Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Combat Focus regen rate is way too low :D

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by GrayFog, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derfus

derfus Avatar

Pure ranged build. Aimed shot, blinding shot, piercing shot, and disabling shot all cost 20 focus with all at gm. If I gm inner calm I'll get 10% off, so they'll cost 18. Trivial and not worth the time it would take doing artificial deck swaps to level quick swap, much less the experience pool burn to gm inner calm.

Having quick swap in the tree before you can get to inner calm is stupid. They are in no way related. Tree branches should be progressively improving an aspect of your build.

The issue here is not the actual focus cost of skills, it's the absolute requirement that I unequip weapons to get any focus regen. I have to wait for all cooldowns to expire unequipping which takes 6 to 10 seconds on average, then it takes the same to get my toolbar populated again after I equip again. Putting back better regen 5 seconds after the last glyph use is essential.

I'm in a very small guild and I spend most of my time grinding through low level greens while gathering resources for the guild crafters (and that includes me). I don't race through zones chain killing mobs. I skin everything I kill and I gather everything I see. I have plenty of downtime in this cycle already. Adding more and making me continually check to see if I have weapons equipped or not is excessive and makes gathering resources even more of a pain that it is already.

I spend way too much time staring at the walls in this game already. I made 100 Wolf Surprises the other day. I was out of several components and the process took almost three hours. Two hours every day gathering water and over an hour planting and watering, and that's with someone else in the guild doing the same.

I use the best available food. I have a combat tool bar slot tied up with focus potions that yield nowhere near enough focus to be worth the cost. We took out Torc'Dawl the Unbreakable a couple of times Sunday night and I burned through 20 focus potions. Was worth it as it was the first time the four of us were able to take him down, but it's not something I can afford to do when gathering resources.

Numa and Almar like this.
  2. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

I can understand now why it's not an issue for you. As I said, I use food all the time. My Inner Calm is at 87.

Kara Brae and Almar like this.
  3. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

I understand now why this isn't an issue for you either.

Kara Brae, GrayFog and Net like this.
  4. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

congrats now apply that new found understanding to your own character build and enjoy :p

seriously I manage my focus like the precious rescource it is. its not like I can spam attacks all day, if I did that I drain my whole pool in about 45 seconds as I pay 19 and 28 focus on my most used skills per use.

5. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

They stated in the release postmortem that there is a problem with focus regen at higher levels and they intend to address it. Great news.

Almar, kaeshiva and helomech like this.
  6. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I hate having to pay attention too :( :p

7. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Yes, what Chris said was that at higher level skills and abilities the focus drain for them "might" have scaled up too far, so he'll look at it and adjust if necessary.

Calusari and Pebbles like this.
  8. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

"if you want to play the style that destroys super fast, expect to have downtime, if you dont like it, potion up and buy some food from the crafters, they arent there for decoration"

like I said, if you like downtime, you can have it, if everyone can go around spamming and killing stuff faster than me without consequence, why even have DoTs and focus efficiency in the first place? just remove focus and make the game a cooldown based mechanic and let the spam begin....

I like playing attrition style in pvp, if they make it more efficient to spam like a glass cannon, half the builds in this game will become obsolete (in pvp) which used to be the case before the change

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  9. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

SotA is plainly going into the state where you play the game of waiting.
    Fight a 2-4 monsters, wait to regen up again, rince and repeat.
    This is if you fight yellow con mobs, if you fight something that is orange con then it is fight 1 monster and then regen.
    You can not get a flow in the fighting since you always run out of focus and as long as you are in fighting stance you can't go on, you HAVE to go out of combat which in turn has a 10-15 seconds wait after fight.

Am getting more and more interested in watching TV instead of playing.

Calusari, Gregg247, GrayFog and 2 others like this.
  10. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I can't seem to agree more... but I'm trying to egg out a little more agreement.

11. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Well said Chris. At lvl 86 and using tier 3 food (not even the highest one) the focus regen is working fine, nothing dramatic. The difference is that we can't crazy spam skills/spells anymore, now is more about manage our focus and use more auto/normal attacks between skills.

