New game: Grinding of the Avatar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bahamut Arc, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Were alright Jack, but keep your hands off my stack...

Meaning all the older players will have oodles of XP, gear, skills, resources while new players will not or ever, meaning a massive divide between all the players of today and new players. With all these changes coming in, harder boss's, less resources as in mines, and who knows what else, all the players that have up till now got these advantages will be keeping them and any new players will have to work 10* harder, 10* longer to get to where people are as of today. What's happening as of today after the post mortem?... i bet anyone with a spoon is out mining, silly not too of course as otherwise you losing out as you know what's around the corner.
    Human nature of course but that is not an attractive scenario for anyone looking to enter the game and not feel disadvantaged, the game already has a reputation with money invested giving a big advantage but by also having all the founding players, leaps and bounds ahead in all fields with a much easier start than what they will be undertaking. Yes u will all be kings of your castle, but that's all there will ever be Kings...... as the peasants wont wanna play...

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This I think is one of our most serious subjects here, because once a player reaches their limits in what they like to do, it's only whatever was most enjoyable to be Zen grinded from their on that retains their enjoyment.

Maybe their body parts can make for super plant fertilizer? What is there, other than the enjoyment of the game?

I had an idea once that sort of fit this, but I just present it here because it may spur others for their different ideas.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-of-names-an-assassins-quest-item-pole.15512/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-box-pvp-stretch-goal-discussions-more.11588/

I'm also thinking that when a player reaches top GM level of (a certain number of skills), that they could even be able to trade in their avatar, keeping the skills, and being able to "shrink themselves" down to the size of a kid if they wanted, which could provide a sort of more challenging game from themselves.

[​IMG]

But like I said, I hope from these you could see something more for the "game" in having reached your limits.
    It's always better to suggest with specifics than it is to just talking about what causes our frustrations. It's ok to have frustrations, but that's where I find mystery in trying to find out what's coming, from the signs I see already here.
    So this was some of my thinking.

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Stundorn and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Well said!

Tiki Pirate and Time Lord like this.
  4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Have you tried Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat? no grinding at all!

2112Starman and Time Lord like this.
  5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I just thought: porta maybe expect us to be mature i and self controlled about what we do, how we enjoy a game and maybe experienced enough in what we do with this particular sandbox.
    And hell I believe if we support them, they will do what they are doing the last year's and what i can have seen the last month in an admirable way. If this would be a beta with such huge patches, such good informations and communication its one of the best early accesses i partaked.
    Yes of course there could always be more, but also be less. I am still very optimistic about the game and we may be all a little impatient about some things , one about PvP, others about quests or sandbox features. What we constantly have is add on store items, but hey this is how we finance the game.
    I will continue buying this and that, maybe to just sell it for igg that others who cannot pay rm for it can get it for igg.
    Just to promote the Devs and this cool game.
    And it is a cool game. Even @Arc who now is at that point the most of us was in this or that way and maybe still are or will become again is someone who seems to feel love for it , romantic memory's about Ultima's and such and he and a lot of us complain about grind, imbalance and such and we are waiting for it to be finished, polished and perfect , having high expectations , having high measures when comparing to TESO or UO or whatever game that has evolved over many years or a 10 times budget.
    Maybe the grind is something we need to stop the majority from getting to the end until launch, but it always feel like the majority do it either way and is unstoppable because they are just hungry and thurtsy about a game like this, about be strong and mighty in this new world of new brittania, the new world created from the legendary Lord British and his Companions.
    I believe they wish they could present us a well polished and balanced Environment where we can immerse and do what we love to do.
    The one who gathers and craft to the top, the others who fight or compete to the top and again others who socialize and roleplay.
    We all do all aspects of it more or less, even the hardcore villain PvPer do it. They decorates their keep entries with skulls and bones from pvp and stick together against all others , maybe roleplay their way. Others love Fashion or Danceparties with pinky wings, again others do it more "serious" and all that.

Yes it's grindy, yes it's imbalanced in some way, yes it's not polished, it's alot not, but it is something special to the most of us and many players do not actually play the game but they have not yet turned the backs on the matter, they have hope and don't give up supporting the devs, giving feedback for many years.
    I may not the dedicated gamer to say this, but it sure feels a little bit especial and unique.

Well we need more varied content and quests and such to feel less grind and doing the same all day long.
    I think it just needs more time.
    Those who want to go through the seven hell's of grind let them do it and provide feedback. All the others let us find our individual way to enjoy the game and provide feedback and ideas as well.

I read elswhere that someone ask to downscale in the postmortem to have still a challenge when supporting new players and they seem to pick the idea up while having fun about such an idea.
    This is great I think and there are lots of ideas when @Berek @Chris @DarkStarr or others answered in the forums that this is a great idea and will be suggested. They will do it if they can, no doubt they are gamer nerds like us ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Retro and Time Lord like this.
  6. Sator Faryn

Sator Faryn Avatar

For me it's not grinding as I don't find the game tedious or boring. I've only been playing for a year. I don't have GM in anything. On average I play 1 hr a day.

