New Inky Commands

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Owsley, Oct 21, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

I see that loading and saving variable data is coming soon (in QC?). Does this open up the potential for variable namespace collisions?

If Player A and Player B both save Inky variables named VarX, will they collide and overwrite each other?

If so, we Inky programmers need to establish a naming convention that will create a uniqueifier to prevent collisions. We should agree upon some standard like using out character name or account login as a prefix or suffix on any saved session variables.

Ideally it would be nice if the Inky system automatically attached some uniqueifier (based on the author of the scripts) to any saved variable.

Time Lord, Tirrag and that_shawn_guy like this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I would hope this is something that could be enforced game side with a manual override.

example:
    "VarX" would internally track as <filepath_filename>-VarX
    If the script explicitly call <filepath_filename>-VarX and that var exists, track that internally

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

Even then you could have collisions if the scripts are named the same (have the same file name).
    I guess we need to know the details to prevent this from happening.

Time Lord and that_shawn_guy like this.
  4. that_shawn_guy

Well, it would be the path inside the "Lua" folder and file name. But, yes. collisions would still be possible. But, having the community separate by folder name already seem to be the unwritten standard.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

If Player A and Player B both write scripts and you interact with their conversationalists, don't the variables HAVE to go in a common or known folder for any of this to work?

Time Lord and that_shawn_guy like this.
  6. that_shawn_guy

:oops: Ignore everything I said. Got my conversations crossed. Cleary, I need more coffee.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

8. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

I was referring to when he said " Due to risks involved with players serializing unlimited unknown data to our servers, we are only storing data in the local datastore on the computer "

So that should mean that there shouldn't be a problem with other peoples scrips interfering with each other ?????

At least that's how it reads to me.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

No. What he’s saying is all the variable data is stored on the client, not the servers.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

From what I know the variables will only be stored local to the client. meaning that your setting for variable will your own so you will not see anyone else. Now the question is are all variables stored in files for each npc or one global. if global I see an issue of overwrites from others who use same naming of variables. @Chris

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

I’m hoping the data can be shared by NPCs which will open up the ability to create quest chains. For example, “talk” to the first NPC, it directs you to a 2nd NPC which in turn can retrieve data from the first conversation.

Barugon and Time Lord like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you're able to save it to the local machine then I'm pretty sure that the next NPC will be able to read it.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

I’ve successfully shared data among three conversationalists in my Aerie dungeon.
    I’ve also added logic that will vary some responses based on your truth virtue.

I would like some feedback, especially by someone with negative virtue.

There are three conversationalists:
    • Librarian in the Foyer
    • Abbot in the Scribe Room
    • Director in the Upper Annex
    The test scenario is to ignore the Librarian and engage one of the others. They should tell you that you need to check-in with the librarian (you are missing your visitor badge)

After that, talk to the librarian. She will ask you your name, check you in, and provide information about the Abbey. After check-in any subsequent conversations with the librarian will result in her recognizing you.

Next, talk to the Abbot. He’ll inform you of the current situation in the Abbey and you will make a decision about why you are there.

Finally, visit the director in the upper annex. He will provide additional information about events currently taking place in the Abbey. At some point in the conversation you may have the option to ask the director to “sneak” you into an off limits area. This is the point where your virtue comes into play. Different levels of virtue will result in different results.

Any feedback is appreciated.
    The Sword of Midras Library and Abbey

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Xee and that_shawn_guy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.