We must adapt to new changes, not just cry everytime they "nerf" something lightly.

Spinok and Lord Ravnos like this.
  12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

lightly :D :p

helomech likes this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Was it mentioned how since the regen is based off your max, Tamers get screwed and pets become more usless? (as your regen changes massivly when ure pets out )

Grimbone likes this.
  14. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

Something got changed and it's eliminated my issues with focus regen. I was getting a focus cost reduction of 1 for each stack, i.e., Aimed Shot costs 19, x2 was 18, x3 was 17, etc. Now it's 19 unstacked, x2 is 14, x3 is 11, x4 is 8, x5 is 6 focus. And Rapid Fire costs me 25, but x2 it is 19, x3 is 14, x4 is 11, x5 is 8. Same with other glyphs.

Seems like a pretty solid solution where stacking now makes a very notable difference in both dmg dealt and focus cost.

Numa and Fister Magee like this.
  15. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

I've tried some low focus cost builds by using abilities I haven't leveled past 80 and verified that food, buffs, and potions are enough to off-set the lack of regen. (I started carrying around 80+ focus potions on me and have it on my bar now) Losing just 1 slot isn't that bad. I still think high tier food needs a small bump to account for the increased focus cost though, as I said I can just about maintain with all these elements in place using low focus cost build of abilities ranging from 50-80. At my level though I should be using my higher level abilities though so if they fix the ramp I still will have trouble maintaining, even using all the proper mechanics.

For death builds, If you use lifetap you could swap out the focus potion for a health potion since that 'shouldn't' be effected by the life attunement debuff and combined with life drain abilities should be able to keep focus and health up decently well.

So it looks like the focus cost ramp is the prime issue here and why Dev testing at level 40 and 80 didn't encounter the pain point of using abilities above level 80. So if they can fix the focus cost scaling and give a tiny bump to high tier food we should be good, or at least give us some better food that's specialized towards intel/focus regen. (I feel like the obsidian/surprise tier foods need a little better diversity and flexibility) I like the options we have but we are lacking intel/focus and the ability to custom tune these recipes through 'seasoning' or something.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nothing changed. It's still the same as it was before R38.

17. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

I agree with you that the reduction in focus cost for stacking is now the way it was pre-R38, but I don't believe it was working correctly last week. At least not for me. I was only getting a reduction of 1 focus for each glyph stack, after the focus "correction patch" and then up until at least Tuesday. Then I didn't play Wednesday or Thursday and on Friday stacking glyphs was reducing focus cost as it did pre-R38.

Barugon likes this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I am having fun with the change. I crafted some greater focus potions and put them on my combat bar, which I have never ever done before. I am also wearing my new chain armor I crafted and I'm eating food before helping to heal in a group. Finally our consumables will be valuable and necessary. Now to get a resting bonus from sleeping in beds or camping (which I hope comes in, like carrying timber to make a camp). I'm hoping for 4 hour resting bonus from logging out in a bed or camp. ;)

I'm also getting a lot less fizzle with chain verses plate which only makes sense, plus I'm working all fizzle reduction skills and adding fizzle reduction to armor and weapons. The greater focus potions are better of course.

Changes like this make it seem more like a game to me. I have been here since 2013 and never ever have I needed to eat a food or drink a potion or had the option to even add a stat that helps fizzle. I also just used heal and suffered with fizzle since I was going to wear plate. The fizzle difference is really very noticeable so it is working. So this is progress and will continue to get tweaked I'm sure. Way to go @Devs. :)

Numa and Lord Ravnos like this.
  19. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

So much agree... returning Focus is CRAZY slow, and solo fights (as an archer) take so stinkin' long since I have to kite everything, hoping that at least a LITTLE focus comes back so I can get off a "Disabling Shot" on ONE target, just to gain a few seconds of breathing room... kinda. PLEASE give us our Focus back! Are we listening, devs??

Gamician and GrayFog like this.
  20. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

Can I put a "SUPER-LIKE" on this? ;)

Calusari likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.