Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New movement/targeting system !

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Spinok, Apr 28, 2016.

?

Do you like the new movement/targeting system

1. yes

2. no

3. undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

This is exactly what they should do, we are almost there anyways why not go just a little step further.. all they need to do is add the old Tab button to another key ( So we can cycle through the enemies like before ) and make it assignable so we can add to any button we choose too..

Just fix up the new system and make an addition or two to make the options to revert to the old system better feel like the old system.. and everyone is happy.. everyone wins :)

2. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yeah, it hardly seemed worth mentioning last night, but taking a key we were all used to pressing frequently in combat and making it do something so drastically different was a poor choice.

Osiris3 likes this.
  3. Corazon

Corazon Avatar

I really like it. As a melee build I find it so much better, to me it feels more natural. I can run and strafe around enemies so much easier. I struggled to before, so just ended up standing there, pushing numbers when a skill came into my bar. It got pretty boring. I imagine it would be a lot harder to get used to for mages though.

Soliwilos and Tahru like this.
  4. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I agree with you on this point.

What's the problem with giving tab target as an option checkbox to those that want it? Options are good. Let people play the way they want, more options=more happy people, imo. :)

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I really like this new mode as well, and after I turned off the thing that automatically switches my mode, it's a lot better to me. I'd rather manually choose my mode, and often switch based on wether I'm trying to gather (interactive mode) or just kill stuff (target mode).. but the auto-chooser is wonky and switches me at odd times during combat and looting (it get's stuck in the alternate mode, and doesn't always switch to the one I was using).

Aiming took a bit to get used to, but found using autoattack made aiming faster and more useful than the old mode. This goes for both modes of interaction. Just turn my reticle, and I'm attacking where I'm facing, simple. Something gets in the way, it gets targeted instead. Which is a huge improvement to how I'd lose targets in the old system, which was totally broken imo.

One problem is that a target's nameplate doesn't stay up (maybe add a delay to remove the nameplate after it has been targeted?) and the angle to aim that reticle to show that nameplate is too low, and I have to point my face to the gound to get that nameplate in view (note: aiming and attacking have not stopped even tho the nameplate has disappeared! just keep within reasonable combat distance for your chosen weapon).

I think this is a perfect move in the right direction, and with further fixes, noone can complain if they take the time to learn how the system is working. Turn off the auto-switch thingy, it caused me more headache than anything, and it is easy to switch my mode manually.

@Chris and Team: Beautiful job! I am having a great time with the new combat system. Still getting used to how the mouse moves with buttons differently between both modes, but things are looking great!

Acred and Insinious FizzleThorpe like this.
  6. Gix

Gix Avatar

@Chris

The Good:
    • It's intuitive and more engaging than before.
    • It remembers the last place where my cursor was. Very nice for when UI elements tend to pop in the same places.
    The Bad:
    • There's still a few bugs regarding interacting with characters and objects in the world. I'll do a proper bug report.
    • Being in a conversation with an NPC is a bit awkward. Considering the keywords are clickable, the cursor (at least when the automated toggle is activated) should pop up as if it was any other UI window.
    The Ugly:
    • There's still an awkward delay between the moment I click-n-hold and when the game registers that I'm trying to charge an attack... to the point that sometimes it won't even register at all. This has nothing to do with the actual targeting changes but it's something that I thought would be rectified.
    Suggestion:
    • Since the Tab key is a toggle between cursor and mouse-look, I believe it'd be nice that the Tab would also toggle UI elements. So that when you tab out of mouse-look, your inventory or maps would pop back out.

7. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

hate it, hate it, hate it
    cant target my pet to heal it, cant target a party member to heal them, cant target myself to heal myself
    combat is all jumbled up, have to use every single key available to me to do it
    stand there in front of a enemy while they beat on me trying to figure out how to hit them, then i die
    this is aweful, makes combat frustrating and a downright torture -- tried turning it off, that only made things worse
    maybe instead of taking an enormous amount of time making combat such a mess, time could have been spent making new areas (not copies of areas we already have) and some new monsters to kill -- you know, add some interest to the game instead of making it an exercise in masochism.

had to actually take a break so that my whole post didnt look like this: "@#$%!!"

8. Noric

Noric Avatar

Much as this would improve things for me individually, people are actually using the other viewing mode for combat and this change would be a big issue for them.

9. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

i agree!
    and im feeling so .... upset .. about this I'm going to need a six-pack just to calm down... and I haven't sunk near what you have into the game -- but still a lot for me.

Osiris3 and E n v y like this.
  10. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

The amount of camera movement when doing this breaks immersion. To move the target from one object to a nearby object causes the camera to move a much greater-than-expected distance (given the length of the arc the camera travels on increases with distance from the focal point). A lot of times this small change can end up putting the camera behind some arbitrary object. This can create a very jarring experience.

