1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

New Housing FAQ and Housing Article on Polygon

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erth

Erth Legend of the Hearth

@Goblin King
    I have re-written a couple of responses to your posts about pvp and player housing and kept deleting them instead of posing then. I think I decided instead just to share this...

You might be over thinking this. Simple reason why: banks. We are all going to have access to a bank. And unless RG allows us to rob banks, then every single player of the game will have a way to protect their "wealth."

To others about house protection questions:

RG stated that those who are willing to take more risks in the game are eligible for greater rewards. He mentioned in this same interview that it MIGHT be likely that there could be some sort of setting in this risk reward structure that could leave your home vulnerable, and mentioned how their could be different levels of protection you could put on/in your home for this type of play style.

Goblin King likes this.
  2. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I suppose I could have missed a thread over in the Dev+ Forum as I haven't been too interested due to the lack of happenings there recently. I don't actually remember seeing any housing discussion involving Lori and Tina... Discisson on the SotA website and FAQ yes, but none involving TIna and Lori. Could someone point me in the direction of that posting?

It just strikes me odd that the Devs would just give two backers permission to start doing interviews with other people, I mean really what do us backers know? How could they trust backers to answer questions? Unless those questions were pre-approved or taken care of in that forum discussion I can't seem to locate? Were Lori and Tina given additional information that even the Dev+ users didn't have access to?

This smells funny.

3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

A lot of different perspectives on the purpose of housing keep getting raised and it's hard to keep them all straight. I wonder really what the "purpose" is at its core or what the priority of various purposes is.

So far we've got (in broad categories not specifics):
    Storage
    Safety
    Personal Decoration/Creativity
    Prestige
    Gold Sink
    Vendors
    Crafting
    Support for Friends/Others
    Guilds
    Role-Play (Becoming part of the world)

Can you review this list, and then I'll put a poll up and ask people to check those priorities that are important to them....

Goblin King likes this.
  4. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Erth, I remember hearing the RG statements...

That doesn't really help lessen my concerns though. I'm not sure that the devs have thought all this out yet. The FAQ's seem a little half-baked to me. That's ok, we're in the development phase so that's completely understandable. It doesn't mean I shouldn't be concerned though.

5. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

@TEK

My questions didn't really get answered.

But I'll be happy to answer your question about UO. I didn't play very much UO, I thought it was a horrible game. It wasn't designed well and created large holes in accountability which ultimately led to its defeat in the MMO marketplace. Instead of spending my time playing a poorly designed game, I moved on.

I never had a house in UO, in fact I don't think that I even realized people could own their own homes when I played.

I can understand why some people might enjoy creating a trophy case for themselves in the form of a house. It also makes sense that they'd want a lot of people to visit and see their trophy case. But it doesn't make sense why someone that uses a home for protection in PVP would want all people having access to their home. Maybe it would make more sense if we had more details, but we don't so we're just guessing at all this.

What I was saying in my original posts was that this lack of clairity is very concerning. Because game developers have a long history of coming up short of the fans assumptions, I never assume that the developers of any game will "do the right thing" or "have it all figured out". I prefer to see it writing, and then see it in the game.

I know this is difficult for people like DarkStarr that are actually doing the heavy lifting here. The devs can't please everyone, and sometimes they can't please anyone. But I'm not asking these questions to be a jerk, I'm asking because I want the best game possible.

I'm always amazed at the people that blindly soak in all the developer comments and just assume that what they think they read they acutally read. The time to ask these questions is now while the game is being made...once the game is released it will be 100 times more difficult to get anything changed or tweaked.

Caliya, wagram and Erth like this.
  6. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Pfft. No.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/concerned-about-housing.3301/#post-52026

I and Lori, and one other, were asked quickly - in a PM in chat for me -- in an email or something for the other two, if we would do it. I was shocked and nervous, but agreed. I was asked what email I would like a reporter to have, so I thought the interview might be via questions in an email and replied to, but no. I got an email from Starr Long [also addressed to the other two fans] regarding the reporter and interview, the reporter's Skype name, and was asked when I would be 'free' for a chat on Skype. I was babysitting and sweaty at the time, haha,... just being honest -- but had already agreed, so... I got the mom to come home, jumped in a shower, fluffed my hair and slapped a bit of makeup on and did the Skype interview.

I've played the Ultimas, played UO with a large guild, watched all the livestreams, and hung out in chat -- a lot -- and was an early backer. Other than that, I'm no more 'privy' to facts than anyone else. Oh, and the third SOTA 'fan' who was invited to interview,... not sure what happened with that exactly...but he didn't make it in, obviously.

7. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Insane - I know you like to stir up trouble, but it's getting tiresome. I and other community members were asked if we were interested in talking to Colin for a few minutes about housing, and it was time sensitive (needed to be done that evening as the article had a deadline). I said sure and gave Colin my number and he called, asked a few questions about my opinions on limited housing. Done. Starr did not screen anything and didn't even have any idea what my opinion on housing is, which is just another sign of how awesome this team is. I'm sorry you feel the need to stir up junk where none exists.

8. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Dame Lori likes this.
  9. rild

rild Avatar

I think it's really cool that members from the forums were asked to participate in the article.

I would fully expect Lori to be include because she runs Forsaken Virtues, a leading fan site. She has already taken it upon herself to keep the community up to date with news highlights and concisely summarized information. Fireangel participates quite frequently and is recognizable on these forums as someone who takes it upon herself to be well-informed, often asking pointed questions of the devs. Also, doesn't Fireangel live in Oklahoma?

When they do an article about crowdsourcing Unity assets, I imagine they'll talk to Grnarrow & Bowen & Grant & HairyMan and the people who participate in the scene competition.

