Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Masterworks, in particular the +30 Focus Regeneration Hood, imbalance report

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by parallelogram, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If nothing opens up beyond the ones at 50, the best thing to do is level it to 49/50, and get the +2 crit rate and +5 crit rate damage, then up it to 50, and get the ability you want, hopefully. Once your above 50, your chance of getting +2 crit and +5 crit damage goes down drastically, for you have about 10 new options that can be chosen from for the 3 that do get chosen.

2. agra

agra Avatar

Yet another reason random effects are terrible design. Good on you for spending the time & effort on this stuff, Jezebel.

3. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

I
    Ac
    Many thanks to @Jezebel Caerndow for his commitment to further crafting, he has really pushed the limits this release with all the new features.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok I looked at the picture and I am still trying to make one but am not even close to the 50 in cloth, but I also see the possibility that you get +30 in a combination of a few different + to focus bonuses from Enchanting and masterworking. I do not see it as +30 from one masterwork / enchantment. But in making other tiems I have seen +10 come up more than once from different attempts and selections - so the +30 does seem like somthign that could be achieved.

Now some real feedback - this item was made with ALOT of effort in all it take to gather the resources, ALOT of thought into the skills selected. GOOD for the crafter and the owner - -

This is EACATLY what a robust creative crafting system should look like. The balance is NOT in reducing the properties, The players are already saying they get killed while using this soo who cares if oyu can maintain your focus but still die - you need to make you suit more suited and balanced, not balance the game around your suit.

This was not +30 from one masterwork this was from ALOT fo work to master work this pieces YEAH.

My error was thinking this was one property, If it was then defiantly a BUG, but since it looks like it is a combination AWSOME. You sacrificed other skills and durability to have nothing but + Focus Regen on your pieces - again A W S O M E. Great work.

Developers you do not need to adjust the game because players have worked out and p[ut effort into tweaking their items within the boundaries of the crafting mechanics. Adjust them ever so slightly and tweak durability or scale so properties are lessened when durability drops.

This is exactly the crafting system you devised and need in this game - the ability to customize your piece to your needs.

If players want to die with full focus let them. If they want to have full health but reach a point where they cannot cast any spells let them.

Now if as stated a clear imbalance is seen - LEACVE it alone until after pub 32 and see what happens when players have to play the game as intended. do not adjust for things like this.

StarLord likes this.
  5. agra

agra Avatar

"the ability to customize" and random effects don't go together. o_O

StarLord likes this.
  6. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

Weins, +30 focus regen was 1 masterwork. It's super over powered no matter how you look at it. That one masterwork beats out the regen you get out of a GMed passive stance. That's not right lol.

Anyway, I believe it was a mistake and it's going to drop down to +3 come R32.

Sara Dreygon and Lazlo like this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

if it is +30 on one skill then it deffinatly is a mistake I am almost 50 1/2 from 49 to 50 now and will see.

And as stated if it comes out as one skill I will post a bug report with pics, this deffinatly should not be one skill buff, not a chance.

Almost there :)

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yes, it is only one masterwork that gets the +30 focus regen. When combined with chaotic feedback, shield of air, or even torpid torment on yourself, when you stop using skills for a few seconds, you will start to regen the focus, and if one of those 3 abilities are going when you do this, you do not only gain focus, but you gain health as well. When I do passive stance with chaotic feedback running, I gain 52 focus AND hp per second. Literally, I can come from 0 focus and 50 hp, to full 800+ hp and focus, in 10+ seconds. No reason to ever touch life magic.

9. agra

agra Avatar

Sure, but to be objective, your damage output is ~nothing at that point. Yes, it may be powerful, but at the same time, even without the helm, what you've described is possible, to a degree, with a GM in passive stance.
    And as always, videos or logs would be great, especially if the logs show the regen. Only reason I say this is because impressions are often colored by personal bias or feelings, while the video or log are unbiased. I'm not saying you can't be unbiased, but by the math, ~50 or focus per second should require ~16 seconds, not 10, to recover 800.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ya, my computer would probably explode if I made a video. Maybe I can get para to make a video showing the regen. I just said 10+ seconds, the ticks seem to maybe be a faster then each second.

Jackdepirate and agra like this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

My understanding was that the +30 focus regen hood was added to balance off the horrible, unplayable nerf to focus costs also implemented in R31.
    It *almost* brings you back up to where you were, pre-nerf, regen-wise.
    I'm more than happy for them to remove or nerf the hood, provided that the core focus costs are re-examined as they are still way too high.
    I'd actually prefer that the costs be reasonable, rather than 'fixable' by acquiring a difficult-to-craft helmet with a crappy success chance to even make.

Dariog and Jackdepirate like this.
  12. Jackdepirate

Jackdepirate Avatar

I thought the same thing as well initially. Maybe a scaling focus cost based on skill level for the skills affected could be a solution.

Jezebel Caerndow likes this.
  13. agra

agra Avatar

They have that already. The scale is just too punitive at the moment. (imho)

Dariog and Jezebel Caerndow like this.
  14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Fister magee did some testing of making a new character, and seeing if the new focus costs were just to high to do anything and he was still able to play as normal. It does scale as you up the skills. as mid way test would be nice.

Fister Magee likes this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm not sure what qualifies as mid level, I'm level 75-ish have a couple of spells GM'd and the costs are horrible, running out of focus every fight. Last week or so have tried different variations in spell use but all with same result. I don't think a single low level test really tells us much, I too would like to see more data.
    The "broken" hood made mage playable again, nearly at the R30 levels (bearing in mind there were additional nerfs to mages other than the focus cost which was just not necessary).

I originally was absolutely shocked at such a significant increase in costs, but then when we found the hoods it more or less explained it, fair enough, lets make it based on gear.
    But that's why this gear is here, to balance the focus nerf. All I'm saying is if you want the gear nerfed instead, put the focus costs back where they were, or fix mage weapons to actually do something when autoattacking.

16. Xail

Xail Avatar

I know a little bit out of thread...but please give us some colour on this!!! ....getting excited... :) ...other stuff besides life drain?

17. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

I agree completely that focus costs are excessive now. The only thing I can add is that it is possible to compensate for this, even without the hood. But I have level 90 and GM's in all the Air spells; and even so I still die sometimes in areas that used to be easy for me. My point is, they still need to adjust those focus costs significantly downward.

18. agra

agra Avatar

There is definitely a point at which the value of increasing the skill on the glyph is outweighed by increased focus cost, especially the focus cost while moving in combat. In some cases, it's well over 20 focus per cast if you've recently moved in combat, and the glyph skill is over 75. There's no way to describe that other than grossly punitive, when your focus pool is under 300.
    Playing the bulk of the game in this fashion is not fun, entertaining, nor will it attract a larger demographic. Poor design, poor implementation, poor communication. All bad.
    Not a single patch note that the focus costs were going to change, nor what they were changing from, nor what they were changing to. It took three threads on the forums to get one glib response from Chris. Yay? :(
    Stealth nerfs like this create nothing but negativity and mistrust.

Dariog likes this.
  19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Some good input here. I got a thread about gem procs and how to get them xail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.