I can't even begin to imagine how I'm supposed to target something, move (using wasd) and click on a card in my deck at the same time. I feel like this change is going to really dumb-down combat, and significantly degrade the deck system. The explicit single target combined with the dealt deck was really starting to get interesting, but now it just feels broken.

Also, how do I move the camera around to face the front or side of my character while in combat? Often, the camera isn't perfect, it gets stuck in a tree or something and it would be great to be able to move it without having the character turn.

Another thing that becomes difficult is to move in-game while having the mouse interact with windows outside the game. E.g., continue to move and zoom in-or-out on sotamap.

Mouseovers have become a lot harder to do as well. As I'm traveling through town, it's helpful to be able to mouseover a sign to see what it says without having to turn the character to do it. A lot of UI interactions have a poor experience due to this change, e.g., while moving doing something like checking inventory or opening the character sheet.

Preachyr and Wintermute of CoF like this.
  11. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I am an archer, and i do just fine. If nothing else, even better than my melee friends. Archery is ABOUT aiming and precision. Now player skill matters there.

Soliwilos and Fister Magee like this.
  12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Remember TAB changes your mode to the old style of interaction!!! This can be used in combat mode. You can also turn off the active mode from activating automatically.. do this, and the game will not seem so hard.

Acred likes this.
  13. gracy

gracy Avatar

I generally don't like the new combat system ... I'm close to hate it, but in particular:
    - I miss targeting with the mouse cursor ... alot!
    - I wowuld like that ranged attacks will hit my target, don't aggro a random mob don't know where
    - don't like to move all the screen till the view is all from above to be able to spot the target with the reticle

... please ... give us back the R28 nice and user friendly targeting system :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Osiris3 and Artair Geal like this.
  14. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

I think the imbalance here is your last sentence. I see it as the same and agree 150% even in PVP from what little ive done at low level. But I think that statement as well is where most our disagreement comes from. Now a bit OT here, but I've pvp'd for years in many games. Last release I was being beat by people who I know have less skill, because face it fighting a human target is different it takes practice and training, They weren't beating me the game was. Now that player skill will play a part this release will tell a different tale I predict.

15. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

no it does not

16. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Correction it changes it to a similar old style. The old R28 is gone and on good authority from a solid source, Not coming back. If the new style is completely unusable to you in the feedback forum is a post for why you cant use the new style. Post there and maybe they can implement some things you miss.

Fister Magee likes this.
  17. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Been playing around with the system for a few hours now trying to make it feel right.

I have found that when you zoom right in to first person mode then this mouse look system feels better, however still not great.
    I have zoomed in completely so that I am now playing in first person view. This makes the mouselook bearable, it is more like playing a first person game like skyrim.

However, this game was not built with this targeting mode in mind and other games were... So in this game it feels extremely jarring because of a bunch of little things. These are things that could be tweaked and make this system feel comfortable.. but at that point why not just go all out and copy a successful system like skyrim completely?

For one Example

The switching between mouse look and mouse interaction is jarring and unintuitive.
    The fix: Take away the switching to interactive mode. Stay in mouselook mode and add a 'use' or a 'take' key. In other games it is commonly the 'E' or 'F' keys. Something easy to access with the WASD movement layout. This key could be used to interact with anything in your target reticle, and function as a 'Take All' command in the loot window.
    Why it helps: It allows you to stay in mouselook and interact with objects and to loot corpses in a smooth and uninterrupted way. There is no constant switching between a target reticule and a cursor, combat and just game play in general keeps a better and more consistent flow.

There's other things which I won't bother to type out but my main point is that games which use this system of movement and targeting do so with it in mind from the start, and build accordingly. Trying to jam this system into this game at this point in time is just like jamming a square peg into a round hole. Sure you can force it but it's not going to feel right without a whole lot of work.

I liked the old system, it felt fine and was pretty standard for MMO's and games of this type.

I also like a free mouse look system and targeting in many big games that do it.

I do not like the bastardized hybrid of both that we are looking at now. Nothing about it feels right on either side of the coin and I just hope that a LOT more work is going to be put into making this a game that is actually built around this type of system. Which is unfortunate because that is time and effort that could have gone into new content instead.

Just my opinion after playing for a few hours now.

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  18. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

'similar' is not 'the same' and its NOT similar

obviously this is the way its going to be, i realize that
    see if i EVER put this amount of money into a kickstarter again .... burned, OUCH!
    guess i'll go play something that's actually fun to play

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  19. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

That's where we differ, from the few hours I had time to dive into it I had a blast, and like the changes, so one person's fun isn't always anothers. Sorry you feel this way really, hopefully they can polish it more so everyone can adapt. If this is a deal breaker for you sorry about that too. Thanks for pledging.

Tahru and Skyo like this.
  20. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

thanks are not needed
    a game i enjoy playing is

Leostemplar and agra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.