Totally enjoyed the article, by the way - it was much more in-depth than I thought it would be. The details about research into the land rush are just the sort of thing I want to hear, and I hope RG & Starr will share more insightful tidbits. Just like with the telethon, it's exciting to see Portalarium, and now media sources, recognize the SotA community and embrace the methods of this project. I hope to see more of this.

10. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Thanks rild :) I imagine the writer said he wanted his article to be from the viewpoint of players and so I reckon Starr chose people he could bet were up to date with SotA progress and were easily/quickly accessible. We provided personal opinions, not game information. I'm honored to have been considered.

smack, Koldar, nightshadow and 2 others like this.
  11. stile

stile Avatar

Freedom of speech. Portalarium has zero say on who can interview who in the states. If someone was to state invalid information then portalarium has the right to sue for libel (as opposed to slander, because its in print).

So long as what they state is an opinion or based on actual information, theres no lawsuit.

I could go on national tv and be interviewed about SotA, and Portarium has no say in it.

So wether they have additional information, did it with or without permission, etc is all irrelevant.

The only relevant aspect for portalarium would be "did they say anything untrue and if so do we wish to sue?"

12. stile

stile Avatar

I guess im saying politely.. Its not really your business.. I dont mean that in a negative or attacking way.. Only that anyone has the right to question any backer, or anyone else, and it doesn't require permission from a dev or secret information. *shrugs*. They are vocal community members, known to have backed hi, lori publishes news and got a spotlight.. Why wouldn't people come to them with questions would be odd.. Not the other way around. Lori especially is known as someone that usually doesn't say something unless its positive.. And therefore makes a good choice.

Just my opinion

Dame Lori likes this.
  13. G Din

G Din Avatar

You smell funny :)

OMG !!!! 2 Backers were asked some questions about Housing in SotA !!!! Conspiracy !!!! This is insane !!! (no pun intended).

14. stile

stile Avatar

Im just jealous i wasnt contacted *sniff*

Koldar and Fireangel like this.
  15. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

You're posts must be too controversial. ;)

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  16. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

I don't know if "stir up trouble" is exactly the wording I would use, but yeah I do have some questions.

If the connection between Tina and Lori to Colin was not initiated through Portalarium by any means then it is mostly fine, and I wouldn't have complained.
    If the connection between Tina and Lori to Colin was setup via Portalarium or someone who works for Portalarium off the books then there is an issue.

The second option there with an issue, as stated by Lori "Starr chose," was selected. Dev+ backers should be considered off limits for random questioning, which is why I had asked if pre-approved questions were signed off on. We Dev+ backers do have access to some information the rest of the community does not, granted not very much, but if the wrong information is returned to the interviewer it then becomes public. Again at the moment the Dev+ forum really isn't anything special, but this sets an early precident as to what can be allowed. Further down the track if/when there ever is any sensitive information in the Dev+ forums, you guys want someone to spill the beans?

As for the "secret information" thing as you put it, no, interviewing a Dev+ backer wouldn't require the backer to have any "secret information." But then neither would interviewing a normal backer or a non-backer for that matter! If that Dev+ backer didn't have access to more information than any other Dev+ backer had then why was someone Dev+ selected? I don't remember seeing "giving interviews" anywhere in the reward tiers, do you?

Certainly I can understand why somenoe like me wasn't selected to be interviewed and I'm not sore about that lul, but why were Lori and Tina? Why Dev+ backers? No offense here but I do know plenty of people on the forum(both dev and non-dev) who have better ideas, opinions, and experience with housing than the two people selected. Those points could have been presented to the interviewer to enrich that article in any number of ways.

In short I believe the selection process going forward for this kind of thing when directed via Portalarium needs to be reviewed and exposed to the entire SotA community. Everyone here(except me, duh) should have a chance to contribute their expertise if they have it, this is after all a crowdsource venture, not a "who do I like I can get to talk" venture.

17. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

It's probably because of their visible and long-standing involvement since Kickstarter on the forums and chat, experience in UO, and their function as an auxillary PR arm for Portalarium? *shrug* I dunno; but good on them just the same although I think Goblin King should have been the third interviewee for a more critical perspective. Just sayin...

Sir Stile Teckel and Dame Lori like this.
  18. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

That was a great article and gave some good insight as to how the land rush will happen and ideas of what we should look for when scoping out land options during the beta.
    I would like to see more information about this as I find it a complicated subject & I still have questions like can we rezone to a new lot should it be available.
    Will there be enough water front property for everyone that is KS entitled to a House Boat, Lighthouse or Cabana or may some people miss out.

Update: Well I reread the FAQ and found out we can choose one lot during the release window time period so it sounds like it will be locked in for a while but I presume we will be able to relocate this in time perhaps at a fee.

rild and Dame Lori like this.
  19. dynastichero

dynastichero Avatar

While I really like the concept of this game and I pleged towards it because I want to play it, I'm not "$150+" for housing 'into it'. Am I going to get totally screwed because I didn't shell out $500 for a game that was only in its conceptual stage to guaratee me housing?

Caliya likes this.
  20. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

In no way will you need housing to play the storyline of the game. It is an extra, a perk, the cream cheese frosting.

If you want to buy land in game, with in game currency, you can - provided there are plots left. The original idea was that the game map(and number of plots) would double with each new part of the game. If you miss out on the initial land grab, you can potentially get some with one of the subsequent releases.

If you want to buy land with real money gauranteeing you a plot of land, that is what they are selling right now. If you want to upgrade your pledge to the $500/$550 level (gauranteeing you a plot of land), that is still avaiable too.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.