Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Conversation Window

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by The Banker, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Banker

The Banker Avatar

The window shown in the instructions picture with ALL keywords listed rather than having to hit the arrow to scroll is better.

Overall though it seems greatly improved.

Svahn, Numa and Black Tortoise like this.
  2. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I found it looks quite horrible, looks like little or no design was put into it, pretty much all feedback regarding Chat has been utterly ignored because this looks as bad as a enlarged chat menu (in the bottom left), except now it's center screen.

I would rather see a community member's idea implemented than this.

Preachyr likes this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

My opinion is that it is far more functional.

My opinion is that the buttons at the bottom should all be visible at once, the tiny little arrow is not very functional.

I also can't read it. I'm sorry, I'm trying, but as I look at the Oracles words, I can only see about the first 1 sentence before my eyes cross and I just skim.

My arrival has been forseen. I am the agent.... oh God my eyes are crossing. Click a keyword (or type it in the old days.)

Is it the black background? The (admittedly, a little bigger than before) crowded small type?

I don't know, but I'm not finding myself excited to go start questing yet. And I'd like to be excited. I have 3 friends waiting as well, none of us have wanted to get past the UI to the story yet.

Svahn and Black Tortoise like this.
  4. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Try tan on black.

5. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Since I said I didn't like the design of the new window I should at least say what's wrong..

1- add image of npc (can even be 3d version)
    2- player on the left side, the npc on the right side. when player to player yourself on the left other other player on the right.
    3- improve the font
    4- put buttons on right side...
    5- add design to the background so it's not just all black

uhop likes this.
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Maybe something like this

[​IMG]

Svahn, Baratan and Black Tortoise like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think the new conversation window is much better than before. I'm impressed with the change.

Perhaps there's still room for improvement but I'm not sure what that would be. One critique would be that if you're flagged for PVP you're at a HUGE disadvantage while in conversation with any of the NPC's. You can't see anything. Again, this is why when you make a game with PVP you should (imo) always start from the perspective of how does this impact PVP? Because now it's probably going to be near impossible to make this better without major changes.

8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I would like it if the return key behaves just like the normal chat console - it opens up my cursor there. Currently I always have to re-click ino the small text input field for the NPC conversation window to resume focus. But yes as said - step in the right direction, thanks for the improvements.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  9. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah crafting and conversations with NPCs are horrible for combat, and most combat you get in those situations is PvP, because they tend to at least put stations and NPCs away from enemies.

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Having NPC guards in towns would help with this some. I hope that's coming soon.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They said the old conversation window (with some secret surprises) is still there but I haven't figured out how to switch back to the old one.

12. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

I'd like keywords that you shouldn't know about not to show up on the chat. I was in Xenos today and one of my options was bonesteel even though I haven't progressed with that quest to the point I should be asking about it there.

Hazard, Gadfrey Zukes, Numa and 2 others like this.
  13. uhop

uhop Avatar

I have two orthogonal problems:

1) Chat window is too small vertically. Frequently NPCs have a lot to say, and I miss what they said. Plus I have to look up constantly for keywords. (Keyword area is not big enough to hold all necessary keywords. Just talk to Oracle to see what I mean.)

2) Sometimes NPCs close my Chat window at their own volition. What's up with that? Now I have to reopen it somehow, but how? I can look at Log window, but it is frequently polluted with never-ending nonsense like "X hit Y for N damage", which makes scrolling impossible too.

My pet peeve is a combination of the two above --- got it in spades during the courage quest: kobolds close Chat after splurging paragraphs of text leaving me clueless at what exactly happened, and what should I do now.

Maybe #1 above can be fixed by letting us resize the chat window, or define two switchable sizes: big and small, small being is what we have now. #2 can be cured by a facility to review N latest conversations (or the latest conversation) --- let's face it, in a chat-based RPG it is uber-important.

PS: And we need to fix Journal. We should be able to look up the most recent entries, and related entries somehow: all entries should have keywords/topics defined (at least manually by us), text search should be available too, maybe some geographic grouping.

GreyMouser Skye and Net like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I actually like the new conversation window a lot. I was for a fancier version of it though but I don't mind it. I do still think a scroll like/medieval type of font would look better though as long as it was very readable ;)

Sir_Michael likes this.
  15. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

This

16. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

The center screen change was unnecessary. I liked it the way it was before.

Net likes this.
  17. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I like the idea of the new chatwindow :) Think it will receive polish over the next releases until it is perfect ;)

18. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

I feel it is a big improvement compared to how it was before.
    However it still feels like a chat window, so I hope they don't consider themselves finished.
    I also think the kewords would be better off to the right instead of at the bottom.

Baratan and Net like this.
  19. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

One easy way to fix this in my opinion would be to mark PvP PCs talking to NPCs, crafting , etc. as non attackable and only allow them to be attacked when not interacting with NPCs, crafting tables, purchasing/selling items etc, but I know all the hard core PvP players will hate this idea. I sure know it would make my life easier, as I am only attacked by other players in Towne while distracted talking to NPCs, crafting, etc.

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I request that the size of conversation box be resizable. I would immediately expand it horizontally so that the big run on paragraphs aren't too cluttered to read.

It might as well be movable too, some people will prefer that.

I would also like to change font/window color. I really prefer lighter windows, such as the journal and recipe book. I'm just not as Goth as the chat window/NPC window wants me to be I guess.

It would be nice if we weren't using the tiny arrow to move between sets of responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.