Most of my time is spent traveling between my shops and updating prices and restocking. Other times I'm decorating my POT and or shops. Then I'll read in the forums and build up a list of things I want to test or try after each release. I've done a few of the starter quests. I was going to wait to do most after release. But I've read we will be able to reset the quest logs. So this week I've started to pick back up on completing quests and finding more quests.

I'm just living and loving it in Shroud of the Avatar. But I do see and pass those that grind and grind. What ever the reason I hope they are enjoying their time.

Now a couple of years ago I got very sick with the shingles. I found that playing Elder Scrolls Online for 17 hours straight helped ease the pain. I even held onto first place in a big PvP campaign for two days just before I went back to work. But I also burned out on ESO and even to this day I hardly ever play it. It's now a tedious grind.

I suspect SotA could also become the same for me, which is why I play it in moderation. I don't care about my skills or knowing what is my level. I'm not trying to get GM. I just play it to relax and visit with a few friends. And it's also fun when my two children play and join me on some adventures.

Sator

Stundorn, Fiero, 2112Starman and 3 others like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well put and this leads back to question of what next after a player has everything? I don't use but a fraction of all my rewards and just have most taking up bank space. I did GM a chr and found myself in a place of boredom. So this chr is taking one of the newer pathways and being restricted. I won't use magic except what is necessary for healing, no regs with an agriculture path and possibly a stealthy path for gathering fertilizer.

And what will we do when our Tesla Rifles work o_O?
    [​IMG]

I do have another, yet unused account, but I'm sort of saving that because my efforts though this path may not pan out as changes are made to the game.
    I like the challenging paths. I have no cash right now because it all went into building plant farms, to see how many plants I can care for without going crazy, yet still having time for the gathering of fertilizer, or other gathering from places my chr's abilities can't contend with the monsters there.

We must challenge ourselves as well as having our game challenge us.
    Those rewards are almost a game killer for me, but I needed/wanted the tax free 4 properties and 5 POTs to add flexibility.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

8. BigCountry

BigCountry Avatar

OP nailed it. The only real saving grace is new players. Oh wait...

9. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

From farting rainbow unicorns. Where else

10. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Sir, you are almost right. But if you want to kill the last boss from Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, ohh boy, you need to grind. You need to play again, and again, and get better. You need to know how to fight and use powers at the right time. You need to do combos. You cant just smash your control and hope to kill M. Bison or Shao Kahn. You need to grind. But again, thats little grinding and im ok with that. In Grinding of the Avatar, I already killed all the bosses out there. I killed that damn Chest mimic from The Risen that gave me 6 gold coins... I have been playing games my whole life. Hell, i finished the game battletoads without using any cheats. When i say Grinding of the Avatar have a massive grinding system (thats only to reach lvl 120... expect lvl 200), im being honest. Thats a grinding beyond limits. If you are ok with the Grinding, and you dont want to play to be a Gm or more, well, congratulations, you Achieve Inner Peace.

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I killed Bison 25 years ago at Crazyball Billard Hall with 1 Deutsche Mark by just hammering the hardware like an insane kid. Ok there was some skill. I have a madcat stick at home which is the same hardware that was build in the Super Street fighter 2 Gambling Machine .
    Hadoken - Shoryuken - hap plak plak plook plak :D

Arc and Time Lord like this.
  12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We can be critical about the game and are more than happy to have those discussions of course, but satires like this doesn't really ask a question or have a focused topic. The thread will only encourage flamebaiting and derail with so many points trying to be made around other statements, making it very difficult for us to respond to anything effectively. A few things we can respond too now:

Regarding grinding and balance concerns with gameplay mechanics, we hear you! These systems are being reviewed constantly right now. In fact, we've taken some great feedback from the community just this past week regarding the R40 economy, mining, and combat around mines. That's just one specific piece off the top of my head that I can express as trying to resolve issues with grinding. I would review the Announcements section, and others here in the forums for dev responses on these subjects.

I would also suggest a separate thread on that we can better respond too, starting with reviewing the forums for any existing threads on the topic. I've seen some pass by my news feed the last couple of weeks, so a few are actively out there.​

Devs: I love them all. No matter how many times we post that we dont like that much Grinding(a little is ok), they dont care and they will ignore you. Thats great. They are losing players everyday to even new games out there but they dont care. They want you grinding forever in this game. You dont need other games, job or family. Thats the greatest thing about the Grinding of the Avatar.

While there seems to be multiple statements in the thread OP, but to address one specifically, we very much care about the players, and respond all the time to you! Most of the community sees this with our postmortems and constant responses here in the forums. If we're missing something though, please let us know.
    Also a fun fact, we've gained many players over the last several months through the recent Free Trial tests and other programs, and a big part of the success of that effort is through community support. Veteran and new players are coming together and seeing the results with more new players coming into their towns. We will be doing more here to promote the game and get even more new players in once our marketing efforts around Launch are ready to begin. Right now we're focusing on finishing Episode 1.

I would like to see us support the game in this way please, instead of just a blanket unfounded statement.

We're going to keep this thread closed. Please repost any specific topics you wish to discuss in existing threads, or feel free to create new ones! If anyone has questions on what and how to best post a topic in the forums, I'm happy to clarify common rules & guidelines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.