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's interesting but I think the College would probably say it has too much detail.. but I can easily see something similar with 1 or 2 colors.. as more of a silhouette with either a flame or lighting bolts around the sphere?

The question I would ask is first.. have these towers been around long enough to be adopted into NB heraldry.. and secondly.. does it even matter?

If there were a meaning associated with it (optional of course).. it brings to mind the ideas of protection and technology, advanced mechanics and by extension someone skilled or associated with the tech implying great skill and knowledge. Possibly magical but leaning towards mechanics/world physics and laws. Possibly then implying order also.

4. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

I have no plans on using this myself, I already have my lovely chaos star howling copper coyote arms after all. It's just something I was fooling around with, mostly to see what I could create from scratch with regard to the Towers, that others might use or take inspiration from. And indeed, those are the sorts of things that come to mind to me as well.. protection, technology, innovation, advancement of knowledge.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I actually get a pretty clear picture of an alternative tower (as described). I'm half tempted to do one up now.. but it'll have to wait until I'm conscience. I haven't had any sleep and am currently running on caffeine. :)

6. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

See my plan is working already! You're inspired!

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I was! Good work. :)

8. vasdrakken

vasdrakken Avatar

This is a bit late for a lot of people but if you have not been approved yet, here is a public domain book on heraldry that has a lot of useful images and info on the stuff you can use for charges.

Fictitious & Symbolic Creatures in Art, John Vinycomb
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40825

9. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Hi are you guys still doing coats of arms for people? Because I need to change the one Sir Frank did for me ages ago.

10. Knight Grant MacGregor

Knight Grant MacGregor Avatar

Hi Sir Asguard, absolutely! We're actually still in the ramp-up phase. :)

Two resources for you:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/the-college-of-arms.102/ Here you can get acquainted with the ins and outs, as well as request help from a Herald.
    http://blazonforge.com Register here and start on putting together your own coat of arms. Charges are limited right now, but we have a whole slew lined up to be added soon. The generator won't be able to do many more complicated things yet, but we're working on getting that done for you. If you register using your SotA Forum Display Name and work with a Herald or Artist from the College of Arms, they can upload customized devices to your profile. We will soon have the approval and Arms Registry process available, so that your official arms can be recognized publicly.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any other assistance. :)

All the best!

11. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Cheers, I want to use the Corrigan one I am using as my avatar currently but would like to add a Black Sword (from U7 of course :p ) through the middle.

Edit to add, Oh on a founders shield :p

12. Knight Grant MacGregor

Knight Grant MacGregor Avatar

Excellent, that doesn't sound like a problem at all. In fact, we will have most of the charges you are using in the generator very soon. :) Until then, please post in the College of Arms section of the forums linked above. Unfortunately I won't be able to help you here, as I will be away on travels until later this month. :)

13. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I started a thread for you Sir Asguard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.