New(ish) player grumblings...

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Graemalkyn, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graemalkyn

Graemalkyn Avatar

Chose to play a caster. Researches buff potions.

Str = bear heads. All over everywhere. Also used to make low lvl hats.

Dex = corp claws. Still fairly common, not too terribly difficult to come by. Also used in one cooking recipe, but you can get the same food buff using the tails instead, if you’d rather save the claws for the potions.

Int = lich skulls. “High-tier liches.” (sotawiki). Don’t know where to find these. Can’t say I’ve ever run into one, and unsure I could kill it if I did. Also used to make high demand end-game helms. Seriously?

*takes a look at food*

*ZERO* 2hr *OR* 4hr Int buff food. COME ON!!!

>.<

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Are you are training up your INT stat?

3. Graemalkyn

Graemalkyn Avatar

If you mean Enlightenment in the Sun tree, then yes.

4. Graemalkyn

Graemalkyn Avatar

In asking around, I’ve been told basically that you can mostly ‘farm’ lich skulls in only one zone (Deep Ravenswood), and the drop rate is “pretty rare” (I’m guessing because they’re also used for fancy end-game helms that you would WANT to be rare and valueable.)

A mat for a 10 min. Int pot, though, should be as easily obtainable, and roughly as valuable, as those for the Str and Dex.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Witcheypoo likes this.
  5. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Did you try the stag headdress ?

LoneStranger likes this.
  6. Graemalkyn

Graemalkyn Avatar

I’m wearing an Epic Cloth helm +9. Though it’s awesome the community is offering up suggestions, I’m not really seeking “help, I need more Int.” My point is more toward game balance? As someone who has only recently joined the game, and who desires to play as a magic user, it seems wildly unfair that the mat for a Str pot is super common and valued at 35g each, the mat for a Dex pot is nearly as common and valued at 50g each, but the mat for an Int pot is a ‘rare drop’ valued at somewhere around 800g? (Bear Head and Corp Claw values taken from BMC price guide.)

Equally unfair (or unbalanced, what have you), is seven 2hr food buffs that break down into: 3 dex, 2 str, 2 str + dex, and NO int...six 4hr food buffs that break down into str, dex, and str + dex, NO int.

Been playing going on 4 months now, and adventure level 75, so experienced enough to make these observations, but NOT experienced enough to know how to go through ‘proper channels’ to let any pertinent parties know “this is not cool.” A 10 min int buff should not cost (or be worth) 16x more than a 10 min dex buff.

(Unless there is a legit reason this lack of Int buff stuff is “intended” in which case I am not clued in to what that reason might be.)

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Witcheypoo and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I think I remember that intelligence buffs had to be limited because spell casters already have attunement bonuses for their spells (something that weapon users don't have). Also, spell casters can use dexterity and strength buffs in order to improve dodge and health, like everyone else. But I agree that, as it is, intelligence potions and food are just useless and could be deleted.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I remember hearing that the lack of INT foods is due to the damage output related to INT increases. There are a couple foods which offer INT increase, but only 1 INT and lasts only 1 hour; I think they are Darkstarr Fried Oysters and Ardoris Coleslaw. These are much easier to make than the Acumen Potion, which requires the lich skull. As others have stated there are various ways of getting your INT higher without buffs. There is a +5 INT Town Blessing(Truth), Enlightenment, INT Innate skill, various artifacts offer INT increases as well. With Enlightenment you can also raise your INT bonus by raising Sun Attunement. It will raise the INT bonus for Enlightenment by .1 for every point of attunement raised. I don't think this starts at 1 Enlightenment, and I'm not sure where it starts, but at a point you can squeeze more INT out of Enlightenment by raising your attunement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.